Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW uses it for their L2 system. Its called Extended Traffic Jam Assistant.
Upcoming cars that will use it for their L2 within/around a year from now are Lucid, Mercedes, Volvo, Ford's Mach-E.
You are right they did add a camera system in the end of last year, but it's optical cameras, not infrared.
BMW's Extended Traffic Jam Assistant System wants to stare into your eyes

I'm aware that there are a bunch of relatively expensive cars coming out that will have them, but that's still very far from saying "most modern cars" have it.

You are right they did add a camera system in the end of last year, but it's optical cameras, not infrared.
BMW's Extended Traffic Jam Assistant System wants to stare into your eyes

I'm aware that there are a bunch of relatively expensive cars coming out that will have them, but that's still very far from saying "most modern cars" have it.

Mach-E will use an IR camera. I don't consider that expensive compared to Tesla's models.
Also the mercedes (2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class) coming out this year will definitely have it.
Also Nissan propilot 2.0 on the skyline has an IR camera (so will the Nissan Ariya coming out this year)

Reactions: DanCar
Mach-E will use an IR camera. I don't consider that expensive compared to Tesla's models.
Also the mercedes (2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class) coming out this year will definitely have it.
Also Nissan propilot 2.0 on the skyline has an IR camera (so will the Nissan Ariya coming out this year)
Not saying against Tesla, saying against the whole market. For it to be true that "most modern cars" have it, it would need to be included in much cheaper cars like the Camry, Civic, etc. It's getting a bit off topic, but just wanted to point it out given I had a similar argument with someone in Jalopnik that seemed to be thinking everyone other than Tesla has a cabin camera system for L2, when that is far from the case (the reality is most cars still rely on the steering wheel).

Reactions: mikes_fsd
And FSD Beta videos don't have any bias or conflict of interest? Please! :rolleyes:

This is just a strawman. The lack of videos could simply be that the owners don't care about doing youtube videos. Frankly, I doubt Caddy, Mercedes or Nissan owners are in the demographic of people who do viral youtube videos to stress test their ADAS. Tesla owners like to promote Tesla and get clicks to get referrals so they do a ton of videos. But most car owners just use their cars for daily practical needs and don't feel the need to do videos every day. Just because owners don't do a ton of videos to show off their car's ADAS does not mean the ADAS is bad.
Nah, the type of users that enjoy new tech would be the type to YT it. I had adaptive speed control when it was brand new and it was all over YT. This is like showing a tv when there are already movies. Cool, but meh, ok. Wish they would use our eye cameras is all I got out of it.

Good read.

In short, the article explains that "hands-free" driver assist does not mean a higher SAE Level or self-driving. "Hands-free" systems like SuperCruise are still L2 driver assist, just like Tesla's Autopilot. They just have different ODD's and different driver monitoring systems. In the case of SuperCruise, the automaker chose a driver monitor system that does not require hands on the wheel and they restricted SuperCruise to a more limited and safer ODD, so they allow hands-free. Whereas Tesla chose a driver monitoring system that does require hands on the wheel and they allow AP to be used in a wider ODD and perhaps less than reliable conditions. So Tesla requires hands-on. In essence, both are L2, just different design choices for how to implement the L2.

Understanding “Hands-Free” Driver Assistance Systems

Good read.

In short, the article explains that "hands-free" driver assist does not mean a higher SAE Level or self-driving. "Hands-free" systems like SuperCruise are still L2 driver assist, just like Tesla's Autopilot. They just have different ODD's and different driver monitoring systems. In the case of SuperCruise, the automaker chose a driver monitor system that does not require hands on the wheel and they restricted SuperCruise to a more limited and safer ODD, so they allow hands-free. Whereas Tesla chose a driver monitoring system that does require hands on the wheel and they allow AP to be used in a wider ODD and perhaps less than reliable conditions. So Tesla requires hands-on. In essence, both are L2, just different design choices for how to implement the L2.

Understanding “Hands-Free” Driver Assistance Systems
Nice, true and concise, three of my favorite things. Well said brother.

Reactions: diplomat33
BMW uses it for their L2 system. Its called Extended Traffic Jam Assistant.
Upcoming cars that will use it for their L2 within/around a year from now are Lucid, Mercedes, Volvo, Ford's Mach-E.

Ford's Mach-E may have a eye tracking system in the car, but they aren't currently using it. They currently require that you apply torque to the steering wheel every ~15 seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
Ford's Mach-E may have a eye tracking system in the car, but they aren't currently using it. They currently require that you apply torque to the steering wheel every ~15 seconds.
A few of Bjørn Nyland's videos show these things. It slows down if you ignore it.
First graphic from a Bjørn video.
Second graphic below from Ford Mach-E will have hands-free driving, time to enable driver monitoring Elon - techAU

Gv7acG1.jpg

Hands-free.png

None of these IR cameras affect the active ADAS system yet though right?

I didn't know about ProPilot.... and no thermal on the Mach-E yet right? In a few more years it will, could be wrong though.

Update: ohhh was this was about DMS? my bad, I didn't have full context

camera nomenclature

visible - what our eyes can see
infrared - just beyond visible, what our eyes can't see
thermal - blackbody radiation

infrared does not equal thermal camera. infrared camera is cheap and doesn't disturb humans. thermal cameras are expensive.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Voyage which is developing robotaxis in Florida appears to be joining with Cruise. It looks like an example of consolidation with smaller companies joining the bigger companies that are ahead.

t1kDS4l.png

Some more details:

Cruise acquired Voyage. So it is more than a partnership. Cruise outright bought Voyage.

Oliver Cameron teases about a Cruise announcement with a pic of the Cruise robotaxi. I wonder if Cruise will be announcing a launch of their robotaxi ride-hailing service soon?

It looks like a bus. I think a bus is easier to achieve L4 than a ride-hailing service.

That's because a bus has predictable specific routes and specific stops.

Ride-hailing services have more unpredictable routes and stop until all in a geofenced area is learned. Thus, it takes more time.

Reactions: diplomat33