Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking that if Tesla can drive a car with an end to end NN then they can probably train a NN to do many of our jobs. We're going to need the revenue from our robotaxis to survive.
Haha. Baby steps. First it needs to reliably detect lanes (and not just perfectly painted lanes without any merges or splits). I’m not worried about the Tesla NN overlords. Yet.

Waymo cars driving in a sand storm:

It's a super short clip though so it is hard to tell the reliability over a long period of time. But it is still interesting. It would appear that Waymo cars, thanks to all their sensors, are still able to navigate in low visibility conditions.

It's a super short clip though so it is hard to tell the reliability over a long period of time. But it is still interesting. It would appear that Waymo cars, thanks to all their sensors, are still able to navigate in low visibility conditions.
Once they localize i.e. identify the cars current position within the HD map - they just use the map to drive. Of course avoiding obstacles.

Reactions: diplomat33

Look at those wonderful multiple independent systems that work in harmony to keep both the occupants of the vehicle and the other people on the road safe!

Here is another video released today of Waymo navigating in fog but it is also very short, only 12 seconds. Hmmm?!

They stopped the video just as it was showing keep clear. Did the car stop where the road sign said "keep clear" ;)

BTW, I've not had any problem with AP in rain/fog. Though someone was saying they have problem with AP in Houston rain - we don't get torrential rain here in the NW.

BTW, I've not had any problem with AP in rain/fog. Though someone was saying they have problem with AP in Houston rain - we don't get torrential rain here in the NW.

The only time I got a rain-related "Take over immediately" message was on CA-17. I was running along in the left lane next to the concrete divider, and the other side of the road was apparently flooded pretty badly. A large truck hit the flooded area and dumped O(5 gallons) of water very suddenly on my windshield, completely obliterating my vision for the better part of a second. Autopilot was only slightly more horrified than I was. :D

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
TheInformation has another article about WayMo. But its behind a paywall.

Here is the twitter thread ...

Amir Efrati on Twitter

In Silicon Valley, where Waymo's employees take rides as if they were customers, it's worse. Riders cited problems in ~half of rides, e.g. one said they wanted to "barf." One car recently got stuck in Waymo's HQ parking lot b/c it thought a

1f33f.png
was a
1f3c3-200d-2642-fe0f.png
.​