Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On which they spend $0 a year?

Weird take.

Not weird at all. Tesla spends $0 on traditional marketing but Tesla does marketing. Tesla uses their reputation and viral marketing to sell cars. Specifically, Tesla fans spread the word on Twitter and by word of mouth about how great Teslas are (they are the best EVs) and that is enough to sell cars. So Tesla does not need to spend any money on traditional ads. But that is still marketing and it is definitely one of Tesla's greatest strengths. I think @Doggydogworld is right about that.

Reactions: cwerdna
Not weird at all. Tesla spends $0 on traditional marketing but Tesla does marketing. Tesla uses their reputation and viral marketing to sell cars. Specifically, Tesla fans spread the word on Twitter and by word of mouth about how great Teslas are (they are the best EVs) and that is enough to sell cars. So Tesla does not need to spend any money on traditional ads. But that is still marketing and it is definitely one of Tesla's greatest strengths. I think @Doggydogworld is right about that.

I think the fact the customers are so incredibly happy with them, not the pre-sales marketing, is what that is.

Tesla consistently ranks #1 in owner satisfaction in both CR and JDP surveys year after year.

I think the fact the customers are so incredibly happy with them, not the pre-sales marketing, is what that is.

Tesla consistently ranks #1 in owner satisfaction in both CR and JDP surveys year after year.

But that is part of it. Tesla owners are so satisfied with their Teslas, that when it comes time to buy another car, they buy another Tesla. Also, they tell others who are considering a new car about how much they love their Tesla which often convinces the person to get a Tesla. I know when people ask me, I tell them my Model 3 is great. In fact, one of my very good friends will likely get a Tesla because he knows how much I love my Tesla Model 3. So customer satisfaction definitely helps with "marketing".

Reactions: Stan930
But that is part of it. Tesla owners are so satisfied with their Teslas, that when it comes time to buy another car, they buy another Tesla. Also, they tell others who are considering a new car about how much they love their Tesla which often convinces the person to get a Tesla. I know when people ask me, I tell them my Model 3 is great. In fact, one of my very good friends will likely get a Tesla because he knows how much I love my Tesla Model 3. So customer satisfaction definitely helps with "marketing".

But the key to that is the product is great

Tesla doesn't need to advertise to sell the product because the product sells itself.

So claiming "marketing" is the cause of the success has it bass ackwards. The product being great is what does that.

Reactions: replicant

As a result of a number of factors Tesla has such market domination now that the product doesn't even need to be great.

The product is not great. In fact I'd say the product is the worst I've experienced during my entire 7 years of Tesla ownership, but demand is higher than its ever been. A lot of the factors like the supply chain or the war couldn't have been predicted, but I think most of us were predicting the Model Y would sell really, really well due to the demand for ugly crossovers. The US just loves ugly pointless crossovers. :)

I had a friend buy a Model Y despite me telling him not to, and even he had misgivings about buying it. But, it was the best option available at the time. It was also a pretty risk free move as he placed the ordered before a couple significant price increases.

We joked about how I told him not to when he dealt with customer service not getting back to him, and the initial car they tried to get him to take delivery of was a complete mess quality wise. The door didn't even shut properly.

The second attempt went much better so he finally got to take delivery.

I'll ping him in a few months to see what his experiences are like. He's coming from ICE cars.

My experience is the other way around where I expect more because Tesla used to be better. Like the automatic lights used to come on when the wipers would go on in the rain. It didn't used to have all the bugs it currently has.

Tesla also isn't keeping up with other vehicles in terms of features like 360 degree downfacing cameras, rear-cross traffic alert, etc. They also don't have any vehicles currently being designed that I have any interest in or the wallet for.

I'm moving to Rivian whenever they ship me my reservation (probably late 2023), and whether I sell my Model 3 depends on how advanced FSD is at the time.

It's going to be awhile before we really see a competitive market. The legacy manufactures like VW have finally woken up to the fact that the battery supply is absolutely critical. That without it you have no EV offering. The supply chain situation will hopefully get resolved by 2023, and this will make it easier for people to shop for what they really want versus what they can get.

Long term I see the Chinese competitors as being the biggest competition Tesla will have. Even Chinese Tesla's seem to get new SW features before we get them. I think part of that is simply the result of a more competitive market there. The EU market is also more competitive due to a unified charging standard. In the US we have to keep reminding people that the Electrify America network exists.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
But the key to that is the product is great

Tesla doesn't need to advertise to sell the product because the product sells itself.

So claiming "marketing" is the cause of the success has it bass ackwards. The product being great is what does that.

Marketing definitely plays into it.

If you watched the Cyber Rodeo presentation you'll see the a bunch of women actually crying.

That's marketing. Its the way Elon presents the product, and his vision.

If you're already giving the CEO billions of dollars and the CEO acts as chief marketing officer than why would you advertise? An Elon tweet will generate countless news articles.

Tesla also uses the silly stuff like Fart Mode, Games, etc as marketing. It's a way of getting people to talk about their cars.

Owning a Tesla is exciting because of the promises made, but its also a bit of an abusive relationship.

Things like the safety score where people are told they would qualify for the FSD beta if they got a good score only to end up having to keep that safety score high waiting for the next wide release hoping they would get it.

There is a reason why people end up in an abusive relationships. It's because they like the thrill of it. The high of being able to try out something no one should be allowed to try out, and the low of realizing why no consumer should be allowed to get their hands on it.

Failing to recognize how great Tesla/Elon is at marketing would be as bad as failing to realize how their vertical integration has allowed them to produce product while other factories are at a standstill.

