Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automotive Wax and Top Coating Experiment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a fun experiment which I am sharing so others can give their input and maybe learn something along the way. I’m not saying one product is better than another. I’m simply showing what works best in my application.

I do not like washing vehicles. I work in a dusty environment and for years lived on a no winter maintenance dirt road. For nearly all my life, the roads were either muddy, or dusty. So to me, washing cars was a waste of time and resources. Now that I moved to a paved road, and recently purchased a Model 3, I would like to keep vehicles clean with the least effort.

I primarily use Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax on my Jeep Wrangler and it has worked very well for me. It does not leave pasty white film on the soft top or plastic or black power coated fenders. It also brings out a deep shine in the red metallic paint. Now that it is time to wax this vehicle again, I decided to experiment with different brands of wax and top coatings to see what performs the best.

I washed the hood with dish soap and used a clay bar to strip all the wax on the hood of my Jeep Wrangler. I then used painters tape to divide the hood into sections. I chose a few brands of wax and top coatings to apply in these sections so I could monitor their performance and longevity over the harsh winter months in PA. In the spring I will determine what works best and choose that wax for all my non ceramic coated vehicles.

For my Model 3, I did have a Gold Package of Ceramic Pro applied to the Model 3, as well as having the front end wrapped in SunTek Ultra. The front end, with PPF and Ceramic Pro, does very well repelling dirt. Simply driving in the rain washes nearly all dirt and bugs off the hood and front end. I am very impressed. However, the rest of the car does not repel dirt all that well. I was told it would make cleaning the car much easier, and touchless car washes will leave it sparkling. Does Ceramic Pro do this? Yes, on the areas where it is applied to PPF. On the rest of the car, I do not think it lives up to the hype. Using a 2 bucket wash method, I do not feel this makes washing the car any easier. This is simply my opinion. We are currently in the winter months on the East Coast with extra crud on the roads. I will see if it seems to wash any differently in summer conditions. Perhaps ceramic coatings perform better in dry climates with light dust coatings. In my opinion, I do not see a dramatic improvement in keeping the car cleaner when exposed to the harsh conditions of the East Coast. How the Ceramic Pro works as a paint protectant compared to wax has yet to be determined. Ceramic Pro Rain was also applied to the glass on the Model 3. I am extremely impressed with Ceramic Pro Rain and how it beads water excellently on glass surfaces. It does not cause any stuttering with the Model 3 windshield wipers either.

Products applied to the panels:

Hydrosilex: Marketed as a top coat, or stand alone coating which is incredibly expensive per oz. This product is new to me, but was recommended as a “ceramic safe” top coating for ceramic coated cars. I applied this to one section of the hood per the manufactures directions using a clean microfiber cloth.

Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax: I have used this product on all my vehicles prior. Inexpensive per oz. I simply spray it on and wipe down the vehicle after it has been washed and dried. Removes water spots and leaves a sparkling shine on the vehicle. Currently my go to favorite, and I wanted to see how it stacks up to the Hydrosilex. I applied this to one section of the hood per the manufactures directions using a clean microfiber cloth.

Meguiars #6 Cleaner Wax: I have never used this product before, but my co-worker says it is the only product he uses and has been using it for years. I decided to test it because he wanted to see how it compares to the products I currently use. I applied this to one section of the hood per the manufactures directions using a clean microfiber cloth.

Nu Finish: Marketed as a once a year car polish, relatively inexpensive, and found at the local auto parts store. I have read good reviews on this liquid wax, and one youtube video claims it lasts nearly as long as the consumer version of cQuartz. I have never used it before, but I applied this to one section of the hood per the manufactures directions using a clean microfiber cloth.

Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax: I use this on my Jeep Wrangler and it seems to last long, it is fairly inexpensive, and it is extremely easy to apply. It does not leave a white film on my soft top or black plastic and black powder coated pieces of the vehicle. I applied this to one section of the hood per the manufactures directions using a clean microfiber cloth.

Chemical Guys Jet Seal: A local detailer applied this product to my Jeep Pickup Truck last year. It is marketed as a one year paint sealant product. It makes the deep blue paint on the truck sparkle and sheds water and dirt very well when washing the vehicle. I applied this to a panel to see how it compares to the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax. I applied this to one section of the hood per the manufactures directions using a clean microfiber cloth.

labels.png

Top Coatings on Left. Blank panel is a control with no wax. Liquid Wax on the right side of blank panel.

