Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Turn Signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been finding that it works great for lane changes and doesn't work at all for forks in the road (of which there are a lot in this part of New England), the signal just runs until you manually shut it off. These are often intersections where the turn is hard enough that the old-fashioned shutoff based on turning the wheel in older cars worked fine. Doesn't matter which branch of the Y I take. I guess it is unable to recognize it as a turn.

At highway exits where you need to do a couple lane changes it's irritating because it turns off after the first change and then needs to be turned back on again.

I've been using the auto turn signals for over a week now and I'm happy with it. I haven't had any premature signal cancels so far, at least none that I wasn't expecting, and its behavior has been predictable for me, so I find that I usually know when I will need to manually re-activate or cancel the signal. The only thing I would like Tesla to add is for the hard click on the stalk to be always-on and bypass the auto-cancel function. As mentioned, the hard click does the same thing as the soft click right now.

Reactions: BitJam
I doubt they will do it because they are planning to eventually use touch buttons on the yoke/wheel and get rid of the stalks.
Yep, I think this is the end game… eliminate the differentiation between tap and click through automation. I’m fine with it, because I really like the present state implementation.

And given the low proportion of Americans even use blinkers, I’d be game for a total automation. Nobody would notice.

• Funny
Reactions: heapmaster
Boy my experience has been quite the opposite. Two hours on road to Boston and then back, and the auto turn signals worked about 30% of the time. Mostly, after a changed lane, my blinker continued and I needed to manually shut it off. Further, I think the manual shut off is more difficult now that the auto switch has been activated.

This was the one feature in the new holiday download I was actually looking forward to using. Not anymore. This has been the most disappointing holiday update. Truly underwhelming.
Yes, I had similar issues, in that the usual shut off seemed to get worse once auto switch was activated. I actually went back into the menus to re-read what it said it does in case I had mis-read. Admittedly I haven’t tried it on a motorway yet but I ended up turning it off for now.

The auto turn signals worked mostly for me.

There are a few edge cases like changing between multiple lanes, where it does turn off. In that case I just hold the stalk in the first down position and proceed with the lane changes until the 2nd last lane change therefore when I get into the final lane it will turn off. Another would be I make a lane change into a turn right or only left only lane and want the signal to be still on but it turns off.

The last one maybe a bit of an oversight but if I have auto steering engaged and want to make a lane change, the turn signal gets canceled as auto steering gets disengaged whrn I take over the steering and I have to hit the stalk again.