Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark in your own garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Has anyone tried any tricks to allow Model S to autopark in your own garage like it does in parking lots?
What I'd like ideally, when I get back home, I want to press a button (even if I'm in a car), and the car "self parks".

In the meanwhile, I can collect my stuff.

Ideally the flow should be like this ...

1. Come home,
2. Garage opens
3. Press button on touch screen
4. Car autoparks
5. Closes garage door.

#1, #2 already work.
#5 is figureoutable outside of Tesla (although it'd be great if it was figureoutable within Tesla),

#4 and #3 .. seem like SO CLOSE within Tesla's capabilities (heck if they can summon the car inside safely without anyone inside ..) .. but yet it doesn't actually work!? .. I'd be happy if it autoparked within a straight line.

Reactions: Algbc
Has anyone tried any tricks to allow Model S to autopark in your own garage like it does in parking lots?
What I'd like ideally, when I get back home, I want to press a button (even if I'm in a car), and the car "self parks".

In the meanwhile, I can collect my stuff.

Ideally the flow should be like this ...

1. Come home,
2. Garage opens
3. Press button on touch screen
4. Car autoparks
5. Closes garage door.

#1, #2 already work.
#5 is figureoutable outside of Tesla (although it'd be great if it was figureoutable within Tesla),

#4 and #3 .. seem like SO CLOSE within Tesla's capabilities (heck if they can summon the car inside safely without anyone inside ..) .. but yet it doesn't actually work!? .. I'd be happy if it autoparked within a straight line.

If you put it in park, can't you summon it forward into the garage?

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn and Snerruc
I do this. I am on HW1 if that helps, but I come home, open the garage door (but it will open it for me) double tap park, press forward, get out, and watch the car park. I also set the car to raise up at home to help get over the garage floor height change. Then it closes the garage door. I do this on days that I do not charge, or if I am going back out.

Can HW2 cars not do this?

My hardwRe 1 car does exactly that already.

Garage automatically closes once the car parks itself in the garage.

WORD OF CAUTION... I had a screwy thing happen where my garage door only opened halfway (door issue not car), but above the rear sensors. Had I not been there to stop it I might have lost a window. Gotta keep an eye on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
@hmmm and @RichardID - I don't want to get out of the car outside the garage before it parks.
I want to remain in the car (so I can get out of the car in the warmth/shelter of the garage).
I want to use those extra 5-15 seconds to pick up my stuff as the car is parking, I can get ready to exit.

So - is it possible to summon without having to dish for my phone or keys in my pocket, and have it park itself?

@hmmm and @RichardID - I don't want to get out of the car outside the garage before it parks.
I want to remain in the car (so I can get out of the car in the warmth/shelter of the garage).
I want to use those extra 5-15 seconds to pick up my stuff as the car is parking, I can get ready to exit.

So - is it possible to summon without having to dish for my phone or keys in my pocket, and have it park itself?

I've never tried it, but you can summon with people in the other seats so maybe you can do it with someone in the driver seat? Have you tried? I can do everything you are asking with my car (and do it every day pretty much), but I get out of the car first. I use the time to walk to my HPWC and get the cord ready to plug into the car as soon as it finishes backing in.

Interesting idea. Although I must say if the idea is to save time, the speed at which auto-park / summon operates is glacial compared to the way I'd park my own car in my own garage. You're likely to come out far ahead if you park your own car and then "gather your things" once you're done vs. engaging auto park and waiting it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Soolim
When driving home, as I approach my driveway, the following occurs:

1) Suspension automatically raises
2) Garage door automatically opens

I pull into driveway and stop outside of garage.

3) I then proceed to... (*)
4) Car autoparks in a straight line. (**)
5) Garage door automatically closes.

(*) I can do one of three things here:
1. Double press [Park], press arrow on screen, remove seatbelt, open driver's door, close driver's door (while I remain in car).
3. Use keyfob to autopark, while I remain in car.
4. Use Tesla app on phone to autopark, while I remain in car.

(**) My experience to achieve a straight line autopark (note, I always back in):
1. If you have enough room for it to work, set your Edge Clearance to Standard. I originally didn't have enough room and had to set Edge Clearance to Tight. It auoparked straight, but once I made more room in the garage, it started parking crooked. I changed the setting back to Standard, and it started parking straight again. If you have a ton of room, it may still go crooked, seeking out the boundaries.
2. If you have a lip larger than maybe three eighth of an inch leading into your garage, have it blended (either asphalt filler, cement, pebbles, shaved wood, etc). My car would aggressively wiggle the front wheels trying to crawl over the lip and that would leave it crooked sometimes.
3. Obscure objects protruding towards the car on either side can cause it to try to correct for that object, depending on how close it originally started to that side. The system won't try to straighten back up unless it senses another obstacle on the other side.

• Informative
Reactions: Zluz and Swift
I've never tried it, but you can summon with people in the other seats so maybe you can do it with someone in the driver seat? Have you tried? I can do everything you are asking with my car (and do it every day pretty much), but I get out of the car first. I use the time to walk to my HPWC and get the cord ready to plug into the car as soon as it finishes backing in.

Well, the whole reason behind this question is "personal efficiency". If I have to dish out the keyfob or phone out of my pocket to summon (even if I am sitting in the seat), I might as well use the steering to reverse in manually.

I wonder if anyone has tried painting parking lines in their garage, and perhaps the car will recognize that as a parking spot, that "P" will appear and you can press a button and let the car park itself, in your own garage!? That would be ideal!

@cgiGuy - your solution seems to be the least "headache". Although having to open/close door .. okay less of a big deal than dishing out a keyfob, but not a huge big deal. I'll give it a try.

If it's going to operate like video above (except with the garage door opening automatically when you pull up and with you remaining in the car), I don't see how it would me more time efficient than you just pulling into the garage once the door is open.

@RAW84 .. exactly ..

What I want to achieve really is .. as I arrive home, there should be a "spaceship dock" option ..
Car goes into autopilot, opens door, parks itself, closes door.

I know that level of finesse has to come from Tesla, and given their technology currently I can't imagine it is undoable.
So I was hoping some clever hack/workaround gets us close.

If autopark works in public parking spaces (somewhat!), it would be great if it could also work in your own garage!