IMG_20181119_071209.jpg

Early morning dew on the wax sections.
The image below is after the vehicle was driven for a month, and left parked in extremely dusty conditions. I took a gallon of water and poured it on the hood and the results were immediate. The Hydrosilex immediately shed all the water. This surprised me as I thought the Hydrosilex was going to be a gimmick. About 30 seconds later the Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax began to shed water decently as well. As far as the liquid waxes are concerned, the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax began to shed water immediately, and the Chemical Guys began to shed water after about 20 seconds as well. None of the panels were left cleaner after dumping water on them, so none of the coatings worked very well to self clean. However, the hood was extremely dirty with a thick coating of dust on all the panels.

IMG_20181220_091002~2.jpg

The image below was taken a few days after the image above. Again, same scenario and the different products performed as the test the few days prior. Hydrosilex shed all the water immediately, followed by the Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax. The Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax also began to shed immediately with the Chemical Guys Jet Seal soon after.

IMG_20181218_161301.jpg

The image below was taken 2 months after application. This was the first time I washed the vehicle. I used a foam cannon to apply soap to the hood. I washed gently with a microfiber brush, and pressure washed off the soap. Immediately the Hydrosilex shed all the water. I am shocked, as I assumed this product was not worth the high cost per oz. I used the pressure washer to wash right to left, reached in my pocket for my phone and took the photo. By the time I took the photo this was the results.

IMG_20181229_115042~2.jpg

In the final image, you can see the Hydrosilex did extremely well at shedding and beading water. The Turtle Wax Ice Spray wax was close behind. I am disappointed that 2 months in and the regular liquid wax is not performing well. You can see the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax still begin to shed water on the right side.

I will continue to monitor this and update in a few months on the durability of the Hydrosilex and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax, and also the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax and Chemical Guys Jet Seal. The other 2 types of wax seem to be a no go.

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_145947.jpg
    IMG_20181117_145947.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 365
Thanks , it is fantastic experiment that you have started !!!

I look forward to the updates from your testing , as I just got a RED Model 3 myself a few days before Christmas.
And am starting to look into what product to use .

How much is the price difference between the 2 best products so far ?

Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax Vs. Hydrosilex

Thanks , it is fantastic experiment that you have started !!!

I look forward to the updates from your testing , as I just got a RED Model 3 myself a few days before Christmas.
And am starting to look into what product to use .

How much is the price difference between the 2 best products so far ?

Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax Vs. Hydrosilex

Local store price and Amazon price for Hydrosilex is $59 for 32 oz.
Local store price for Turtle Wax Ice Spray wax is over $11, but on Amazon it is $7.19 for 20 oz.

If bought on Amazon:
Hydrosilex $1.84 per oz
Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax $0.35 per oz

Hydrosilex is approx. 5x more expensive!

Excellent experiment. To add a little context to your comment about Ceramic Pro not performing on other sections of the car.

Ceramic coatings do an excellent job at making cleaning your vehicle even easier but if there is a layer of contamination on top of the coating then it will naturally not work as well. Living in the midwest and having installed many Opti-Coat Pro coatings I would always tell my customers that they can expect little to no hydrophobics in the winter time and this is just due to the salt, sand and other things on the road that get caked on the vehicle and diminish the coatings properties.

To restore your coatings hydrophobics make sure to always first consult your Installer who did the work but you should be able to perform a chemical decontamination wash on the vehicle come spring time and it will get rid of the layer of contamination on top of the coating.

Excellent experiment. To add a little context to your comment about Ceramic Pro not performing on other sections of the car.

Ceramic coatings do an excellent job at making cleaning your vehicle even easier but if there is a layer of contamination on top of the coating then it will naturally not work as well. Living in the midwest and having installed many Opti-Coat Pro coatings I would always tell my customers that they can expect little to no hydrophobics in the winter time and this is just due to the salt, sand and other things on the road that get caked on the vehicle and diminish the coatings properties.

To restore your coatings hydrophobics make sure to always first consult your Installer who did the work but you should be able to perform a chemical decontamination wash on the vehicle come spring time and it will get rid of the layer of contamination on top of the coating.

Thank You for the feedback. When I hand washed the ceramic coated car for the first time it was very dirty. I rinsed off the whole car and washed panel by panel with a microfiber mop using Americana "Ceramic Safe" soap with a two bucket method. I actually went over the whole car twice this way to make sure it was clean. I then rinsed off the car again with water and to my surprise there was still a film all over the car. I then used a different microfiber mitt and went over the car two more times, with fresh soap and water using a two bucket method. Only then did it get clean. Maybe it was the Americana soap. Normally I can do my other vehicles with a different brand of soap and they get clean the first time. I was disappointed because it certainly did not seem "easier to wash" this way. I'll try again in the summer and see how the Americana performs. If not I'll continue to use Turtle Wax Ice brand of car wash soap. It seems to work well on my other vehicles.

