Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cartrod

Dec 24, 2019
PA
Hi - I'm in the market for a used Model X (2016 or 2017). On the Tesla used inventory website, the following options are displayed: "Auto-pilot hardware", "Full self-driving (FSD"), "Autopilot with convenience features". Can anyone explain the difference between these 3 features?

Thank you

There are several generations of AutoPilot.

The first generation (AP1) used MobileEye technology, and has limited functionality in driver assist mode (primarily lane keeping).

The second generation (AP2, AP2.5, AP3) uses Tesla's technology with more sensors and (based on Tesla's claims) provides more driver assist features and is (theoretically) capable to achieve FSD in the future (after testing and regulatory approval).

AutoPilot (AP1) was an optional feature requiring activation either with the original purchase or after delivery.

Same was true for AP 2 (and later) - with Enhanced AutoPilot and FSD has configuration options or available for activation after delivery.

Tesla has now made AutoPilot (check the website to get the complete feature list) standard and still requires FSD to be purchased.

So there are multiple configurations of AP/FSD - and not all used vehicles will have these features activated - requiring more details to determine exactly what hardware is present in the vehicle - and what features have been purchased.

Hi - I'm in the market for a used Model X (2016 or 2017). On the Tesla used inventory website, the following options are displayed: "Auto-pilot hardware", "Full self-driving (FSD"), "Autopilot with convenience features". Can anyone explain the difference between these 3 features?

Thank you
I have a 2017X100d, and I've paid for FSD, but not sure it was the right choice. In checking into purchasing a new one, the standard equipment apparently includes something called autopilot, but still charges an extra $7k for FSD. In reading further, it seems that the standard equipment includes auto steer. Crikey--that's all I want from an auto-pilot copilot. If the FSD only gives you navigate on A
P, that's just not worth 7k. Is it?

I have a 2017X100d, and I've paid for FSD, but not sure it was the right choice. In checking into purchasing a new one, the standard equipment apparently includes something called autopilot, but still charges an extra $7k for FSD. In reading further, it seems that the standard equipment includes auto steer. Crikey--that's all I want from an auto-pilot copilot. If the FSD only gives you navigate on A
P, that's just not worth 7k. Is it?

You also get lane change with auto steer + navigate with autopilot. What I really think you’re buying is an alleged guarantee for upgrading as needed if/when FSD becomes reality. FWIW I kept my 7K, maybe I’ll buy 7K of Tesla stock ...