Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vans are more expensive than smaller cars. Carrying one person in a huge van is cost-inefficient. Efficiency requires that the tool be right for the job.

Having a fleet of 100 cars costs more than having a fleet of 50 cars. If the peak demand for 100 cars only lasts for an hour a day and the rest of the time 50 cars is more than adequate, nobody will invest in a fleet of 100 cars. For an hour a day there will be long waits. Some people will accept that. Others will keep their private cars.

The supply:demand equation is similar for a fleet of robotaxis as it is for a fleet of taxis or ride-shares: There are times and places when the demand is so great that you cannot get a ride for love or money. Robotaxis will not change that because nobody is going to invest in a fleet of robotaxis large enough to meet peak demand. People can dream of a utopian future when there's always a car available when you need it, but that won't happen because the car costs money and somebody has to put up that investment and they won't invest without hope of profit, and if there are that many cars competing for riders none of them will make enough money to operate.

Some people use ride-shares now because for them the inconvenience is worth the savings. Other people have private cars because for them, the cost of a car is worth the convenience. This will not change with robotaxis. Yes, there will be customers. But a lot of people will keep their private cars.

As for robotaxis making the roads safer, autonomous cars will make the roads safer, whether they are robotaxis or private self-driving cars.
Congratulations on reaching 5,000 posts!

Reactions: daniel
It has been mentioned that robotaxis will be cheaper than human-driven taxis. But perhaps it should be mentioned that they will be a lot cheaper, (a) because no driver has to be paid, and (b) the car can be used around the clock.

Taxis can also be used around the clock, in shifts, but not all are used that way. Still the driver could be the biggest expenditure of a contemporary taxi.

Very cheap robotaxi services will change the whole economy of personal transportation.
Don’t most taxi drivers rent their taxis? If so, the driver isn’t a cost to the owner but the actual customer.

Only about 81% of the U.S. population are in urban areas. Only 71% are in urban areas with a population over 50,000 people.

So somewhere between 19% and 29% of the U.S. population are special, and have legitimate needs that can't plausibly be met with robotaxis, because they live in areas that aren't dense enough or populous enough to have taxi or ride share services, much less robotaxi services.

Remember that for every New York City, there are a hundred Bucksnort, TNs.

Also, you're ignoring commuters entirely. The longer the commute, the less likely it is that a robotaxi will be able to do something useful while waiting for you to return, and the more your trip will cost. In dense urban areas with people commuting single-digit miles, that probably isn't an issue, but even in semi-suburban areas like most of the Bay Area, it can be a problem.

If they have a car, why will they bother paying more money for the service that's less convenient than having their own car there? Just to not have to drive? I mean for some people, maybe, but I think a lot of people will say, "Yeah, or I could spend $45k on a Model 3 and have the best of both worlds."

If you can actually make it that cheap, it might be the majority of people who live in areas that can practically be served by such a service. That still leaves out almost a third of the country, though. :)
My whole point is that I'm not going to get rid of my existing car that works fine. But when it is time to replace it, and the service is available, if it's good enough, of course I would use it. 95% of people will be in the same boat.

People rent cars all the time and drop them off in a different city/state. There is no reason why someone couldn't get into a robotaxi commute 1 1/2 hours. Work, and then do the same commute on the way back home.

You could set your departure time, and it will be waiting for you in your driveway ready to go. If you pick up groceries, it will will wait for you, then take you to get your nails done, and wait for you there, then drive you home.

You cite statistics of how few people live in urban areas, but how about 53.6% of household incomes are less than 75k a year. The less you make, the more important saving the extra money would be over having a car that sits there 95% of the time unused.

Everyone that has a website could host it on a server in their house, but 99.9% of people don't do that because it's much more cost effective to share those resources.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
People rent cars all the time and drop them off in a different city/state. There is no reason why someone couldn't get into a robotaxi commute 1 1/2 hours. Work, and then do the same commute on the way back home.
Yeah, I've done it. The cost depends on whether they need more cars where you're going or fewer.

You cite statistics of how few people live in urban areas, but how about 53.6% of household incomes are less than 75k a year. The less you make, the more important saving the extra money would be over having a car that sits there 95% of the time unused.
On the flip side, people in urban areas tend to make more than people in rural areas, so the people who would benefit most from a cost perspective would be unable to benefit at all from a logistical perspective, because the lower the density, the more the autonomous vehicles will have to drive around sans-fare, and the more per fare-mile they will cost. At some point, it becomes cheaper to just own a car and leave it sitting around 95% of the time.

