TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

automotorsporttv : Roadster Sport

Discussion in 'Video' started by TEG, Feb 5, 2010.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Outstanding video ! :cool: Tack! (Not that I speak Swedish...)

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Great stuff!
    The way the car is worshiped in the US, especially here in LA, it's amazing that only crap coverage come out of here unless it's a $$$ commercial.

4. mt2

mt2 Member

Loved it!

Didn't understand a single word, but loved it!

5. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Very funny! Did you see the out-take right at the end?

I spotted TC on full power too.

That's the best looking car I've seen love the colour, love the wheels, love the carbon.

I might not know Swedish but I got "bye bye Porsche"

6. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I think he had it in "Park" and didn't realize it. :rolleyes:

7. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

#7 bobw, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    Det var jätte bra! Grönt är nu min favorit Tesla färg.

I can speak baby Swedish. I don't spell it so well, and this keyboard doesn't handle the three extra vowels. I had to cut and paste.

I especially like the way they took advantage of the dark, wet Swedish winter. I suppose they get more practice than folks in LA.

My daughter, whose Swedish is much better than mine, chuckled at one point. When I asked her, she said that he said that people complain about traffic noise, but with the quiet electric cars they get run over because they don't hear the car coming. Typical Swedish irony.

8. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Good to know that behind our differences, behind our diverse cultures and languages we're pulled together by an instinctive need to whine about our lot :)

9. eledille

eledille TMS 85 owner :)

#9 eledille, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Translation

This review was so good that I just had to translate it :)

One November day in 2009 my relationship to cars completely changed. Quite suddenly all modern and sophisticated cars appeared hopelessly outdated. My favorites didn't seem desirable any more. An electric car had set my heart on fire - the super fast and super quiet Tesla Roadster.

But where did this Tesla come from, I hadn't heard of it before. In 2002, the founders of PayPal and Google wanted a cool and fast electric car, nothing mediocre like Think or G-Wiz, which are moped cars. They got help from Lotus, experts at making small series sports cars. And here we have an Elise cousin that can do 400 km per charge.

Many of our viewers have probably, if not owned, then at least tested the hybrid electric Prius. Very cool to run on electricity, silent and no exhaust. But you have to drive as if you had an egg between your foot and the accelerator in order to avoid having the gasoline engine start up. And you can't go faster than 50, and only for a few km. Incredibly annoying.

But in the Tesla you just floor the gas pedal. Gas? There is no gas. The potentiometer, then? But the rotating potentiometer speed regulator on my radio controlled cars of old always burned and stuck at full power. I think we'll call it frequency pedal, as the motor is frequency controlled - so we floor the frequency pedal - Wo-ho!

Absolutely unbelievable!

The coolest thing is to cruise at 70 and prepare to overtake. Bang! It hits you in the back like a kick from a horse - and there's no engine sound! Totally bizarre.

The electric motor produces max torque instantly, there is no delay like there is with turbos and suchlike, and the acceleration is hyper explosive and turns anything we've experienced from internal combustion engined cars upside down.

Where the engine is situated in an Elise we find instead 6831 lithium ion batteries, 375 volts and 53 kilowatt-hours. Those are the same kWh that we pay about 1.25 for on the power bill, so a full tank costs 66 kroner. The max power is 215 kW, or 288 horse power for those of us who have gasoline for blood.

To let you understand just how fast the Tesla really is, we recruit an icon for help - Porche 911, throughout decennia the very symbol of the ultimate sports car. It has always had fantastic performance for its time. The Carrera will do 0-100 in 4.7 seconds, and does not stop accelerating until it's reached 287 km/h.

(Revving Carrera enigne) - Wow, maybe I should start revving my engine too? Vroom, vroom!

So long, Porche! What an embarrassment! Bye, bye Porche! Stunning! Total superiority!

It's the whiplike acceleration from standstill that makes the difference. It actually is car sickness inducing. But it's possible for the Tesla to humiliate the Porche even further by preparing it. If we top it off in Performance mode a couple of times, so the batteries get the right temperature, it will do 0-100 in less than 4 seconds.

But it's not just about going fast in a straight line. It's got no steering servo, and it's light so it can manage without one. This results in a razor sharp steering feel.

Compared to Elise and other such light cars, you can feel that the batteries are mounted a little bit high up. You feel the slightly higher center of gravity, but we can hardly say it suffers from it.

Time for charging. If you have three phase 16 amps you get a "full tank" in 15-16 hours. But few people have outlets that large. You can also charge from the same outlet you plug your toaster in, but then it will charge for about 24 hours. But you never empty it all the way, maybe you plug in at 25% or so, and then charging will take proportionately shorter time. So you have to plan your driving a bit more carefully.

So what problems do we have, then, except that the Tesla lacks mirrors that can be adjusted from the inside, proper headlights and a speedometer that isn't hidden by the wheel? The sound! After years of complaints that traffic is too noisy, we finally have quiet asphalt compounds and wonderfully silent electric cars. And now, people get run over because they didn't hear the car coming!

When I drove home in the Tesla last night, a V8 with tuned exhaust passed me - Lord, what a lovely sound. Some gasoline power can't hurt from time to time for purely nostalgic reasons. But for the daily commute, this is the ultimate dream car. And, the only argument the road authorities have left to keep the speed down on the motorways is emissions. This car has zero emissions, so I like to think I get to drive a bit faster than everyone else...

10. eledille

#10 eledille, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    A few errors in the review

The Think City should absolutely not be lumped together with the G-Wiz. It is actually a proper car. It's much larger, drives and feels like a real car. It also does 110 km/h and accelerates quite well, certainly much quicker that what you're likely to be able to do in traffic (At least here in Norway, as the guy in front is trying to coordinate his hands and feet to perform a gear change).

16A three phase, 400V will fill the car up in less than 6 hours, not 15.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That was a pleasure. Thanks for translating!

12. eledille

Nice to hear, no problem :)

I think the best part is how, for the reviewer, the Roadster instantly relegates the internal combustion engine to the realm of nostalgia.

That is my experience too, even though I only own a Think City (so far - but just wait...). The smooth, effortless, controllable power delivery of the AC motor just has to be experienced.

Steam engines are also wonderful machines, but I wouldn't want to drive one to work :biggrin:

13. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Tack så mycket, också!

I'll have to listen to it a few more times, with your translation in hand. Maybe I can improve my vocabulary.

Jag pratar nu med barnen och hundar.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

4463131540_9233435bc8_b.jpg

Nice! Eldrift is apparently a Swedish word for "Electric Drive"!

(I will just think of it as the electric drift car!)

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator