Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is better than what humans can do. When you drive to an unknown area for the first time, you learn. Driving there 100th time, you have built a lot of confidence and drive better. What we are not able to do is to share those learnings (memories) with others in scale.
Isn't this what Mr Rand and Mr McNally did, starting way back in the 1800s...share map data at scale?

Tesla cars are L2. They are working on a robotaxi which may be L4 and L5, but we don't know when that's coming to market.
It came to market April 2020. "The fleet woke up with an OTA update, that's all it took". It was biggest increase in asset value in world history.

I wonder what new excuses Tesla fans will come up with when this goes live for everyone.
Why bother coming up with new ones when the old ones still work? Geofenced! Remote operators! Maps are brittle! Lidar is a crutch! You have to "solve vision" anyway. And FSD Beta 10.13 will fix the few remaining bugs and blow everyone's doors off!

Daylen Young works at Waymo so you know this clip was approved by PR. Trusted Testers still have safety drivers in SF and we have no timetable for public access and certainly not public driverless. And I gotta say those are some of the widest, flattest, sunniest streets I've ever seen in San Francisco. But every tiny step matters. Let's hope they can find a business model that works in SF and downtown Phoenix.

Reactions: drtimhill
Daylen Young works at Waymo so you know this clip was approved by PR. Trusted Testers still have safety drivers in SF and we have no timetable for public access and certainly not public driverless. And I gotta say those are some of the widest, flattest, sunniest streets I've ever seen in San Francisco. But every tiny step matters. Let's hope they can find a business model that works in SF and downtown Phoenix.
Someone on Reddit noticed that this clip is highly edited. 15 seconds in it says "Arrival in 9 minutes at 1:20 pm". Then it cuts to "7 minutes at 1:27 pm". Then it says "9 minutes at 1:30pm". At construction cones it says "1 minute at 1:33 pm". It's basically a well-edited commercial.

• Funny
Reactions: drtimhill and EVNow
Someone on Reddit noticed that this clip is highly edited. 15 seconds in it says "Arrival in 9 minutes at 1:20 pm". Then it cuts to "7 minutes at 1:27 pm". Then it says "9 minutes at 1:30pm". At construction cones it says "1 minute at 1:33 pm". It's basically a well-edited commercial.
Haters specialize in saying 1x raw videos by Omar is fake and well edited commercials by billion dollar companies are genuine proof of level 5.

Haters specialize in saying 1x raw videos by Omar is fake and well edited commercials by billion dollar companies are genuine proof of level 5.
1) Nobody says Omar's 1x raw videos are fake. The criticism is towards Omar's videos that are sped up. And they are not fake but they are slightly deceptive because when they are sped up, they hide FSD beta's imperfections, like phantom braking, driver tapping the pedal to go, hesitations or jerky steering wheel.

2) Nobody is claiming the little edited video by Yang is proof of L5. Neither Yang nor Waymo are claiming L5. Waymo says their tech is L4. And yes, Yang's video is heavily edited, PR "ad". That's why I did not share it.

3) Of course, PR ads don't prove L4. What is proof that Waymo has L4 is that they have removed the safety diver in both Phoenix and San Francisco and have done millions of miles of real autonomous driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, it is heavily edited. I thought that was obvious. It is intended to be a "clip show" of a ride.

2 strawman arguments in the same sentence! That must be a new record for you.
BS. As usual for you. Nothing new ;)

1) Nobody says Omar's 1x raw videos are fake.
Search, you will find.

2) Nobody is claiming the little edited video by Yang is proof of L5.
Are you calling the “senior software engineer” a nobody?

ps : Not sure why you replied. I don’t really include you among haters. I was referring to the person OP was replying. My preferred term is “trolls” - which is accurate but mods don’t like it.

Last edited:
Yes, it is heavily edited. I thought that was obvious. It is intended to be a "clip show" of a ride.
It's not even a single ride. 43 seconds in it shows "arriving in 9 minutes at 1:03pm". That's before the ride "started".

TBF, Omar is an insufferable shill.

No, of course not. But I don't think the senior software engineer (@Bladerskb ?) is claiming Waymo is L5.
Not directly - but posts a heavily edited commercial and asks "I wonder what new excuses Tesla fans will come up with when this goes live for everyone" - as if, if the commercial went "live" for everyone, it would be L5. Remember, this is the same "expert" who has posted umpteen times negatively about Tesla for putting out a clearly sped up edited video.

I'd trust Omar over the "senior software engineer", any day.