Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been using a version of Mobileye, integrated with their own solutions. For those interested in learning the basics, I found this video to be very informative on how it works.

Google a solution that is Lidar based. Elon specifically has stated that he believes it can be accomplished without Lidar. Here's their monthly reports: Monthly reports – Google Self-Driving Car Project and an informative video:

I'm very interested to hear how someone will be able to solve the billions of unexpected corner cases that come up with autonomous driving. I'm eager to see what the working autonomous driving sensor suite consists of. I think that in the end, some sort of predictive low level A.I. will need to make a decision-based judgement call, but what do I know. Look for the Model 3 to be equipped for self-driving, this is what I'm most excited about!

Question: Should there be a national standard for AD as a opposed to each state having their own law? and under that standard, should each manufacture have their own version of AD?

My two cent answer: I think that having a single national standard is wise and safe. Each manufacture can have their own vision of AD but it should fall inline with the stated national standard.

Short answer is that national standards usually just equate to the 'floor' of what a system should do, which I'd be in favor of. Some set of requirements that says autonomous cars should meet. Think of a test like the NHTSA crash testing suite as well as tests for active safety systems. Essentially, AD is an extension of the current drivers assistance tech.

I feel like there should be tests that systems have to pass in order to be road worthy.

and yet that is the standard for entry into the world of driving. entry level, not master, mature experienced and sober driver.
The claim that autopilot is a better driver than a human is not hard to accept when you put into the average the inept. My ego requires me to be better than a machine, but I drive when I'm tired or distracted. Only when I'm at my best can I claim to be more aware than AP.
now that's scary::

Reactions: mblakele
As a Model S owner I personally feel the system - with no government regulations involved - is already safer than the typical human driver - including myself. Statistically there may be corner cases it can't handle - but it also never stops paying attention, unlike human drivers. I use it at ALL times on the highway now - it has changed my habits completely. I no longer feel nearly as safe when I'm steering manually. I still pay attention - especially to what's happening far ahead - but autopilot is more attentive than I am to the nearby surroundings, and I suspect it's more attentive than any of you are either.

Also it is improving month by month, noticeably. Check my posts today on the Model S forum. In the last few days, since a new firmware update, I've noticed that it has improved its tracking in lanes driving intot eh sun with high glare. Also it now seems to slow down before certain curves - even before it can see them - drivers in two other cities have confirmed this in the thread as well - Tesla seems to have integrated GPS into at least some of its behavior.

And our dear ole government has been involved in - NONE of this.

To just make a blanket assumption that government regulation will somehow make your self driving car safer - with no data to back up your assertion - seems, premature perhaps.

I think you have to drive one of these things for a couple months to begin to swallow your ego and realize that the rudimentary systems we have right now (which will only get better) are superior in many ways to human beings.

Once you realize this your desire for government meddling may go away.

The Model III will surely have more advanced hardware than what the S has now - and it will have all the benefits of two years of fleet learning, right out of the gate.

Tell me again why we need the government involved?

Governments license drivers. Hopefully they'll do the same for autonomous cars, with some kind of verification testing. Or just make it clear that the car manufacturer is liable for accidents by their autonomous cars. I wouldn't want a one-off DIY car built and programmed by a school kid driving next to me without some kind of verification.

As I understand the AP system Tesla is developing, Mobileye eye-q is at the heart of the design. This advanced system is very appealing and I want it now. When I drive at night, having an assistant that can see better...when my neck is sore and I don't look over my shoulder as often as I should, an assistant would be nice.
So, between Blackvue and 360 and AP, the world should get safer.
Can I buy Mobileye and mount it on my Toyota now? Do I need Blackvue with Tesla advanced cams? I'm confused as where one system leaves off and the other starts.

NYT: Lessons From the Tesla Crash

The New York Times editorial board recommends regulation and testing of driver assistance features and improved communication among vehicles.
They focus on driver distraction (and worse, videos of Tesla drivers getting into the back seat) and the paradox of safety improvements being dangerous and needing refinement (a la airbags).
In all, they take a more balanced and informed position than has been reflected in the Times' reporting about EVs

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/o...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

As long as you steer with at least one hand what could possibly go wrong.

Roadside Cross already there.png