Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic trunk latch does not always work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got brand new 2020 MS.
The button on the inside of the trunk door brings the trunk door all the way down, but then it hesitates and aborts the closure operation. It does work sometimes, but when it does not work it seems to be random and without any obvious obstructions in the way. Are there any special sensors that in the trunk? Any clues? Thanks!

We also have a new 2020 MS (delivered 3/20) and have experienced the same thing on two different occasions. Both times after loading groceries, without any obvious obstruction. Each time we tried the button a couple of times and even tried to close using the touch screen. Had to close by hand each time. Appears random as it has worked prior to, and subsequently, to each incident.

Does it auto reverse when it doesn't close? If yes, it could be seal force affecting the closing. Check to see if the seal is fully seated on the body flange, especially at the top around the hinge/ power strut area. Sometimes, the seal force is too high where the power strut thinks there's an obstacle in the way like someone's arm since the current sensing system sees a huge spike from the power strut. And if your car is still under warranty I would take it back for SC ro fix it.

This seems to be a chronic issue with recent MS builds. I got my 2020 Raven in Mid-March (right before the factory closed) and my hatch would lower to just before latching and then abort. After 3 attempts it would give up and just emit warning beeps, forcing me to manually push down the hatch until it latched.

I asked mobile service to come out and the tech said it was a weak motor in the strut. He didn't have any parts on hand, so we rescheduled another mobile visit. When the second tech came, he slid his thumbs over the left and right edges of the hatch and reported it was just a misaligned strike plate. Took him 2 minutes to adjust and the hatch worked.

I've since had two other issues crop up in the first 2 months of ownership and after 3 mobile service visits plus a day at the SC, things are still not quite right (now the AUTO headlights are always on during the day). This is my second Model S (first one was flawless for 3.5 years), so I think the factory is getting sloppy. Still love the ride though.

Reactions: sdmack