Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark is laughable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried autopark today for the first time. I'm bad at backing into parking spaces so I thought I'd let the car do it for me, I did the double tap on the park button, selected backup, got out of the car and looked on in horror as it parked the car at a 45 degree angle. Has anyone gotten it to work reliably? Picture below,

2021-06-17 13.48.44.jpg

Mmm, No.
Autopark is brilliant.

Autopark is an integral part of FSD.
And it is most definitely being refined, every day.

By the way you didn't use Autopark, you used Summon.
Summon can used while inside or outside of the car (using the app or key FOB).

Not that you did, but everyone please do not attempt to get out of, or into, any moving car, while its doing anything automatically (like Tesla Autopark or Summon).

You do not initiate Autopark on your own.
Autopark only works when you are inside the vehicle.
If the car sees a suitable space (which will only be between two parked cars), you will see a large "P", "Autopark Ready", and "Start" on the screen.

Please RTM.

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-S-Autopark-Ready-Indicator.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-Autopark-Ready-Indicator.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Tesla-Model-3-Autopark-Ready-Indicator.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-Autopark-Ready-Indicator.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
It might be helpful to read the manual on the requirements necessary for it to display the parking P. I find you need to drive fairly slowly and be closer than you normally would to the ends of the cars.
I don't use perpendicular parking very often, but it has worked fine the few times I've tried it. I use parallel auto parking all the time. It's way better at it than I am. Haven't had any problems with either yet.

Reactions: Spuzzz and joelliot
I have only used autopark once or twice, but as mentioned above, it is looking to two cars with just a single space between them. When I tried it (a couple of weeks ago), the P would not show up at all unless it detected that situation. Also, it is very quick now and quite usable from my limited experience.

It might be helpful to read the manual on the requirements necessary for it to display the parking P. I find you need to drive fairly slowly and be closer than you normally would to the ends of the cars.
I don't use perpendicular parking very often, but it has worked fine the few times I've tried it. I use parallel auto parking all the time. It's way better at it than I am. Haven't had any problems with either yet.
I get the "P", ... the car rolls back and forth, makes about 5 tries then gives up. Tesla support says that's "within spec". Everytime this happens i am always able to easily park the car myself. I've still got an MCU 1 with the 8gig eMMC so maybe that's part of the problem since there are a lot of things the car won't do anymore that it did when it was new. Tesla seems to have stopped updating it too( or is that everyone?)

I think the latest software has a regression in Autopark though.
The last two times I tried it (parallel parking though) it jerked the wheel pretty violently and also abruptly braked.
On one of the attempts I just took over because I looked like a moron / seemed unsafe to the world around me.

Autopark is laughably bad but not for the reason outlined. Summon that you used here is also very bad. The comments above about it "being improved" are incorrect, since all of the FSD work being worked on right now is for city streets autopilot and doesn't change any other component of the existing features.

Be warned that if you can make the autopark button appear, the car is known to hit curbs and parking barriers causing wheel and fender damage.

The last two times I tried it (parallel parking though) it jerked the wheel pretty violently and also abruptly braked.
I tried few time in my parking garage but I always interrupted it in middle of it as I was surprised to see the car suddenly spinning the steering wheel and moving backward.

I wish there was a way to set a 'learning' mode were the car would move slowly, the way I would proceed to check if there was not risk to touch any surrounding walls or cars.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I also have used autopark in Model S and X for past 3+ years and was very good.
Just picked up a 2021 Refresh model S and I cannot figure out how to use it at all?

Is autopark not active yet in the new user interface? I do not see a (P) symbol in the dash even with an appropriate spot (Tested with my Wife's model X from 2020 and it works fine in that spot though in my S, it doesn't give any indication. THis is both for parallel and perpendicular spots, and following all the same instructions (i.e. speed <15 mph, appropriate sized spot and curb is present).

Does anyone else have the same issue with the new model S 2021 refresh, or has gotten autopark to work?

Thanks!
Regards,
Peter

Reactions: chjch
Just picked up a 2021 Refresh model S and I cannot figure out how to use it at all?

Is autopark not active yet in the new user interface? I do not see a (P) symbol in the dash even with an appropriate spot (Tested with my Wife's model X from 2020 and it works fine in that spot though in my S, it doesn't give any indication. THis is both for parallel and perpendicular spots, and following all the same instructions (i.e. speed <15 mph, appropriate sized spot and curb is present).

Does anyone else have the same issue with the new model S 2021 refresh, or has gotten autopark to work?

Thanks!
Regards,
Peter
I have autopark with EAP. If I want it on new cars I have to purchase FSD. Maybe that's why? You could be right that it's a vision only hurdle. You have me curious.

Summon requires you to get out of the car, it doesn't start until you've gotten out.
Actually no it doesn't require you to get out of the car. I used summon a couple of times in the past to test and see if it was going to do the right thing in the area I was testing. I wanted to be in the car to take over in case I didn't like what it was about to do. I think I know what your next comment is going to be... :)

Last edited:

Thanks!
Regards,
Peter

I only get the P to appear about one time in 100, so you're probably not doing anything wrong. This is just another feature that Tesla forgot about.

I came to this forum to try to figure out the latest thinking on using Autopark... I picked up my M3 a few weeks ago and have seen autopark offered in a few situations perpendicular parking. I have used it, and enjoyed watching it do its thing in relatively quiet lots. Today at lunch I was in a fairly busy lot and found a spot to back into... watching it do its thing painfully slowly while a couple of drivers were waiting to drive down the lane was excruciating. After a bit, I had to cancel it and park it myself. I think I might still enjoy using it in quiet spaces, and in tight parallel parking spots (haven't yet tried the parallel version) but in busy parking lots, I guess I'll just do it the way I've been doing it in 35+ years of driving...

Beyond just being physically painfully slow, be aware that there are quite a few cases of these cars hitting obstacles, curbs, walls, etc. So be VERY wary of where you ask it to park itself, where you summon it to or from, and IMO don't even bother using smart summon.

Reactions: plumazul