Thank You for the feedback. When I hand washed the ceramic coated car for the first time it was very dirty. I rinsed off the whole car and washed panel by panel with a microfiber mop using Americana "Ceramic Safe" soap with a two bucket method. I actually went over the whole car twice this way to make sure it was clean. I then rinsed off the car again with water and to my surprise there was still a film all over the car. I then used a different microfiber mitt and went over the car two more times, with fresh soap and water using a two bucket method. Only then did it get clean. Maybe it was the Americana soap. Normally I can do my other vehicles with a different brand of soap and they get clean the first time. I was disappointed because it certainly did not seem "easier to wash" this way. I'll try again in the summer and see how the Americana performs. If not I'll continue to use Turtle Wax Ice brand of car wash soap. It seems to work well on my other vehicles.

The reason the Turtle Wax Ice soap seems to perform better is because it has built in waxes or sealants in it whereas the Americana soap may not have anything in it and is strictly just a soap.

Again I encourage you to reach out to your Installer about performing a chemical decontamination wash come spring time but for us at Optimum we advise washing with a heavy degreaser, acid and then a rinseless wash (ONR) to get everything off of the coating and then it is restored for the rest of the year until winter time again.

The reason the Turtle Wax Ice soap seems to perform better is because it has built in waxes or sealants in it whereas the Americana soap may not have anything in it and is strictly just a soap.

Again I encourage you to reach out to your Installer about performing a chemical decontamination wash come spring time but for us at Optimum we advise washing with a heavy degreaser, acid and then a rinseless wash (ONR) to get everything off of the coating and then it is restored for the rest of the year until winter time again.

Thank You for your input. I will reach out and see what they say. Having to acid wash a car after winter to restore hydrophobic properties is much more labor intensive that this was made out to be. Never had to do this with wax coatings.

I removed all the top coatings as I felt Hydrosilex was the clear winner. I applied JetSeal to my Wrangler and topped it with Hydrosilex. Extremely slick and I can hose dust right off and blow the Jeep dry with a leaf blower.

I am now testing P&S Beadmaker on the Tesla Model 3. I feel it is as slick as Hydrosilex, and much cheaper. I will attempt to do a side by side comparison of P&S Beadmaker vs Hydrosilex. P&S Beadmaker is cheaper, smells amazing, is easy to apply, and beads very well. The glossiness of P&S Beadmaker blows all the other products out of the water, and I am leaning towards this as my new favorite.

I decided to do another experiment on the delivery truck at work. This truck has 275,000 miles on it and the paint is in rough shape.
I used a clay bar and IronX for a chemical decontamination. I did not polish the paint, and scratches and swirl marks are very visible.

I wanted to test a new product I have been using, P&S Beadmaker. Someone also suggested Turtle Wax Seal & Shine.
Both products are available on Amazon for a great price.
I applied according to the instructions. Waited 30 minutes, and then applied another coat for thorough coverage.

Since I have some Hydrosilex and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax, I threw them in the mix since they have worked for me in the past.
I also had a sample bottle of CarPro Reload, but I forgot about it and never applied it. I'll see how that stacks up in another test.

IMG_20190711_203500~2.jpg

The following day at work I had a coworker feel the different panels. He did not know which product was applied where.
I also applied these products to the doors, tailgate, and hood.
P&S Beadmaker was consistently chosen as being the slickest panel on all 3 test areas around the truck.

When applying the products, P&S Beadmaker applies the easiest and was not streaky.
Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax was the streakiest product to apply.
Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine applied fairly easy with minimal streaking.
Hydrosilex was extremely water repellent and when applying the 2nd coat, it beaded right off itself.

Under a 1,500 lumen flashlight, P&S Beadmaker appeared the most glossy.
The following day, all panels appeared similar in gloss under a humid, cloudy sky.
I misted the panels with water and all bead in a similar fashion.

I will monitor weekly to see how the products self clean and hold up to the environment.

3 Day Update

I pressure washed the test area. All panels beaded water similar. Hydrosilex may have a slight edge in shedding water off.
Drove down the road at 55mph. All panels shed 95% of the water. I ran my hand over and Beadmaker is the slickest, followed closely by Turtle Wax Seal & Shine, then Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax, and Hydrosilex last.

So far Beadmaker seems the glossiest and one of the slickest.

I will pressure wash the panels again in the future to see how durable they are and how they withstand a dusty work environment.

