Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous vehicles will prevent only a third of car crashes, IIHS study says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Researchers doing the study reviewed the crash causes and decided which ones could be prevented, assuming that all vehicles on the road were autonomous. Even fewer crashes will be prevented while self-driving vehicles are mixed with human driven cars, she said.

Virginia-based IIHS is a nonprofit research and education organization that's funded by auto insurance companies.

Self-driving cars won't prevent most accidents, IIHS study says

...Researchers doing the study reviewed the crash causes and decided which ones could be prevented, assuming that all vehicles on the road were autonomous...

It's interesting but I am not sure if it's useful.

It's researching which accidents Autonomous Vehicles could prevent such as: driving under influence, while asleep, medical emergencies. It thinks that's 1/3 of crashes.

The rest of 2/3 of crashes that it predicts that won't be able to avoid are "prediction, judging, planning" scenarios that the automation cannot stop in time or steer away from just in time such as a cyclist or vehicle suddenly veers in front. I guess that includes deer accidents too.

Right now, it's very difficult for a human to prevent deer accidents but I would side with the machine that it will someday be able to do that very effectively with 365 degree infrared detection to predict living thing's paths of collisions and avoid them.

Researchers doing the study reviewed the crash causes and decided which ones could be prevented, assuming that all vehicles on the road were autonomous. Even fewer crashes will be prevented while self-driving vehicles are mixed with human driven cars, she said.

Virginia-based IIHS is a nonprofit research and education organization that's funded by auto insurance companies.

Self-driving cars won't prevent most accidents, IIHS study says
1.2 or more Million people per year DIE. Only saving ~400,000 ? world wide
US 38,800 deaths save about 12,000 - ONLY
4.4 million went to Hospital ONLY 1.5 million decreased visits
Think insurance might go down ??