Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On this note, earlier tonight, I heard on Bloomberg channel on XM Sirius radio Emily Chang getting into a Cruise Automation Bolt in SF then talking to some GM exec for several minutes. Unfortunately, this was probably a simulcast of something on their TV channel and I wasn't at home to press record.

GM's Self-Driving Cars to Be Ready for Ride-Sharing in 2019 has a brief video but not showing really any detail, but it does sound like the first voiceover I heard. A Slow Ride in the First Self-Driving Chevy Bolt has some more details by a different rider but no visual aids.

I saw the headline for Taco truck halts GM autonomous car's cruise through city streets a few days ago. It seems like only the first 1:50 or so of the 11.5 minute video has anything to do w/Cruise Automation. The rest is other completely unrelated news.

My Herky-Jerky Ride in General Motors' Ultra-Cautious Self Driving Car was another report.

At least GM was confident enough to give reporters rides in these cars in a very challenging environment.

Last edited:
Nissan's self diving looks pretty good. Occasionally you have to take over, with plenty of warning, but only in situations like when it's behind a stopped bus and won't pull around by itself.

Note that they all use lidar.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I bought model x early this year and paid self-driving package in advance. At that time, the seller told me self driving function can be fully done maybe at the end of 2017, you may sleep in your car when travelling. I'm almost forget my car has the potential to drive itself. Anyone has any news about the throat hold of self-driving in city?

I bought model x early this year and paid self-driving package in advance. At that time, the seller told me self driving function can be fully done maybe at the end of 2017, you may sleep in your car when travelling. I'm almost forget my car has the potential to drive itself. Anyone has any news about the throat hold of self-driving in city?

Elon just said a week or so ago that he believes it will be another 2 years. Sorry for your lose buying FSD.

Ask for your money back

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Thanks, that's fascinating. I think I'd have been hit in a few of those situations, e.g. when slowing in anticipation of someone doing something stupid.

It is now 2018 so Tesla missed its Autonomous coast-to-coast drive for 2017 goal.

One year at a time: I guess I can now reset my expectation that it should happen before the end of 2018.

I imagine Tesla will equip snakebots at Superchargers before the trip.

tesla-snake-charger.jpg

If that is just too much science fiction, I guess they'll just have to do conventional Supercharger manual connection.

Reactions: cwerdna
It is now 2018 so Tesla missed its Autonomous coast-to-coast drive for 2017 goal.

One year at a time: I guess I can now reset my expectation that it should happen before the end of 2018.

I imagine Tesla will equip snakebots at Superchargers before the trip.

tesla-snake-charger.jpg

If that is just too much science fiction, I guess they'll just have to do conventional Supercharger manual connection.

Do those coast to coast expectations account for Elon’s 2020 reset for FSD?

A successful snake charger connection should trigger at least the option to hear Barry White in the car.

And Elon could call the optimized coast to coast snake charger-enabled route (once the Fort Stockton, TX SC is sited, permitted and built - hint hint) the “Barry White Supercharger Highway o’ Lovvvvvvve, Baby.”

Would only have to upgrade 30 or so SCs that way for that proof of concept run. Bonus!

Alright, fine. Back here in reality the SCs will probably stay as they are for the coast to coast run in deference to weasel words and phrases. Such as “We meant self-driving only on divided highways” or similar.

Otherwise, to truly have an end to end self driving demo, stop sign and traffic light reaction (as opposed to mere recognition (which we don’t have either as part of the IC display)) would need to exist and be reasonably functional.

Do those coast to coast expectations account for Elon’s 2020 reset for FSD?

A successful snake charger connection should trigger at least the option to hear Barry White in the car.

And Elon could call the optimized coast to coast snake charger-enabled route (once the Fort Stockton, TX SC is sited, permitted and built - hint hint) the “Barry White Supercharger Highway o’ Lovvvvvvve, Baby.”

Would only have to upgrade 30 or so SCs that way for that proof of concept run. Bonus!

Alright, fine. Back here in reality the SCs will probably stay as they are for the coast to coast run in deference to weasel words and phrases. Such as “We meant self-driving only on divided highways” or similar.

Otherwise, to truly have an end to end self driving demo, stop sign and traffic light reaction (as opposed to mere recognition (which we don’t have either as part of the IC display)) would need to exist and be reasonably functional.
I'm still going to put my guess out there that they may just have attendants at the stations to plug the car in if the time comes (the same ones they already have at some locations).

As related to the other poll thread, I think in the short term the stock market and most people are looking at the progress on the Model 3 way more than the FSD milestones. From the recent roadtrip review of one of the first customer Model 3s, the software is still a bit rough around the edges in general (although better than the employee-only time).