Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark - Is Tesla working on improving it or do they feel it is good enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if they are even trying to make any improvements to Autopark. I feel like I can drive around for hours looking for a P to show up.
Has anyone had any good experience with it?
This technology has been around for so many years that this feature should be flawless. I feel like it should be able to pickup any spot with lines.

You would think they could perfect this small annoyance ahead of making FSD even slightly usable. After all it is a feature that we paid for if you have the FSD package.
To be fair, I haven't tried it in the latest 10.69.2 FSD Beta release but I have ZERO confidence in it.

I hope Tesla improves AutoPark. It could use some attention. Right now, it does not always detect a spot. When it does, it is very slow. It usually takes several back and forth movements before it actually completes the parking sequence. It is much slower than a human driver.

I hope Tesla improves AutoPark. It could use some attention. Right now, it does not always detect a spot. When it does, it is very slow. It usually takes several back and forth movements before it actually completes the parking sequence. It is much slower than a human driver.
I find waiting for the “P” usually results in the worst auto park (at least for perpendicular parking). Instead I locate my spot on my own, angle away from it as I normally would to back in, and put the car in reverse. At that point the option to park almost always shows up. From there I let it finish the job which it typically does in one pass and fairly quickly. (Of course I’m sure it only does it so well in this case because I have already positioned the car for a good parking job.)

Does anyone know if they are even trying to make any improvements to Autopark. I feel like I can drive around for hours looking for a P to show up.
This technology has been around for so many years that this feature should be flawless. I feel like it should be able to pickup any spot with lines.

You would think they could perfect this small annoyance ahead of making FSD even slightly usable. After all it is a feature that we paid for if you have the FSD package.
To be fair, I haven't tried it in the latest 10.69.2 FSD Beta release but I have ZERO confidence in it.
It has no choice but to perfect the art of auto park to get ready for Self-Driving. The latest deadline is 2024 when cars without steering wheel will be massed produced by Tesla.

Auto park was an after thought, to use the AutoPilot cameras and sensors to allow parallel parking. End result is that it kinda works, but not all that great. As most things Tesla, they come out with a proof of concept (like launching missiles into Outer Space.) At first they give it a try, see what goes wrong, then it gets better. See the same thing with auto headlight dimming, turn signal cancellation and windshield wiper automation. They seem to eventually get it right, and often the best in the industry, but along the way it takes time and effort to get it right.

Reactions: IronCoffee_Max
This looks l

This looks like a pretty specific response to your question.

1663655328455.png

This looks l

This looks like a pretty specific response to your question.

View attachment 854583

End of month deadlines? He doesn’t say which month…so keep waiting! Also funny that he says actually smart summon. I wonder what that makes “smart summon”?

Maybe the next paid upgrade to FSD will be “Actually FSD”

End of month deadlines? He doesn’t say which month…so keep waiting! Also funny that he says actually smart summon. I wonder what that makes “smart summon”?

Maybe the next paid upgrade to FSD will be “Actually FSD”
I foresee there will be two technical papers on this subject at AI day:
  • Preview of the new system, entitled
    Smart Summon's Comin'
  • Detailed description and lessons learned from the existing system, entitled
    More on Summon

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
I find waiting for the “P” usually results in the worst auto park (at least for perpendicular parking). Instead I locate my spot on my own, angle away from it as I normally would to back in, and put the car in reverse. At that point the option to park almost always shows up. From there I let it finish the job which it typically does in one pass and fairly quickly. (Of course I’m sure it only does it so well in this case because I have already positioned the car for a good parking job.)
I've had my Model 3 for four years now and I've never seen the "P". I've even tried the maneuver you described since it seems like it would help. I guess I'll try it again to see what happens.

Auto park was an after thought, to use the AutoPilot cameras and sensors to allow parallel parking. End result is that it kinda works, but not all that great.
An understatement to be sure, at least for my car. AutoPark never (not once, nada) showed the “P” for the first 4 years of ownership until a recent update. Now it does appear infrequently and actually does park the car. Slowly, annoyingly, and scarily.
As most things Tesla, they come out with a proof of concept (like launching missiles into Outer Space.) At first they give it a try, see what goes wrong, then it gets better.
Yup, typical development cycle today as opposed to the rigorous testing in multiple test beds BEFORE launch as was done before new features and deadlines became more important than reliability. Not just a Tesla philosophy.
See the same thing with auto headlight dimming, turn signal cancellation and windshield wiper automation. They seem to eventually get it right, and often the best in the industry, but along the way it takes time and effort to get it right.
Yup, but the key is “eventually.” And for many features, that time frame will not be included in the ownership of our current vehicle.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely give this a try.

my P always show up, perpendicular or parallel, even on a red traffic light, if the car detects a "spot" behind the car beside mine, a "parallel parking P" will show up, without discreet line on open roads, which i find it pretty cool. I am on 2022.28 if that helps.