And in urban areas, public transportation is usually available, which will almost certainly be way cheaper than any robotaxi.

The only places where I would expect robotaxi service to be a huge benefit over owning a car for lower-income people are in suburbs, where public transit isn't practical and car ownership is expensive. That's maybe 10% of the population.

Everyone that has a website could host it on a server in their house, but 99.9% of people don't do that because it's much more cost effective to share those resources.

It actually isn't. A Mac Mini server, averaged over the expected life of the server (5 years), costs $11.65 per month, which is about the same cost as the cheapest usable hosting plans. And for that, you get hundreds of gigabytes of storage instead of hundreds of megabytes. Shared hosting is way more expensive than owning your own server.

99.9% of people don't run their own servers because so many ISPs have rules about hosting servers and because most people don't want to fool with administering a server. :)

Reactions: Microterf
You could set your departure time, and it will be waiting for you in your driveway ready to go. If you pick up groceries, it will will wait for you, then take you to get your nails done, and wait for you there, then drive you home.

In a utopian science-fiction world, maybe. In the real world it will be nothing like that at all. In a free-market economy you do not get utopian service at bargain-basement prices. If robotaxis are actually cheaper to operate than Uber, the difference will go into the pockets of the owners, not into lower fares for riders. And if they are more expensive to operate, they'll be an expensive option for people who can afford it. I'd pay quite a lot to ride in one once, for the experience. And if they turn out to be safer, as I expect they will be, I'd pay the premium on the occasions when, for some unusual reason, I needed a ride.

Reactions: Microterf
I like having my truck for when I need to use it as a truck. When I add the cost of a truck rental and fuel for the rental vehicle it would be over 500 a month Cheaper to own a truck for me. I'm going to assume people will weigh to cost and convenience of owning a car over calling for a robotaxi

I hate sped-up videos, but this one hour driverless Yandex trip in Ann Arbor (7:30 viewing time) shows pedestrians, cyclists, construction zones, etc. They did driverless demos in Las Vegas a couple years ago. Most of their testing is in Russia, including some without safety drivers. They claim 7 million kms, I assume mostly with safety drivers but don't really know.

I hate sped-up videos, but this one hour driverless Yandex trip in Ann Arbor (7:30 viewing time) shows pedestrians, cyclists, construction zones, etc. They did driverless demos in Las Vegas a couple years ago. Most of their testing is in Russia, including some without safety drivers. They claim 7 million kms, I assume mostly with safety drivers but don't really know.
Aside: remember if you can slow it down with the gear (settings) icon in YT.
zsm4NO2.jpg

Yeah, I've done it. The cost depends on whether they need more cars where you're going or fewer.

On the flip side, people in urban areas tend to make more than people in rural areas, so the people who would benefit most from a cost perspective would be unable to benefit at all from a logistical perspective, because the lower the density, the more the autonomous vehicles will have to drive around sans-fare, and the more per fare-mile they will cost. At some point, it becomes cheaper to just own a car and leave it sitting around 95% of the time.

And in urban areas, public transportation is usually available, which will almost certainly be way cheaper than any robotaxi.

The only places where I would expect robotaxi service to be a huge benefit over owning a car for lower-income people are in suburbs, where public transit isn't practical and car ownership is expensive. That's maybe 10% of the population.

It actually isn't. A Mac Mini server, averaged over the expected life of the server (5 years), costs $11.65 per month, which is about the same cost as the cheapest usable hosting plans. And for that, you get hundreds of gigabytes of storage instead of hundreds of megabytes. Shared hosting is way more expensive than owning your own server.

99.9% of people don't run their own servers because so many ISPs have rules about hosting servers and because most people don't want to fool with administering a server. :)
Going to skip the stats but there are many elderly in small and large towns that can no longer drive, many folks withs substance abuse, etc that can't just go to a dinner or to a friends house due to the difficulties. Even in urban areas if I have to walk 3 blocks to get a metro to go 20 mins, to get a bus to go 20 mins than I might just skip the trip. Public transport is great...but the lack of door to door service is a hinderance to wider use. Despite that, pre covid, many public systems were at capacity when they were really needed.

I would hope robotaxis fulfill a valuable niche in both rural and urban life making humanity more..humane. if a small town had just 2-3 robotaxis popping around to take some families to crackerbarrel or to the local diner or dinner or the kids house..it would be great.

