Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic unlock charge port when PhoneKey is near?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if I missed something in settings, but is it possible to unlock the charging port if charging has stopped, and PhoneKey is nearby (at a generic public charging station)? I can remove the charging cable, but the adapter is locked into the port until I use mobile app to unlock
Thanks!

Last edited:
Sadly no, what works for me is to unlock the car from my phone or open a door and let the phone key unlock the car, then hold the button down on the charging cable to stop charging, then grab the cable and the adapter with the other hand and remove the adapter and cable at the same time, leaving the adapter plugged into the cable. I find it you pull the cable out and leave the adapter in the car, the car relocks the adapter then tries to shut the charge port door on the adapter.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
When you remove the charging cable using the J1772 adaptor, remove everything at once purposefully. Do like your normal home Tesla charger, open a car door first and then press the unlock button on the cable. That way, the charging port door will not hit an obstacle when closing. You can remove the J1772 adaptor from the cable afterwards.

If there's no button on the charger, unlock the charge port using your phone or the car's screen and remove the whole thing at once.

When you remove the charging cable using the J1772 adaptor, remove everything at once purposefully. Do like your normal home Tesla charger, open a car door first and then press the unlock button on the cable. That way, the charging port door will not hit an obstacle when closing. You can remove the J1772 adaptor from the cable afterwards.

If there's no button on the charger, unlock the charge port using your phone or the car's screen and remove the whole thing at once.

I'm not even sure you need the phone key nearby (although now that I think of it, that's somewhat of a security concern I guess).

I learned that if you press the release/unlatch button on the J1772 connector and wait a second or two, the charge port will unlock the adapter and you can then pull it out. No need to open a door or unlock the charge port with the app. I did that for about two years until I learned all I had to do was press the button and wait a second or two.