TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Automatically reading text messages through audio system

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by bob_p, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bob_p

bob_p Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Unfortunately, we can't do this in our $100K P85.

When I paired my smartphone with a rental Toyota Camry today, it began to read incoming text and e-mail messages to me as I was driving.

It's not just that Tesla cars are behind in providing Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, we lack the smartphone integration present in many, much less expensive, other vehicles.
    • Like x 3
  2. brooklynrab

brooklynrab Member

Mar 21, 2014
  3. flashflood

flashflood Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Yeah. Tesla is SO much like Apple that way. They invent the coolest stuff (or, at least, did when Jobs was alive), execute 80% of it stunningly well in the first version, and then just never get around to other 20%. They just do other cool new stuff instead, which is why $100k will now buy you a car that has AutoPilot but still no light in the vanity mirror; goes 0-60 in 2.5 seconds but still has the turning radius of the QE2; and has an iPhone app that was groundbreaking three years ago but hasn't changed at all since then.

There are so many simple, obvious things that could be added to the app. For example, remote camera activation. That would let you make sure there's no one sketchy near your car if you had to park in a bad neighborhood, or would let you keep an eye on your house or property while on vacation. And even more basic stuff, like checking the mileage.
  4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

May 31, 2015
    Northern California
    Tesla really needs to come up with an API set for the non vehicle stuff so 3rd parties can go wild. That would really differentiate them from the locked in dash folks.