Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark failure & recent lack of key fob sensitivity to open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having taken delivery of my lovely new S85-D I'm delighted with the drive and the finish of the car, but I have a problem with the Autopark facility!:smile:

Each time I tried to park my 'Titanium Bronze' S85 it either cancels out halfway through the manoeuver, or it doesn't turn into selected space, but keeps on reversing in a straight line. I reported this last week, but no-one has rung me back from technical support! So I'm wondering if Autopark works correctly in your model? :confused:

Don't have enough information about the parking problem to help you yet, but the key fob sensitivity could be from interference.

Do you have another key fob for another type of car, or your cell phone nearby (maybe in the same pocket?)

I found that my BMW key and the Tesla key fob would not work or would be erratic when they were in the same pocket. When I moved the BMW key fob to the other pocket and left the Tesla alone it solved the problem. Also found the iPhone would do the same if in the same pocket or too close.

Also, make sure you have a fresh battery in the Tesla fob.

My wife and I just bought our ModelS 75D and we are/were diehard fans of Tesla. We used Autopark once and it seemed to work fine despite the car moving in and out of the spot multiple times to get it right (no assistance needed by the driver).

However, 3 weeks ago Autopark slammed the car into a concrete column in our parking garage. Absolutely no time to even react to stop it and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We (Tesla owners) know machines, programs don't have user comfort in mind when it comes to cars coming dangerously close to you while Autopilot is active or the car coming close to obstacles you 'think' are about to hit, but the readings show it won't and everything is fine- it's marvelous engineering and science work. I'm sure it has predicted accidents beforehand and helped prevent them as many videos show, but all it takes is ONE collision and who knows how much in repair costs for a driver to question, whether it's worth the risk.

Bye bye Autopark feature.

We contacted Tesla immediately. Took measurements, pictures, noted time of incident to the best of our knowledge. We don't have a dash cam, so all we had was the visible damage and the data collected by the car itself.

3 weeks later, Tesla gets back to us with 'Autopark worked as intended' and then pointed us to excerpts from their manual on how the driver has to always be ready to stop the car.

Here is their response:

"Reviewed the data from the time of incident, Autopark was working as expected. You may want to refer to the warnings listed in owner's manual: Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair Autopark's ability to park Model S. Keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autopark may not steer Model S appropriately. Pay attention when parking Model S and stay prepared to immediately take control. Warning: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.”"

Makes sense of course- until your car crashes into a column and all you can do is either suck it up and get it repaired and never use Autopark (a feature you pay for) until it's 100% functional or spend countless hours and money trying to find justice in other ways. We're afraid to find out repair costs. I guess since we can still drive it and charge it things aren't that bad right? Well do you want to drive around an $85k car with gash on the bumper and a busted tail light?

I am convinced that people are psycho about Tesla and will do everything they can to give them the benefit of the doubt and just plain assume that everything they do and make is sacred and flawless, while the driver is a complete idiot who basically didn't do it right.

I was a fanboy myself, but after this experience I'm more afraid of the Tesla Cult members than anything. It took a lot of courage to share this, but after the shoddy service and lame response I'm not sure about things with this car anymore and if people want to just blame me without knowing any facts then I'll know who to ignore.

Reactions: xborg
"Reviewed the data from the time of incident, Autopark was working as expected. You may want to refer to the warnings listed in owner's manual: Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair Autopark's ability to park Model S. Keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autopark may not steer Model S appropriately. Pay attention when parking Model S and stay prepared to immediately take control. Warning: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.”"

Makes sense of course- until your car crashes into a column and all you can do is either suck it up and get it repaired and never use Autopark (a feature you pay for) until it's 100% functional or spend countless hours and money trying to find justice in other ways. We're afraid to find out repair costs. I guess since we can still drive it and charge it things aren't that bad right? Well do you want to drive around an $85k car with gash on the bumper and a busted tail light?

I am convinced that people are psycho about Tesla and will do everything they can to give them the benefit of the doubt and just plain assume that everything they do and make is sacred and flawless, while the driver is a complete idiot who basically didn't do it right.

I was a fanboy myself, but after this experience I'm more afraid of the Tesla Cult members than anything. It took a lot of courage to share this, but after the shoddy service and lame response I'm not sure about things with this car anymore and if people want to just blame me without knowing any facts then I'll know who to ignore.

I see this over and over again how Tesla takes no responsibility for issues and always puts the blame back on the users. What are they going to do when FSD parks your car into a pole or a column. They are basically telling new users and I quote:

"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you."

I really cant see this functionality really becoming a reality.

"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you."

Uh yeah, maybe if you can get the car to PARK correctly I'll maybe consider it safe to maneuver around a city avoiding pedestrians.

I have never been in a car accident (I'm 40) UNTIL I used Autopark. Go figure.

Hi 'spectreS' - Sorry to hear of your calamity. Can I ask what the dimensions of the offending 'concrete column' were? Might be useful for the rest of us. I can't say I have used Autopark much - once only in fact - but then I don't use my S in town much. Just wondering if the column was a bit too narrow for the S to 'see' properly, maybe compounded by muddy U/sonic sensors or something? It'd be interesting to be able to download and see exactly what the car could see at the time - or even more so, what else it could see at the time, if it couldn't see the column - which we have to assume it couldn't. Doesn't help you though...

Sure. This is one of the pages in the report I sent them.

It's in feet and inches.

specterS_autopark_fail_measurements.jpg

Damage:

IMG_2565.JPG

Thanks - not exactly a slim example of a concrete column - and the opposite of what I imagined it was going to be. Fortunately a 'glancing blow' but very annoying none the less. A lesson for us all then - to thoroughly supervise any Autoparking manoeuvre. And another opportunity to reinforce Tesla's insistence to keep a hold of the steering wheel when using Autopilot, unlike the complete buffoon of a journalist who reviewed the S for the UK's Daily Telegraph yesterday (video of hands-free Autopilot driving on a busy public road aside)... 2017 Tesla Model S review: the future of driving Not a bad review but it came across a bit confused eg only '8/10 for Fun to Drive' ditto for 'Easy to Drive'. How many cars do you get the reaction at (... ah they have taken the video down!). And I can't think of a single car easier to drive than the S - a pedal-car, maybe?

@jeffro01 - I don't understand your input. I asked for the info and spectreS has given it...???!