Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Driving Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I came up with the best ideal ever. I think most people will love this. This is simple and very easy to do. Let say you have an fully autonomous vehicle, All we need to do cut down on traffic and virtually eliminate car crashes is to make the left lane an autonomous lane and these vehicles can go as fast as 100 mph plus miles getting to your destination faster, saver and better. After which adding more lanes as more vehicles come online. The crazy thing about this idea is that to simplify things all we need to do is create a device in this lane which will allow the lane to monitor or communicate with each car making it even more saver in keeping distance and staying in lane or lanes. Just a food for thought. I see this happening in the future or am I just watching too many movies. LOL Any ways what is your thoughts? Elon might even have this Idea already in the plans hey...

So I came up with the best ideal ever. I think most people will love this. This is simple and very easy to do. Let say you have an fully autonomous vehicle, All we need to do cut down on traffic and virtually eliminate car crashes is to make the left lane an autonomous lane and these vehicles can go as fast as 100 mph plus miles getting to your destination faster, saver and better. After which adding more lanes as more vehicles come online. The crazy thing about this idea is that to simplify things all we need to do is create a device in this lane which will allow the lane to monitor or communicate with each car making it even more saver in keeping distance and staying in lane or lanes. Just a food for thought. I see this happening in the future or am I just watching too many movies. LOL Any ways what is your thoughts? Elon might even have this Idea already in the plans hey...

Vehicle to Vehicle and Vehicle to Infrastructure [V2I] (stop lights, signs, etc) are already ideas that have been in the works for years. Two problems with your idea: as other mentioned you can't keep the non-autonomous cars out of the lane and even if you did then you are simply increasing congestion on already congested motorways. Second, 100mph would be inefficient energy wise, might be better with such a low drag coefficient [Model 3] than other cars though.

Autonomous cars shouldn't need special lanes. If done properly they should be able to integrate anywhere and adapt to unseen conditions.

Just preventing crashes would be enough to alleviate some congestion at least in my city.. One accident can slow down thousands of drivers.

Would have to be like an HOV lane on divided highways only. Should not be any peds,bikers etc.......anyway
Still need a way to prevent non-autonomous vehicles from pulling into that lane to avoid the congestion in the other lanes, which already occurs today with non-qualifying vehicles using the HOV lane. In the case of the proposed autonomous lane, these cheating cars will also pose a safety risk in addition to just breaking the rules.

Geezus, we can't stop the crazies & self entitled that already cut double lines in/out of the HOV lanes whether they belong there or not. And then we've got the huge matter of lane splitting, which is quite legal.

I like the transformational ideas but in the near term, CA will be hard pressed to show support for any special interest, especially something that is fuel for the income inequality argument. We need an EV population far greater than the current 3-4% to have a voice/vote, despite having almost half of the EVs nationwide.

Geezus, we can't stop the crazies & self entitled that already cut double lines in/out of the HOV lanes whether they belong there or not. And then we've got the huge matter of lane splitting, which is quite legal.

I like the transformational ideas but in the near term, CA will be hard pressed to show support for any special interest, especially something that is fuel for the income inequality argument. We need an EV population far greater than the current 3-4% to have a voice/vote, despite having almost half of the EVs nationwide.

We are ready have the HOV lane so the transformation should be easy less costly plus believe me the HOV lane will eventually be eliminated any ways. This is just a new concept that will make life better. (Lets save Life's) this poster should read.

We are ready have the HOV lane so the transformation should be easy less costly plus believe me the HOV lane will eventually be eliminated any ways. This is just a new concept that will make life better. (Lets save Life's) this poster should read.

I agree it will but not until the EV constituency has a larger than 4% stake. So Cal refused to allow HOVs to be converted to toll roads citing that increased revenues did not offset the unfairness placed upon those unable to pay for access. No way will an HOV lane be pulled out of service for a bunch of Teslas and other qualifying EVs until there is greater parity......or a different political undercurrent.

Great idea but it won't be practical until there is a much greater percentage of autonomous vehicles on the road - you're most likely looking at 10 years or more in the future. At that point you might be able make all the lanes for autonomous vehicles and relegate the human driven ones to the single lane.

Your biggest problem is going to be, like others mentioned above, the non-autonomous vehicles jumping into that(those) lane(s). All it will take is one moron who does something wrong and they'll have the entire thing turned into a parking lot.

But an SUV with 7 people in it that drives poorly, drunk or like a jerk can be a safety hazard for thousands of drivers per day. The idea of autonomous driving removing safety risk for all is more attractive than energy efficiency on its own. IMO. Thus, we want it all! :D

Reactions: BluestarE3