Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobileye had another presentation at CES. I watched the whole thing.

Highlights:
  • They are launching something they call L2+, which uses HD maps to better determine where the lanes are (around 30 minutes in).
  • They are only just starting to crowdsource HD maps using cars from 3 OEMs.
  • They plan to launch L4 around 2020 (but my guess is 2021 or later).
  • They proposed a mathematical model of evaluating the correctness of driver-less car algorithms.

Last edited:

Hmm ... I have a different definition of that. In the video the car yields to other traffic, for me to define the video as fake would need some sort of remote-control by a human.

The fact that it is a "test route", with whatever that entails - even if magnetic lines have been painted on the road - I think is still valid. You have to start somewhere and "Known route, avoiding hard to handle edge cases" is fine as a starting point. It seems obvious to me, from that video, that the car is not yet ready to drive unfamiliar routes, coast-to-coast , etc.(otherwise it would be doing that ...) so seems entirely valid as a proof of concept to me.

But unless someone can suggest to me otherwise, I think "fake" is not appropriate

Reactions: d21mike and NerdUno
so first google, and now gm.

a16e4a704b515c1b939c85fbd0f2f661.jpg

Mobileye had another presentation at CES. I watched the whole thing.
Highlights:
  • They are launching something they call L2+, which uses HD maps to better determine where the lanes are (around 30 minutes in).
  • They are only just starting to crowdsource HD maps using cars from 3 OEMs.
  • They plan to launch L4 around 2020 (but my guess is 2021 or later).
  • They proposed a mathematical model of evaluating the correctness of driver-less car algorithms.
Great job summarizing!
Nissan's self diving looks pretty good. Occasionally you have to take over, with plenty of warning, but only in situations like when it's behind a stopped bus and won't pull around by itself.
Note that they all use lidar.

That is not true according to Mobileye (intel) 2018 CES presentation on Nissan ProPilot use in the USA.

8FjHKwa.jpg