If you were to write a book on Tesla EV domination I would absolutely include at least a chapter or two on how they do marketing. It's a critical component to the entire Tesla ownership experience. A good book would feature both the good side of it (the robot that makes the robot sort of thing), and the bad side of it (the endless promises that have customers waiting forever).

Owning a Tesla is exciting because of the promises made, but its also a bit of an abusive relationship.

I've got the best car on the market for performance for the price, with the most advanced ADAS features available, that continues to save me $ on fueling it, has been dead reliable, and it keeps get new, free, features years after I bought it.

And has also depreciated slower than any car I've ever owned.

SUCH ABUSE :rolleyes:

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I doubt they spend $0 on marketing a year. Folks have already pointed out plenty of marketing that Tesla does, just not in the traditional sense (e.g. ads on TV, radio, print).

Just look at https://www.tesla.com/careers/search/job#/?keyword=marketing. I count at least 8 job openings for marketing there. They have to have a boss and be part of a larger marketing org, so those costs couldn't be $0.

Uh, those are all internships. In China. Mainly appears to be around free social media stuff like connecting with influencers.

They do also list some jobs for "remarketing"

Which is "dealing with used cars" not anything to do with actual marketing.

Uh, those are all internships. In China. Mainly appears to be around free social media stuff like connecting with influencers.

They do also list some jobs for "remarketing"

Which is "dealing with used cars" not anything to do with actual marketing.
I already excluded the remarketing jobs. Just because they're in China doesn't meant they're not paid job openings. You can run the Chinese text thru Google Translate to get the gist of what they're about.

Marketing Intern-Shenzhen | Tesla Careers has English text:
·Assist in the planning process for the China and regional events calendar, working across multiple teams to establish target destinations for test drive and lead generation events.
·Assist in project managing and staffing individual events, negotiating with venues, coordinating resources, multi-channel promotion where required and ensuring an exceptional delivery of all events.
·Assist in digital marketing campaigns, including producing web-pages, social media and e-shots. Previous experience would be beneficial however we provide training.
·Assist in the control and management of a team budget.
·Assist in the coordination of the China and regional marketing fleet and event resources.
·Assisting in any ad hoc marketing activities that will arise on a frequent basis.

I've worked as a paid intern for a large company several times. At the time, they hired about 500 interns each summer. The company was MUCH smaller back then than it is now.

i'm sorry, making a product that people like is in no way marketing lol, thats ridiculous. its equally ridiculous how all the waymo fanatics and tesla haters have to come up with conspiracy theories as to why tesla sucks. because there is no way tesla's are actually just really awesome cars right? haha, just laughable.... and if you think CEO's tweeting and putting on presentations is something unique to tesla.... i suggest you look at apple, they are always the first! with everything, even tho its 2 years late haha.

The referal program certainly had expenses and made early adopters push their cars. From that spawned a jungle of youtube channels dedicated to promoting Tesla and the stock and a lot of websites also. Twitter...

So yes, no marketing ads or commercials but a huge base of Tesla influencers. Do we know if Tesla doesn't pay them? Stock options maybe?

BTW Nio is trying to build a community of customers on their own.

• Disagree
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and EVNow
So yes, no marketing ads or commercials but a huge base of Tesla influencers. Do we know if Tesla doesn't pay them? Stock options maybe?
All companies cultivate influencers / press in various ways - but not payment in cash/options. That would cause a huge scandal that is not worth the rewards. For eg. Apple, Samsung, BMW, GM or Microsoft cultivate influencers / press by giving them free passes to their conferences, early access to their products - sometimes free samples, free merch, access to executives ....

You are new to marketing ?

I've got the best car on the market for performance for the price, with the most advanced ADAS features available, that continues to save me $ on fueling it, has been dead reliable, and it keeps get new, free, features years after I bought it.

And has also depreciated slower than any car I've ever owned.

SUCH ABUSE :rolleyes:

For me it's

I've got the best car on the market for performance for the price as purchased, with the most questionable ADAS features available, that continues to save me $ on fueling it, has been dead reliable (not counting SW stuff), and it keeps get new, free, bug riddled feature years after I bought it.

It's depreciated more than my 4x4 camper van, but likely slightly less than my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

The referal program certainly had expenses and made early adopters push their cars. From that spawned a jungle of youtube channels dedicated to promoting Tesla and the stock and a lot of websites also. Twitter...

BTW Nio is trying to build a community of customers on their own.

I haven't seen any evidence that they're being paid by Tesla

Some of them do peddle their own wares so they do get paid in a way, but not from Tesla.

But, yeah the referral program played a massive role in the generation of so many of the them. Now not all of them have stayed loyal to Tesla.

Should be interesting to see what NIO does as they are Chinese company, and the Chinese do a great job of influencer based marketing.

Reactions: daktari
i'm sorry, making a product that people like is in no way marketing lol, thats ridiculous. its equally ridiculous how all the waymo fanatics and tesla haters have to come up with conspiracy theories as to why tesla sucks. because there is no way tesla's are actually just really awesome cars right? haha, just laughable.... and if you think CEO's tweeting and putting on presentations is something unique to tesla.... i suggest you look at apple, they are always the first! with everything, even tho its 2 years late haha.

I fail to see why things have to be so binary?

Can't we simply accept that there are good elements of Tesla, and bad elements?

You brought up Apple, but discussions regarding Apple don't have the passion they used to under Jobs. Apple under Tim Cook simply doesn't inspire the love, and the hate like Jobs did.

Elon invokes a response from people whether its positive or negative. It's very rarely Meh which is what I think of Tim Cook.

Reactions: diplomat33