TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autonomous Vehicles Legislation (U.S)

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Bebop, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Bebop

Bebop Member

• Like x 2
  2. zmarty

zmarty Member

I read some random comment online that said the language of the bill specifies the liability falls on the driver. Is that true?

Edit:

It was on Electrek:

Daniel Lorence2 hours ago

First glance over the document and this paragraph below stands out to me. It sounds like people are still help accountable for overviewing their car while it's self-driving. So basically you better get good at texting and supervising your car driving.

"e) COMMON LAW LIABILITY
    (1) IN GENERAL—Compliance with a motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter does not exempt a person from liability at common law."

3. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

• Funny x 3
  4. croman

croman Active Member

Yawn. Clearly liability is not going to shift when using a product. That's not how it works in the US. If my Rooma runs over a kid and injures them, I can't blame iRobot unless I can prove the product was defective. If I'm responsible, I pay. If they are, they pay. If we both are, we pay in proportion to our blame. Seems a lot fairer than some stupid arbitrary apportioning of liability. The European system creates a moral hazard where drivers can create situations of great risk and shirk their responsibility to be rational actors because they enjoy immunity simply because their cars are FSD. Its untenable.

That being said, this legislation does nothing except crush individual states' ability to regulate driving on their own terms. Its a non-story that is being hyped to the extreme.

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

This should help the economy.

More auto sales are on the way.

The work to get the software and hardware working right will employee countless individuals.

6. DrivingRockies

And software validation

7. Bebop

Bebop Member

Back then nothing was being done nor any serious legislation was being introduced regarding the subject matter. At least not that I'm aware of on a national level.

This is a good step in the right direction and thus one step closer to FSD. At least we are making some progress on what feels like nothing has been done.

8. croman

croman Active Member

And software.

• Like x 2