Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic WiFi Connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your WiFi automatically connect when in range (e.g. in your garage) ? My WiFi will NOT automatically connect - yet the car will show my WiFi network, with a strong signal, and I can manually tap on the network name and the car will connect (however, after an hour or so it will disconnect, and it will not automatically reconnect). Our phones and tablets do not exhibit this behavior - they all automatically connect. This happens to me on two different networks at different houses (one network is on a NetGear repeater, the other is on the primary router).
My car is an M3 LR AWD, picked up in May 2019. It is still on version 2019.12.12, which was the original version.

did you have any luck with this... I am having the same problem, Model S P85 2014... the car almost never auto connects to wifi, at least it is were seldom that it connects right away... when it does auto connect it takes atleast 15 minutes or so (longer than I bother waiting to see if it works, but in most cases, the day after, then it has connected) I mostly want the car to connect automatically to my phones hotspot to get internet connection, but I usually have to manually "press" connect.

That doesn't mean it won't show it. It won't connect to it. But maybe Tesla is wrong?

My 2020 supports 802.11ac which is both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. I don't know about older models. And yes, if it didn't support 5Ghz you would not see the SSID unless it was broadcasting in both bands on the same SSID.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 8.32.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 8.32.30 PM.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 153