Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Trunk/Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone replaced their OEM struts for stronger ones so that the frunk and trunk open automatically once you pop them? I did so with the trunk, but haven’t with the frunk yet. Thinking about it, just seeing if anyone has feedback due to the frunk being thin aluminum. Great having the trunk open all the way and super easy to replace.

Can any of you list the parts you had to buy for the frunk and trunk struts, and any modifications you had to do to them?
For the Frunk all you need is the strut and no mods are necessary just swap out. Plenty of videos on YouTube. You can find the struts on Amazon they are the StrongArm 6304. They're made for Jeep Grand Cheorkee's but work just perfectly for the Frunk.

As for the trunk you need the StrongArm 4129 along with springs and washers. No mods are needed. Look up I1Telsa's YouTube video. He does a great job walking you through it.

I just did the trunk in the rain, LOL, after waiting a month for the parts. It seems this is a very desirable mod, and the Model 3 owners have wiped out the entire supply of 4129 struts on the planet.

I'd done the frunk last month. Not finding the recommended Strong Arm ones I used the more available

Lift Supports,ECCPP Front Hood Lift Support Struts Gas Springs for 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Compatible with 6304 Strut Set of 2

from Amazon ($19 for 2).

That's a 10 minute job. The recommended Strong Arm 6304PR parts might be better, if you find them. I had a few delayed openings at first, even one not-opening, but after applying a drop of silicone lubricant on the rods and a bit of break-in, the frunk now opens flawlessly every time.

The trunk requires a bit of patience. I ordered the Strong Arm 4129 struts on Amazon and just got them after a month. Another brand might or might not work, I wouldn't risk it on the trunk. The red springs need to be as i1Tesla specified on his Youtube video. I ordered my pair from Uxcell for like $7 shipped and they arrived (unannounced) from China in 3 weeks. I used some rubber grommets I had instead of the washers. Once you have the parts, that too is a 10 minute job. And it's working very well.

Immense value for money. Walk up with groceries and open the trunk from your phone, or the frunk, like on the more expensive Teslas. Grand total for both Trunk and Frunk, around $75.

And, BTW, I think the Model 3 Frunk is lightweight anyway and shouldn't be handled like the hood of a '54 Chevy. It took me a while to realize that it's like that center console - it likes steady pressure to latch it, and never a slam. The 6304 struts don't change things that way. The Frunk only feels a little stiffer during the first 20 degrees of closure, nothing to even think about unless you're determined to try twisting it, say by pulling at it from the side.

Has anyone replaced their OEM struts for stronger ones so that the frunk and trunk open automatically once you pop them? I did so with the trunk, but haven’t with the frunk yet. Thinking about it, just seeing if anyone has feedback due to the frunk being thin aluminum. Great having the trunk open all the way and super easy to replace.
Did frunk 2 months ago. No problems.

Anyone from California order from Amazon? I am trying to do this and Amazon said there is a shipping restriction and the item cannot be shipped to California. Trying to order
StrongArm 6304PR Jeep Grand Cherokee Hood Lift Support, Pair Pack of 2

I ordered everything from Amazon except the two red spring (from HongKong) some weeks ago, and if I try the ECCPP frunk 6304 struts now it doesn't mention restriction to CA.

BTW, no problems here on frunk or trunk, but people doing the trunk mod might consider looking for some sturdier metal ball sockets, one user here reports glass damage when the plastic top one popped off the ball.

At what point in the ordering process did it show a restriction?
I don't need another set, so I didn't click on Place Your order.
But are talking about the same item? These work 100% on my frunk.
Humbly suggest you grab these.

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 22.19.44.png

Last edited: