Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Turn Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
Auto Turn Signal Off function is fantastic! All I have to do for any turn, just tap the stalk either up or down (depending on direction), and the car will do the rest, meaning the duration for the turn signal will be determined by the car, which has been working perfectly for simply lane change, multiple lane changes, full left/right turns, etc.

By the way, if you don't use turn signal, I hate you!

Living in a very snowy climate I find so far this feature needs a lot of work. I was excited to use it, turned it on right away and my first drive loved it when the roads were clear. However when you have roads that are snow covered and many times the car is unable to see the lines on the road it will not turn off the signal after you have switched lanes. So now, being used to a soft press to blink 3 times when changing lanes, the turn signal just stays on after you have switched lanes and you have to remember to soft press it again to now turn the signal off or you're that guy driving down the road with your turn signal on.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Living in a very snowy climate I find so far this feature needs a lot of work. I was excited to use it, turned it on right away and my first drive loved it when the roads were clear. However when you have roads that are snow covered and many times the car is unable to see the lines on the road it will not turn off the signal after you have switched lanes. So now, being used to a soft press to blink 3 times when changing lanes, the turn signal just stays on after you have switched lanes and you have to remember to soft press it again to now turn the signal off or you're that guy driving down the road with your turn signal on.
based on your use case, the auto signal function/feature does not need any more work. there is no car in the world can identify lanes covered by snow.

based on your use case, the auto signal function/feature does not need any more work. there is no car in the world can identify lanes covered by snow.
I dont disagree and not a reflection of the vehicle or of Tesla I merely stated a feature like this needs a lot more work if they want to market it as a viable feature for a vehicle that operates in a snowy climate. I would also assume FSD and auto steer on city streets will not be a feasible feature in Northern Ontario Canada. Well at least not for probably 6 months of the year.

Last edited:
I think Tesla preparing us that stalks will be removed from all cars soon.. but I agree, this new feature works awesome and after using it for a few days I started to think that having just turn buttons on the steering wheel makes more sense with this functionality.

Reactions: nate704
Overall I really like the new feature, but I've had it turn off prematurely on a couple of occasions. In one case I was in the right lane of an interstate and approaching my exit. I signaled right and it only blinked once. I tried again and it immediately turned off again. Was it because the car saw a solid white line to my right and not a travel lane, or was it just some other quirk or user error? It works correctly most of the time, so I haven't been able to find any pattern of when it isn't working right.

Overall I really like the new feature, but I've had it turn off prematurely on a couple of occasions. In one case I was in the right lane of an interstate and approaching my exit. I signaled right and it only blinked once. I tried again and it immediately turned off again. Was it because the car saw a solid white line to my right and not a travel lane, or was it just some other quirk or user error? It works correctly most of the time, so I haven't been able to find any pattern of when it isn't working right.
Did you have AP on? I've found that if AP is on, I need to hold the stalk for a couple of seconds before autosteer disengages and the signal stay on. If I just press the stalk once while AP is on, the turn signal flashes once and turns off.

@gx9901 - Yes - it looks like what I experienced was related to autopilot being on. I'm not sure why they set it up that way. If I'm in autopilot and activate the signal, I'm going to steer it out of autopilot when it's clear to make the lane change. The way it works now I have to take it out of autopilot as soon as I'm ready to signal the lane change. Not a big deal either way, but need to adjust the way I'm using it.

@dino007 - I had the turn signal stay on at least twice yesterday when I entered a turn lane, but it also turned off one time doing the same thing. I'm assuming the difference was whether the car could see the turn lane markings. I think the ones where it stayed on were much better marked than the one where it turned off.