Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Park and Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not say "many years from now", I would say "a few years from now", as in two or three for Tesla vehicles and some other manufacturers. Keep in mind that right now Google's autonomous cars have been proven to be safer than human drivers based on their driving record. The Google cars are not yet a product that is on the market. Not yet...

Agreed but we're talking about all cars on the road being able to drive themselves -- not just Tesla's or Google's, etc. It's only at that point that human driving will be outlawed. It's kind of like when horses were banned from roads after the introduction of the automobile.

That's many years away and we may not be around to see it but our kids will. (I'm 50 so perhaps I'll see it.)

So does it only work pulling in vs backing in? What if you backed in then summon it out?

NVM found the answer. It goes both ways ;)
Got my update yesterday and was kind of bummed to find that it would not back into spaces (fully). It does drive backwards but it wont backup to the garage door and open it to get in. Also if you already backed into the garage, it wont open the garage door and drive out. It just moves forward till its near the door and parks...

It's new and beta still but i hope that's a short term fix.

Got my update yesterday and was kind of bummed to find that it would not back into spaces (fully). It does drive backwards but it wont backup to the garage door and open it to get in. Also if you already backed into the garage, it wont open the garage door and drive out. It just moves forward till its near the door and parks...

It's new and beta still but i hope that's a short term fix.

Make sure you have the correct settings on the homelink screen. They aren't that obvious, you have to press your GARAGE button (or whatever) then check the auto open/close.

Yup, those are all checked. It works just fine pulling straight in and leaving. Just not for backing in then exiting from the backed in position.

My car wouldn't open my door when exiting the garage when I had the distance set to 8 inches, when I changed to 12 inches it started working. Who knows?

As far as real-world functionality, my husband had reason to use summon yesterday. He parked in a somewhat remote space (curb/grass on one side, several empty spaces on the other) and ran in to grab take-out from a restaurant. A plumbing truck inexplicably chose to park right up against him and block his driver's door. When he got back he summoned the car out of the space, hopped in and drove off. He said that as he was driving away he looked in the rearview and and saw a restaurant employee gaping after him with an expression like, "What did I just see?"

This is one of those features that we may not use every day, but when we need it we're sure glad it's there!

This is you backing up to your garage from outside with the door closed and exiting the garage with the nose facing the garage?

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

A minor feature I discovered today when using summon to roll out of a space that was made tight by someone parking way too close to me: you can stop summon by pressing on the door handle.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I never back into a spot, always Pull in. If this feature allows for one to back into a slot I can see how this would be very useful at superchargers.

But has anyone tried? The standard feature description indicates there must be cars on either side of the spot for it to be recognized. Most superchargers that I use regularly are rarely that busy.

Elon did indicate early on (a year or so ago) that they planned to explicitly support superchargers. But there is no mention of it for 7.1.