Going to skip the stats but there are many elderly in small and large towns that can no longer drive, many folks withs substance abuse, etc that can't just go to a dinner or to a friends house due to the difficulties. Even in urban areas if I have to walk 3 blocks to get a metro to go 20 mins, to get a bus to go 20 mins than I might just skip the trip. Public transport is great...but the lack of door to door service is a hinderance to wider use. Despite that, pre covid, many public systems were at capacity when they were really needed.

I would hope robotaxis fulfill a valuable niche in both rural and urban life making humanity more..humane. if a small town had just 2-3 robotaxis popping around to take some families to crackerbarrel or to the local diner or dinner or the kids house..it would be great.

Even if robotaxis turn out to be cheaper to operate than Uber (which I very highly doubt) the basic economics don't change. Areas that have no taxis or Ubers today, will not suddenly get robotaxis. Yes, it would be great if they did, but the basic principles of economics are not going to suddenly turn upside down: A service doesn't exist if it cannot pay for itself. And all the arguments for robotaxis turn on the assertion, devoid of evidence, that they will magically be cheaper than Uber, which has zero up-front capital cost for cars because drivers supply their own car, insurance, and fuel.

Robotaxis will compete for riders in places that have taxis and Lyft and Uber. They will not enter the market in places where there is too little potential ridership to justify the up-front capital cost of the cars. And to the riders, robotaxis will not be significantly different than Lyft or Uber, to the extent that once people get used to them riders won't care which they get. Most people who use Uber will select the button that says "I don't care whether I get a human-driven car or a self-driving car."

So no backup drivers? When they deliver to multiple Homes how do they ensure that someone won't take goods meant for someone else?

I would imagine each vehicle will contain individual lockers for each stop, and only unlock the locker for that particular address.

I don't know how they plan on doing it, but there was a video from another outfit that was planning on doing robo-deliveries, and that's how they did it. Separate lockers. You got a code that would only open the one with your stuff.

Looks like the vehicles will be manned

Ford Motor and its autonomous driving affiliate, Argo AI, have teamed up with Walmart to begin testing the home delivery of groceries and other items by self-driving cars in three cities this year.
The service will start in Miami, Washington and Austin, Texas, and will be limited to specific areas but is intended to expand over time, Argo said in a statement on Wednesday. The service will start operating with a half dozen vehicles equipped with Argo’s technology, although two trained test drivers will be in the car for safety.
“Our focus on the testing and development of self-driving technology that operates in urban areas where customer demand is high really comes to life with this collaboration,” Argo’s founder and chief executive, Bryan Salesky, said. “Working together with Walmart and Ford across three markets, we’re showing the potential for autonomous vehicle delivery services at scale.”
Ford and Argo, which also counts Volkswagen as an investor and a partner, have also formed an alliance with Lyft to begin offering rides in self-driving cars. They aim to start the service in Miami this year and expand to Austin next year. Argo has been testing about 150 autonomous vehicles in six U.S. cities.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

Waymo, the autonomous-driving company owned by Google’s parent, Alphabet, has been testing a limited driverless ride-hailing service in Phoenix for several years.
Just a few years ago, automakers and technology companies expected self-driving cars to take off quickly, but found that developing the technology was more complex and difficult than they had thought.
In 2019, Elon Musk, the chief executive of Tesla, said his company would have one million self-driving taxis on the road by 2020. But it has yet to demonstrate vehicles that can pilot themselves without humans behind steering wheels.

Times.

8 years ago, Elon:
“We should be able to do 90 per cent of miles driven within three years,” he said. Mr Musk would not reveal further details of Tesla’s autonomy project, but said it was “internal development” rather than technology being supplied by another company. “It’s not speculation,” he said.

“My opinion is it’s a bridge too far to go to fully autonomous cars,” Mr Musk said in an interview with the Financial Times. “It’s incredibly hard to get the last few per cent.”

6 years ago, Elon:
Elon Musk, chief executive of Tesla Motors Inc. and Space Exploration Technologies Inc., says autonomous driving isn’t all that difficult to achieve.“ “I view it as a solved problem. We know exactly what to do and we will be there in a few years,” Mr. Musk said at the Nvidia Corp. graphical processor conference in San Jose, Calif., on Tuesday.

Hmmm, what happened in the span of 18 months when Elon went from "fully autonomous is a bridge too far" to "a solved problem" that "isn't all that difficult to achieve?"

Tesla's most recent stock sale added an estimated $738.3 million to the company coffers, Bloomberg reports. A grand total of 3.1 million shares were sold at a price of $242 a pop. Underwriters Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley bought up over two-thirds of the shares.