Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awhile ago I promised someone I'd take a trip to SF to try out Cruise when public rides became available.

They now have a signup sheet so I signed up despite not living in SF. I said I lived in Outer Sunset, but maybe I should have selected something else.

I don't know about your place, but Tesla works much better here than Cruise.

Uber/Lyft works better than either, not sure why I would want to replace 100s thousands of jobs with robots.

I stopped discussing AV progress because it's crystal clear to me Tesla is and will be ahead of everyone by a couple years. Previously, I wasn't sure, so I was trying to find blindspots in my judgment by debating with people here.

In that video you're responding to, it's not even the V11 interface, so who knows what version it is. These willfully/maliciously ignorant type people will always try to find the worst examples of fsd. By the time they post their videos, it's probably already outdated, as Tesla's pace is staggering. Even when fsd is human or better, they'll continue the same. Report to NHTSA!!!

I feel that we live in different reality.
Because you are comparing geohacked pilot programs with US-wide FSD Beta.

Let us see how well Cruise drives in my neighborhood. That would be the "reality" ...

ps : I think we should stop comparing commercial AVs with consumer AVs. Very different markets (obviously consumer AVs can get to commercial, not sure the other way). I've started a separate consumer AV progress thread which is the right place to discuss Tesla, Mobileye, GM etc.

Whatever happened to that public transport which asked Cruise not be granted approval ? I guess one of the reasons Cruise CEO was fired too ....

I don't have any new updates on that. I think they were upset with Cruise for illegally parking. Maybe Cruise has solved that issue? Or maybe the public transport has no authority over Cruise's testing since that is under the authority of the CA DMV which has granted Cruise permission to test driverless?

And I don't think we know why the Cruise CEO was fired. We can only speculate.

Autonomous Vehicle Industry Association tweeted a definition of driver assist and autonomous driving:

They need to add "reliably" to that first statement. You can have a door to door L2 system that meets that definition by performing "zero intervention" drives, but that doesn't mean it's an L4/L5 AV.

Neither the 2nd nor 3rd statements are differentiators. You can have an L2 system that reacts to emergency vehicles/personnel, and for the last part you can develop a L4/L5 system crowd sourcing it (and also develop a L2 system using trained drivers), it's not a definition of an AV, it's just procedures for particular jurisdictions (which not all states follow).

Not sure of they are really helping make things clearer or muddying the waters further vs just sticking with the SAE definitions.

Autonomous Vehicle Industry Association tweeted a definition of driver assist and autonomous driving:
LOL - not sure why you act as a front man for the lobby group. It will be much better when you can analyze these critically and be independent.

Obviously they want only simulations and test track testing. That is total BS. It needs to be tested in real-world conditions for millions of miles.

Do you at least spot obvious anti-Tesla parts in the tweet?

Oh boy, after following the investment thread on tmc for years and watching James Douma interviews for months, I was convinced tesla had the right approach for robotaxis.

After reading this thread the last hour I am concerned to say the least.

How come that James. Douma interviews are painting a total different picture than this thread ? Is James really not aware of the competition?

After reading this thread the last hour I am concerned to say the least.

How come that James. Douma interviews are painting a total different picture than this thread ? Is James really not aware of the competition?
Most people on this thread are anti-Tesla.

They think getting to L4 on a geogfecned area is the only way to achive robotaxi status. And it should always have at least 20 sensors and use HD maps etc etc. In other words, they are dogmatic like rest of the industry.

LOL - not sure why you act as a front man for the lobby group. It will be much better when you can analyze these critically and be independent.

LOL. I simply shared a tweet. I am not a front man for anyone. And, I am analyzing things critically and independently.

Obviously they want only simulations and test track testing. That is total BS. It needs to be tested in real-world conditions for millions of miles.

No, they don't only want simulations and test track testing. Read the tweet again. It says "prior to public road operation with a safety driver". They want real world testing, just after the simulation and test tracking.

Do you at least spot obvious anti-Tesla parts in the tweet?

There is no anti-Tesla parts in that tweet. It simply defines what autonomous driving is. Tesla fans are ridiculous. They see anti-Tesla bias everywhere, even in a simple statement of fact about autonomous driving.