Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automobile Magazine.... big wheels and it's affect on ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion 21 inch wheels are more about looks than performance. It's not necessary to run thin profile to get road feel. Right tire is enough. Sidewalls of racing slicks are extremely stiff and provide more feel with higher profile.

There are no 21 inch racing tyres produced. 20 inch is very rare. (I'm not talking about drag racing. Not an expert in that.)

WRC cars set for tarmac have a bit higher profile
282039_wrc_ogier_s_spain.jpeg

Oh and how are these guys able to turn in at all?
2007-Scuderia-Torro-Rosso-STR2-F1-Wheel-1920x1440.jpg

They are able to turn because the track has superelevation in spades. If the track is superelevated enough it's possible to drive it without turning the steering wheel.

The *wheels* are all the same size; this is about smaller diameter rims vs larger dia rims. Comparing one to the other be sure to inflate to 48-50 psi or its apples<=>oranges.

Rotational inertia may actually be *greater* with the 19in rims due to the tire density>alum density [this tidbit from @jerry33], but in any event this should not be significant.
--

The *wheels* are all the same size; this is about smaller diameter rims vs larger dia rims.

That's a confusing statement. 'Wheel' and 'rim' are interchangeable terms, 'rim' in context of automobiles being a more slang term that's roots to the days of spokes.
Rotational inertia may actually be *greater* with the 19in rims due to the tire density>alum density

If you're talking about 19s vs 21s on a Tesla [with the same model wheels/tires], the 21s will always have higher mass and rotational inertia than the 19s. The 21" wheels are much heavier than the 21" tires are lighter (many pounds for the wheels and a pound or so for the tires), and the larger diameter wheel pushes a significant bulk of its mass farther out...so its all bad from that angle.

I'm also not sure about that density statement. For those tires that use steel in the sidewalls I suppose the rubber+steel density could be about the same (+/-) than aluminum, but I'd be surprised if it was ever enough more that it could possibly make a difference. I'd like to see where that statement comes from.

I was trying to show that big rim/ low profile is not necessary for good performance. Having driven on five F1 tracks, I can say that turning the steering wheel is required to do a lap :)

Correct. My bad. I wasn't thinking F1.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a confusing statement. 'Wheel' and 'rim' are interchangeable terms, 'rim' in context of automobiles being a more slang term that's roots to the days of spokes.

Technically, they're not interchangeable (even though people use them that way, similar to how theory is used when the correct term is hypothesis). The wheel is the entire "metal structure" including the rim when the spokes are fused to the rim, the rim is the part of the wheel that touches the tire. So a wheel has rim width, rim diameter, etc. Of course it used to be easier (and still is on some large trucks) because the wheel was the part with the hub and spokes and the rim was the part that holds the tire.

I know, I know. But I love them and couldn't resist. I expect, one day when I actually grow up, I'll go to 19's when I am tired of 500/tire and blowouts. Haven't had one yet. Knock on wood.

PS: I actually did knock on wood!
It may not happen when you grow up because when I ordered my Model S I got the 19's because I wanted to be practicle and after 6 months thought why do I want to be practicle and purchased the 21's. I really think the handling is better and so are the looks, yes you have to deal with curb rash and tire wear etc. but would not go back. My age my dictate my decision because I'm at the point in my life that I do not want to wait to enjoy it.

Ride quality is a preference. Some are willing to trade off some ride quality vs. looks. Women have being doing it forever- you think those high heels are as comfy as some Nike's ? They wear them to look good. It's always a trade off- thats life.

Except that some of us don't think huge rims wrapped in skinny low-profile rubber look good. To my eyes that's ugly. So... It's the worst of both worlds, from where I sit.

And others think the 21"s are great.

I have had 21" tires on this car and on my Porsche Panamera 4S before. Low profile tires absolutely do make a difference in handling, and but it also impacts ride quality if you have poor roads. Where I live, there are roads that are acceptable for 21" tires.

I also think the Tesla 21" wheels are attractive just as they are. I have no problem with them offering smaller rims for others, but I don't want to sacrifice the handling abilities, nor do I like the looks of small wheels on such a big, high performance car.

I hope Tesla does not let their existing customers make demands to neuter the car to the point that car enthusiasts will no longer consider it. I've heard that the current P85D no longer has staggered wheels ... Disappointing.

The New York winter (and my bankrupt suburban county's inability to pay for repairs) has left the roads near me so destroyed that I'm afraid to put my 20" summer tires on. I've got less than 7000 miles on my BMW M5 and I already had one of my fancy summer wheels destroyed by a pot hole last year.

I just ordered my P85D with the stock 19s, if the handling is acceptable, I may never buy a set of big summer performance tires.