Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the idea, described in that BBC article, about supplementing GPS systems with QR blocks at "landing strips". My car's GPS never knows where I am when I leave from my parking spot in the big garage by my office; if the car could "look" at a QR square at the front of the parking spot, it would know just where I am even though shielded from the GPS satellites.

Can't copy on the iPad for some reason, but the one comment re: "why would you even put money into it?" irks me. The same people that enjoy things brought about by technological innovations are the first ones shooting down something new. Do these h humans just lack imagination?

let's hope the truckdriver does not fall asleep

These 3 companys make autonomous public transit!
home | Ultra Global PRT and VECTUS Intelligent Transit are on a seperate from the street guideway! So no possible collision with cars or pedestrians!

http://www.2getthere.eu/ Does the same, but at streetlevel

There are more companys who are in developing-stage, but above 3 have functioning systems, or are building one!

Sites where you can find a lot more info are
Get On Board|PRT NewsCenter
Personal Rapid Transit News (PRT or Podcars)

Personal Rapid Transit Brokering, Political Outreach, Consulting Services

These scholars are over-thinking the problem, at least in the short run. Isn't the simple solution to require that a licensed driver be awake in the driver's seat at all times? This "designated driver" has responsibility for the safe operation of the car.

This situation is really no different than, say, auto-pilots on modern airplanes. These devices handle all operation of the airplane, and in principle both pilots could get up and chit-chat with customers, or take naps, or whatever. One, at least, doesn't, precisely because you never know what unusual situation could develop at a moment's notice.

Now, if we progress to a world where I put my kids into a self-driving car to take them to school, then we're off in a different paradigm.

Nice comprehensive article here:
Autonomous Cars Through the Ages | Autopia | Wired.com

Volkswagen-Junior-autonomous-Passat.jpg

Google's Self-Driving Car

Google's self-driving car video here.

"We announced our self-driving car project in 2010 to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and more efficient. Having safely completed over 200,000 miles of computer-led driving, we wanted to share one of our favorite moments. Here's Steve, who joined us for a special drive on a carefully programmed route to experience being behind the wheel in a whole new way. We organized this test as a technical experiment, but we think it's also a promising look at what autonomous technology may one day deliver if rigorous technology and safety standards can be met."

Now that's pretty cool -- I'd wondered why it chose that spot. As someone pointed out though, it didn't signal, and I'd like to know just how they programmed it to navigate not only the Taco Bell parking lot, but the drive through as well (including where to stop and for how long). I'm thinking there was some driver intervention at those points.