Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatically switched to Creep mode!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
I've had my 3 for three years now, almost to the day. Initially it was in 'roll' mode, then 'hold' when it came available six months or something after purchase.

I switch it to 'creep' and 'chill' mode for a half hour per year because I don't trust the inspection station personnel to not crash it otherwise. That was about two weeks ago, and I've driven it a decent amount since then, having almost immediately switched it back to 'hold' and 'standard' mode.

For some reason, when I went to move it this morning, it was back in 'Creep' mode! I didn't believe it at first, but sure enough, the screen now says its in Creep. I didn't get a firmware update overnight(2021.12.25.7) or anything.

I switched it back and all is well. Has anyone else seen this?

settings can get mysteriously changed. its annoying.

I find the voice volume for gps to be changed 'magically' even though I have not taken an update in almost a year now (really).

I set the warning distance (forget the button name) to be 'late' so that it does not false trigger and some days it gets reset to the middle option.

tesla does not really respect user settings. some things you cant help, if a major upgrade happens, but converting the data formats is part of the job in software, and tesla does not take it seriously for some reason.

it rarely happens; but it does happen.

I wish there was an expert mode where we could export json config of the car, save it and re-import it if the car changes things on us. ($ git clone tesla, LOL)

I havent seen this, or read of this specific setting changing, @Sophias_dad , but some settings do change as @linux-works mentions.

The only thing that comes immediately to mind is profiles, like @GtiMart mentioned. Maybe an inadvertent profile switch, and the profile switched to has the exact same settings other than creep / roll / hold mode as your normal profile?

or maybe it updates part of the struct (group of settings) but also updates the wrong profile.

I think that may be it, or part of it; very rarely, but a few times in the last few weeks I moved my seat and 'accepted' the new location. that triggers a profile update. my GUESS is that it didnt' read the full set of data before it wrote it back out. read all (including gps playback volume) and then write all back out again (even though only my seat pos changed, in my example).

just a guess, but this is a common software bug.

either its that, or there are ota updates over lte that are invisible to us and make changes, somehow. I have no valid wifi that my car knows about and I'm not near open ssid's, so either something I did triggered a fake settings update, or it came in via ota updates (not likely) or something in the code paniced and reset to defaults on some structs.

I hate not having code to check; and just having to guess, lol.

Reactions: Transformer
I suppose that if you have only 1 profile, it will always update the [only] one it has.

like I said, common mistake but should have been caught in unit or system test.

wonder what other data struct update bugs there are? (we should never have to ask that, as users)

I have only one driver that ever uses my 3, and I do recall pressing 'Restore' not long ago. I have also been seeing notifications on the screen that seemed to indicate that the profile was changing(asking if I'd like to 'save', or something similar). I just checked it out again, and my saved profile definitely includes 'Hold'.

Oh well, I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for all the ideas.

I've had my 3 for three years now, almost to the day. Initially it was in 'roll' mode, then 'hold' when it came available six months or something after purchase.

I switch it to 'creep' and 'chill' mode for a half hour per year because I don't trust the inspection station personnel to not crash it otherwise. That was about two weeks ago, and I've driven it a decent amount since then, having almost immediately switched it back to 'hold' and 'standard' mode.

For some reason, when I went to move it this morning, it was back in 'Creep' mode! I didn't believe it at first, but sure enough, the screen now says its in Creep. I didn't get a firmware update overnight(2021.12.25.7) or anything.

I switched it back and all is well. Has anyone else seen this?
This just happened to me today. The car was in creep mode after the tires were changed. Can't imagine the the mechanic made the change. I was in the correct profile and after googling the Isaí I switched back to hold mode. But get this - 20 minutes later it was back in creep mode! Now that's creepy! And scary cuz I almost hit the wall in the garage.

if you have 2 driver profiles.

driver a, hold mode
driver b, creep mode.

If you put the car in D, while in driver b profile, then switch to driver a, it will change the setting of driver 1 to creep.
It shouldn't change permanently, but I've noticed this behavior (on an S) when changing profiles not in Park. Creep/Roll/Hold can't be changed while the car is in gea, so that value doesn't change during that profile swap. If you put the car in Park, then swap back and forth, profile A should go back to Hold mode.

However, if you make a change to the profile A when it has the "wrong" Creep/Roll/Hold mode, then that wrong value will get saved to profile A. Keep in mind it's been at least a year or two since I've tried to play with this behavior and newer software may "autosave" the incorrect Creep/Roll/Hold immediately without changing any other profile settings.

It's a bug they should really fix, because if you're expecting Hold and you get Roll (on a hill) or Creep (anywhere) it can cause vehicle damage and/or injury to a pedestrian.