Great experiments. Thanks for sharing.

How do you apply the products? Spray on to a clean and dry car and then immediately wipe off with a microfiber? Do you let it sit for a few minutes first?

You have ceramic coat on your PPF but it would be good to know which of these products are safe to apply to PPF. I apply bead maker to my PPF and seems safe, but I have some turtle wax ice spray and I'm scared to try it.

Great experiments. Thanks for sharing.

How do you apply the products? Spray on to a clean and dry car and then immediately wipe off with a microfiber? Do you let it sit for a few minutes first?

You have ceramic coat on your PPF but it would be good to know which of these products are safe to apply to PPF. I apply bead maker to my PPF and seems safe, but I have some turtle wax ice spray and I'm scared to try it.

I apply according to the directions on the bottle. Most of these are spray on, wipe off. Very simple.

My Model 3 is ceramic coated. When the ceramic coating was professionally applied, the shop recommended pressure washing the car as a no touch method. They said it would get clean that way. I was never impressed and it was never all that clean after pressure washing at the local car wash. So after a few months I began a 2 bucket wash method at home, and began top coating the ceramic coating with a spray like Hydrosilex or Turtle Wax Ice Spray as a final touch up on any water spots since I have hard water at home. Using a pressure washer to wash the car with these coatings applied, it still never got clean using a pressure washer alone. Recently I started using Beadmaker. On Saturday I was running some errands and the car was filthy with dust and bugs. I quickly pressure washed off the car since I didn't have time for a thorough 2 bucket wash and jumped in the car and went about my day and let the wind blow dry the car. When I got to my first destination I was amazed at how clean the car was. It was 99% clean. Usually pressure washing alone left a light film on the car, but not with Beadmaker. I was extremely impressed with how clean it got with pressure washing alone. Beadmaker doesn't last all that long compared to other products on the market, but it has been working well for me as a final wipe down spray and gloss enhancer. I've heard the Turtle Wax Seal & Shine lasts a lot longer, and I am interested in seeing how it compares to the Beadmaker in the test I am running on the Blue Truck.

3 Week Update

Truck has not been washed yet. All panels are filthy with dust. The Hydrosilex panels are obviously less dusty. The Beadmaker and Turtle Wax Ice Spray are the second cleanest, and the Turtle Wax Seal & Shine is the dirtiest of all the panels.

I ran the truck through a touchless car wash and all panels were clean at the end. I ran a pressure washer over the panels to test beading properties after 3 weeks. Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax is beginning to fail and is almost gone. The others are repelling water similar.

I ran my fingers over the panels and Beadmaker is still extremely slick feeling. The other panels are grippy and rougher to the touch.

Great stuff, very informative. I'll be ordering my model 3 shortly, and am researching the PPF & coating options. I'm in Montreal, so like you, the weather is a factor. PPF is going to be a must, but I've been told by a detailer that a $1000 ceramic coating in our climate does not hold up and is a waste of money, so the DIY products that you're testing seem like great options to apply on top of PPF, if they're considred safe, I know Hydosilex is. Am excited to continue hearing about your results. Cheers, JC

Great stuff, very informative. I'll be ordering my model 3 shortly, and am researching the PPF & coating options. I'm in Montreal, so like you, the weather is a factor. PPF is going to be a must, but I've been told by a detailer that a $1000 ceramic coating in our climate does not hold up and is a waste of money, so the DIY products that you're testing seem like great options to apply on top of PPF, if they're considred safe, I know Hydosilex is. Am excited to continue hearing about your results. Cheers, JC

I have Suntek Ultra PPF (Front bumper, fenders, and hood) and Ceramic Pro on the Tesla. The PPF is something I'd do again no questions asked. The Ceramic Coating is a waste of money IMO. I have not seen the benefits of this product. Maybe on a show car, but not for a daily driver. Hydrosilex is a really great product, but somewhat expensive. So far Beadmaker has been working fantastic for the price point. I still have some Hydrosilex around that I use on the glass since it works so well.

I took my car in for a warranty inspection at Ceramic Pro last week. They need to do a yearly inspection to maintain the lifetime coating warranty. I was told it would be a visual inspection over the phone, but then they insisted they wash the car (and make me pay) once I arrived. I had already spent time washing the car and I had applied Beadmaker before coming as part of my final wipedown process. After they washed the car and inspected it, the Ceramic Pro folks said they were amazed at how well the car was beading water and how slick it was and that the Ceramic Coating was working exceptionally well on my car. I never did tell them it was top coated with Beadmaker.