Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a day car maybe is perfect, but all the days you must recharge!
It would be better recharge once a week or even less, isn't true?
And what about electricity bill??? Recharge everyday, I guess you get a biiiiig account !!!

jomagi said:
And what about electricity bill??? Recharge everyday, I guess you get a biiiiig account !!!

Um....who cares if you recharge everynight. Just plug it in and your done. And btw the energy
costs are far below that of buying gas. Its about 1-2cents per miles especially low if you do it at
night time or low use times.

Jomagi. How many miles to you get on one tank of gas? if you own a normal car its probably near 250-350 miles per tank... same as the tesla. What id be more worried about is how long can you leave the car unplugged... what if you leave it at the airport for 2 wks? will the Li-ion batts hold their charge?

My mazda RX-7's get 200 miles at most between fill ups. Id be ecstatic if i was able to reach 250mi/tank.

feelthesweetbeat said:
Jomagi.  How many miles to you get on one tank of gas?  if you own a normal car its probably near 250-350 miles per tank... same as the tesla.  What id be more worried about is how long can you leave the car unplugged... what if you leave it at the airport for 2 wks?  will the Li-ion batts hold their charge?  My mazda RX-7's get 200 miles at most between fill ups.  Id be ecstatic if i was able to reach 250mi/tank.

I only get 145 miles on a full tank! 200 miles would be great. My primary vehicle, which I use for all my commuting, is a 883 cc XLH Sportster. It gets 45 mpg in city driving. Tank is full at 3.3 gallons.
Vern

GreenSpeed said:
jomagi said:
  For a day car maybe is perfect, but all the days you must recharge! It would be better recharge once a week or even less, isn't true? And what about electricity bill??? Recharge everyday, I guess you get a biiiiig account !!!
Um....who cares if you recharge everynight. Just plug it in and your done. And btw the energy costs are far below that of buying gas. Its about 1-2cents per miles especially low if you do it at night time or low use times.

My electric car won't even cost 1c a mile for fuel.  I have a 2.2 kW photovoltaic (solar panel) system on my roof.  It generates about 10 kWh a day.  I have not paid any money to the power company for 3 years.

I don't get a bill from SCE.  I get a statement.  Right now, they owe me money. 
Vern

Vern Padgett said:
GreenSpeed said:
jomagi said:

Um....who cares if you recharge everynight. Just plug it in and your done. And btw the energy
costs are far below that of buying gas. Its about 1-2cents per miles especially low if you do it at
night time or low use times.

My electric car won't even cost 1c a mile for fuel.  I have a 2.2 kW photovoltaic (solar panel) system on my roof.  It generates about 10 kWh a day.  I have not paid any money to the power company for 3 years.

I don't get a bill from SCE.  I get a statement.  Right now, they owe me money. 
Vern

Nice......r u getting a roadster?

Vern Padgett said:
GreenSpeed said:
jomagi said:
For a day car maybe is perfect, but all the days you must recharge! It would be better recharge once a week or even less, isn't true? And what about electricity bill??? Recharge everyday, I guess you get a biiiiig account !!!
Um....who cares if you recharge everynight. Just plug it in and your done. And btw the energy costs are far below that of buying gas. Its about 1-2cents per miles especially low if you do it at night time or low use times.

My electric car won't even cost 1c a mile for fuel. I have a 2.2 kW photovoltaic (solar panel) system on my roof. It generates about 10 kWh a day. I have not paid any money to the power company for 3 years.

I don't get a bill from SCE. I get a statement. Right now, they owe me money.
Vern

how much did that cost to install though. have you recouped the money. i hear those things are really expensive.

chucknorris said:
... i hear those things are really expensive.

They were really expensive and they are expensive. But the cost is going down. Steadily.
Have you seen www.nanosolar.com? A new company developing technology that could massivle lower the cost of solar panels. They are building a production plant with 400MW anual production. That is new middle sized powerplant each year. Solar energy will not be the only source of energy, but it will be an important one.

chucknorris said:
how much did that cost to install though.  have you recouped the money.  i hear those things are really expensive.

It cost me $10,300.  The system from Real Goods Solar, out of Venice, California, was $20,100.  They got an $8,000 payment from California and I got a $1,800 solar tax credit on my next California tax return. 

I recouped the money the minute I turned it on.  It increases the resale value of my home by 100% of the amount invested.  There is no home improvement that does that.  The closest is kitchen remodeling, which recoups only 85%.  (Swimming pools recoup zero-- invest $30,000 in a pool, and the resale value of your home stays the same.) 

When I look at the ridiculous crap my neighbors spend tens of thousands of dollars on (jet skis, multiple giant trucks, motor homes, new rooms on houses that only 2 people are living in, private schools for their kids when the local public school are better), I am proud that I spent ten grand on solar panels, and I don't really care about "recouping the money." 

Vern

vern i am not so sure about the pool not raising the resale value at least a little. i don't see why it wouldn't but i really don't know all that much so. but thats sweet that you recoupe all the cost of the panel. have you heard about solar panels being put on high rise buildings not only on the roof but on all the side panels.

chucknorris said:
vern i am not so sure about the pool not raising the resale value at least a little.  i don't see why it wouldn't but i really don't know all that much so.   but thats sweet that you recoupe all the cost of the panel.  have you heard about solar panels being put on high rise buildings not only on the roof but on all the side panels. 
I may be too harsh on pools. But they add little to a home's value in the way of raising resale price. Get solar panels! Did you know that the original financier of Tesla, Elon Musk, has his own solar panel company? It is SolarCity.

I'm not against increasing motor efficiency but it seems like a limited potential.

Tesla's hitting 90+% the difference between this and 100% can't be worth even a few pounds or a hit in longevity.