Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark Is laughable [auto park not used in this instance]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried autopark today for the first time. I'm bad at backing into parking spaces so I thought I'd let the car do it for me, I did the double tap on the park button, selected backup, got out of the car and looked on in horror as it parked the car at a 45 degree angle. Has anyone gotten it to work reliably? Picture below,
2021-06-17 13.48.44.jpg

The 'double tap park, select reverse, get out of car' option is a form of 'summon' and is not what many consider 'auto park'. I believe that just reverses straight and might do some slight adjustments to avoid hitting things, it doesn't actually know where the parking spot is.

What is consider 'autopark' is the 'P' icon that shows up when you pull up next to an empty spot (90deg or parallel park) and you shift into reverse and tap 'start'. Getting the car to even recognise a spot to show the 'P' icon is the real challenge =P. The car will only recognise a spot if there are very obvious objects on either side of the spot.

"Autopark" requires being between two vehicles. There is no version of autopark where you get out of the vehicle. Thats summon, which is basically in a straight line avoiding obstacles in the way if possible.

Page 104 on this tesla manual covers autopark, its a page and half of instructions:

===================

To Use Autopark When driving, follow these steps to allow Autopark to maneuver Model 3 into a parking space:

1. When driving slowly on a public road, monitor the touchscreen to determine when Autopark has detected a parking space. When Autopark detects a potential parking space, the touchscreen displays a parking icon. Autopark detects parallel parking locations when driving below 15 mph (24 km/h) and perpendicular parking locations when driving below 10 mph (16 km/h).

NOTE: The parking icon appears only if the vehicle's position and/or the circumstances of the surrounding area are such that Autopark can determine an appropriate driving path. If Autopark cannot determine an appropriate path (for example, when driving on a narrow street where moving into the parking space causes the front of the vehicle to extend into the adjacent lane), you can either reposition the vehicle, find a different parking space, or park manually.

2. Check to determine if the detected parking space is appropriate and safe. If so, pull forward and stop approximately a car length ahead of the parking space (as you normally would when parallel parking or when backing into a perpendicular parking space).

3. Release the steering wheel, shift Model 3 into Reverse, then touch Start Autopark on the touchscreen.

4. When parking is complete, Autopark displays the "Complete" message. In situations where Autopark cannot operate due to inadequate sensor data, the touchscreen displays a message indicating that you must manually park Model 3.

NOTE: If you press the brake when Autopark is actively parking Model 3, the parking process pauses until you touch Resume on the touchscreen. NOTE: Autopark detects potential perpendicular parking spaces that are at least 9.5 feet (2.9 meters) wide with a vehicle parked on each side. Autopark detects parallel parking spaces that are at least 20 feet (6 meters), but less than 30 feet (9 meters) long.

Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces. WARNING: Never depend on Autopark to find a parking space that is legal, suitable, and safe. Autopark may not always detect objects in the parking space. Always perform visual checks to confirm that a parking space is appropriate and safe. WARNING: When Autopark is actively steering Model 3, the steering wheel moves in accordance with Autopark's adjustments.

Do not interfere with the movement of the steering wheel. Doing so cancels Autopark.

WARNING: During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects.

WARNING: When Autopark is active, monitor the touchscreen to ensure that you are aware of the instructions that Autopark is providing. To Pause Parking To pause Autopark, press the brake pedal once. Model 3 stops and remains stopped until you touch Resume on the touchscreen. To Cancel Parking Autopark cancels the parking sequence when you manually move the steering wheel, change gears, or touch Cancel on the touchscreen.

Autopark also cancels parking when:
• The parking sequence exceeds seven moves. Autopark 102 MODEL 3 OWNER'S MANUAL
• Model 3 detects that the driver is exiting the vehicle.
• A door is opened.
• You press the accelerator pedal.
• You press the brake pedal while Autopark is paused.
• An Automatic Emergency Braking event occurs (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 113).

Limitations Autopark is particularly unlikely to operate as intended in these situations: • The road is sloped. Autopark is designed to operate on flat roads only. • Visibility is poor (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.). • The curb is constructed of material other than stone, or the curb cannot be detected. • The target parking space is directly adjacent to a wall or pillar (for example, the last parking space of a row in an underground parking structure). • One or more of the ultrasonic sensors is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (such as by mud, ice, or snow). • Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog, or extremely hot or cold temperatures) are interfering with sensor operation. • The sensors are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.

It only works with parallel parking or 2 parking spots that are NOT "slanted".

For parallel parking, it must be between two cars. For regular parking spaces (again, not the ones that are slanted), There must be vehicles on both sides.

For parallel parking, you have to drive a little closer to the vehicles than you would think, and you have to pass the space as it will back in. For regular parking spaces, you must drive a little closer to the parked cars than you would think, and you must pass the space as it will back in, in a 3 point parking manner (it will back in toward one car, stop, pull forward, and straighten, then back in.

Reactions: sduck
It sounds like a PEBKAC error

(Or is it PEBCAK? I never know which is correct.)

Its PEBKAC ( (P)roblem (E)xists (B)etween (K)eyboard (A)nd (C)hair. ), but... no keyboard in this case, so.....

