Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say the intricacies involved in Bluetooth communications, coupled with the car's software and/or hardware. For my first several months I'd use the keycard to unlock/lock my car. I did not have a good trust in having a smartphone do this (I still really don't; explanation follows later). Then I tried assigning my phone (Samsung J3) and it worked.... most of the time. I still had to dig out my keycard or cycle Bluetooth on my phone (airplane mode on, then off) from time to time. I later changed phones to a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and it didn't get any better. I'm now using a Samsung XCover Pro and automatic unlock seems to have gotten a bit better. Walk away lock has almost always worked for me; I listen for the beep as I'm walking away. If I don't hear it, then my backup is used.

Since I didn't, and really still don't, trust the car to unlock each time I walk up, I bought the first version of the fob (non-passive) and always carry it with me. If the car doesn't unlock when I'm next to it, I simply press the button on the fob in my pocket. This version has been superseded by the passive version, which is similar in operation to a phone as key; you just have to be near the car for it to work. I still have keycards with me; one in my wallet and the other superglued to my phone's holster.

What's fairly critical in getting the phone to work 100% of the time is to make sure there's nothing between it and the car. Like your butt. Having the phone in your back pocket is not the best for establishing communications. I keep my phone on a belt holster on my right hip. It's closest to the car when I open the driver side door. Still, Murphy's Law rears its head and if I'm carrying a couple of things in my hands, automatic unlock will not and I have to fiddle with my finger and hit the fob. I've gotten real good at opening the doors with a single finger.