Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous driving vs. Drone cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I'm relatively new to this topic. Much of the focus of FSD Tesla drivers revolves around autonomous driving where the driver/passenger plays an increasingly less important role in getting the vehicle from point A to point B. I wonder though, at the point we reach level 5 (fully autonomous), aren't the cars essentially drones? Do we even need a passenger if they cannot take control of the vehicle? I get the Robotaxi concept, but what if I'm homebound/disabled or just lazy - will I be able to send my Model 3 out to pick up my dry cleaning, a prescription and a pizza (assuming the vendors comply and put their stuff in my car)?

Maybe it's the next degree of "Summon" - more like "Direct".

Sorry, I'm relatively new to this topic. Much of the focus of FSD Tesla drivers revolves around autonomous driving where the driver/passenger plays an increasingly less important role in getting the vehicle from point A to point B. I wonder though, at the point we reach level 5 (fully autonomous), aren't the cars essentially drones? Do we even need a passenger if they cannot take control of the vehicle? I get the Robotaxi concept, but what if I'm homebound/disabled or just lazy - will I be able to send my Model 3 out to pick up my dry cleaning, a prescription and a pizza (assuming the vendors comply and put their stuff in my car)?

Maybe it's the next degree of "Summon" - more like "Direct".

Yes, if the autonomous driving is good enough to drive without any human intervention ever, then it becomes a true robotaxi. It can drive with no human in the car. So yes, you can send the car to pick up your kids from school or pick up groceries. That's why people are excited about autonomous driving. And you don't have to wait for L5. It can happen at L4 but only in a geofenced area.

Reactions: captanzuelo
Amazon drone delivery would work with smaller boxes where there there are compartments that you get a code and input the code to open the compartment. Don't think it would work for larger items that take up a large area inside the truck.. I don't see Amazon allowing you access to the inside of the truck to get your 60 inch tv or your tires that you ordered

Amazon drone delivery would work with smaller boxes where there there are compartments that you get a code and input the code to open the compartment. Don't think it would work for larger items that take up a large area inside the truck.. I don't see Amazon allowing you access to the inside of the truck to get your 60 inch tv or your tires that you ordered

True large items would likely require manual delivery. I am thinking this would only be for certain items and amazon would offer something like 2hr delivery but they could offer it 24hrs because no delivery driver.