One thing I am not a fan of, though, is sensationalism, especially when its not warranted. Saying "autopilot is laughable" is a pretty aggressive statement, especially when the poster is not correct about even using autopilot in the first place.

Saying "autopilot is laughable" is a pretty aggressive statement, especially when the poster is not correct about even using autopilot in the first place.
Respectfully disagree because I did in fact laugh.

In all seriousness and to be fair, you can't blame OP (or any other Joe Blow) for calling it Autopark because that's exactly what it's named on the display.

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.19.21 AM.png

When reporting an issue with this feature to service, I'd have to assume most people would report an issue with Autopark. Tesla can't expect folks to know the difference - it's all just Autopark to most people, albeit Summons Autopark.

Since the more formal Autopark only allows for perpendicular engagement when between vehicles, it'll never engage in this situation. That said, only one version of Autopark (Summons Autopark) can be reported in this situation after seeing the image, which is in fact laughable.

Respectfully disagree because I did in fact laugh.

In all seriousness and to be fair, you can't blame OP (or any other Joe Blow) for calling it Autopark because that's exactly what it's named on the display.

View attachment 674854

When reporting an issue with this feature to service, I'd have to assume most people would report an issue with Autopark. Tesla can't expect folks to know the difference - it's all just Autopark to most people, albeit Summons Autopark.

Since the more formal Autopark only allows for perpendicular engagement when between vehicles, it'll never engage in this situation. That said, only one version of Autopark (Summons Autopark) can be reported in this situation after seeing the image, which is in fact laughable.

I will disagree with the statement "Tesla cant expect people to know the difference", because they (tesla) spent 1.5 pages on it in the official manual. If someone didnt read that (which is common) that isnt Teslas fault. They provided information the feature, and it would be reasonable to expect people to have looked in the manual (more reasonable than expecting people to read forums to get the information, anyway).

There is PLENTY that tesla doesnt explain very well, but this isnt one of those things, at least in my opinion.

On the "laughable" comment, I guess that depends on who is laughing, and for / at what.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I will disagree with the statement "Tesla cant expect people to know the difference", because they (tesla) spent 1.5 pages on it in the official manual. If someone didnt read that (which is common) that isnt Teslas fault. They provided information the feature, and it would be reasonable to expect people to have looked in the manual (more reasonable than expecting people to read forums to get the information, anyway).

There is PLENTY that tesla doesnt explain very well, but this isnt one of those things, at least in my opinion.

On the "laughable" comment, I guess that depends on who is laughing, and for / at what.
I 1 million percent know where you're coming from. But the screen itself says AUTOPARK.

Reactions: jjrandorin
It sounds like a PEBKAC error

(Or is it PEBCAK? I never know which is correct.)

Its PEBKAC ( (P)roblem (E)xists (B)etween (K)eyboard (A)nd (C)hair. ), but... no keyboard in this case, so.....
Perhaps then, we should repurpose a little-used mnemonic. How about PEBTAC? Problem Exists Between Touchscreen And Chair?

Useful for any situation that replaces a physical keyboard with a touchscreen (smartphone, Tesla display, restaurant ordering kiosk, etc.).

I 1 million percent know where you're coming from. But the screen itself says AUTOPARK.
Yeah, that's a pretty dumb naming mistake in the UI. Should have renamed it something related to Summons because that's exactly what it is. No doubt it would result in a lot of confusion for troubleshooting or for expectations (as it did for OP).

When I had the FSD trial, I read the manual before trying to use it (I know many people don't, but I'm an engineering type, so I read manuals), and the official "Autopark" feature is completely different (as mentioned, it displays the actual space it wants to attempt to park in and there is a "P" there). I haven't tried using it in 90 degree parking, but have demoed it extensively for parallel parking. You have to get fairly close and slow to the cars and you have to go past the spot into the position you would be if you were parallel parking it yourself for it to detect the spot. Doesn't always successfully detect the spot though.

Here's how the parallel parking UI looks like:
Here's how the 90 degree parking looks like:

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've used it many times for parallel parking, and have yet to see it fail. I've only had a couple of chances to try it with perpendicular parking at a mall and both times it worked as expected.

One place where I would expect the "P" symbol to show up is at perpendicular spots for superchargers. I have yet to see it pop up for a supercharger spot. Has anyone had success with that?

So, yeah, thats a fair point of a failing from Tesla on this. I have FSD, but have never tried the "get out of the car, double click the stalk" thing, because I dont trust it enough for that... which means I have not seen that screen pointed out.

Given that, after thinking about it a bit more, its completely understandable why someone would think "that IS autopark". If its called that on the screen, thats what people would call it, read manual or no.

So, I retract my disagreement. Not that me disagreeing or not means more than a hill of beans, but I believe in civil conversation and discussion, and that requires people to not only express their opinions respectfully, but also acknowledge their own changes in opinion if such happens.

You thought for $10k it was going to do more? As you probably figured out by now and all the threads, what Elon says a car can do, and what the manual and specific instances it can actually do something, are night/day from typical human expectations.