TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Automatic WiFi Connection

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by postersw, Aug 1, 2019.

1. postersw

postersw Member

Does your WiFi automatically connect when in range (e.g. in your garage) ? My WiFi will NOT automatically connect - yet the car will show my WiFi network, with a strong signal, and I can manually tap on the network name and the car will connect (however, after an hour or so it will disconnect, and it will not automatically reconnect). Our phones and tablets do not exhibit this behavior - they all automatically connect. This happens to me on two different networks at different houses (one network is on a NetGear repeater, the other is on the primary router).
    My car is an M3 LR AWD, picked up in May 2019. It is still on version 2019.12.12, which was the original version.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

^^yes, my two 3's automatically connect to the house WiFi and always have. One car delivered Apr-18 and one in Aug-18. SW is current.

3. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I had an issue with my router, it broadcasts both 5GHz and 2.4 and the car said it was connected to 5GHz but it would not download any updates. I had it "forget" the 5GHz and haven't had any other issues

4. NYCR160

NYCR160 Member

I believe that the antenna is in the right side mirror. Try parking with the mirrors out and with then folded to see if that helps.

• Informative x 1
  5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

6. bquist

bquist Member

did you have any luck with this... I am having the same problem, Model S P85 2014... the car almost never auto connects to wifi, at least it is were seldom that it connects right away... when it does auto connect it takes atleast 15 minutes or so (longer than I bother waiting to see if it works, but in most cases, the day after, then it has connected) I mostly want the car to connect automatically to my phones hotspot to get internet connection, but I usually have to manually "press" connect.

7. towndrunk

towndrunk Member

In the US, I believe the antenna is in the driver-side mirror.

As was suggested, try "forgetting" your current connection and re-enter the password on it to connect.

8. jrweiss98020

jrweiss98020 Member

If the car does not support the 5GHz band, it would not detect and show it...

9. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

That doesn't mean it won't show it. It won't connect to it. But maybe Tesla is wrong?

10. jrweiss98020

jrweiss98020 Member

If the car does not have a 5GHz receiver, how can it see an SSID signal transmitted on the 5GHz band, so it can then show it?

11. WarEagleX

WarEagleX Member

My 2020 supports 802.11ac which is both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. I don't know about older models. And yes, if it didn't support 5Ghz you would not see the SSID unless it was broadcasting in both bands on the same SSID.

Attached Files: