Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark on Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the camera screen might give you a better chance.

If you see a spot, stop then slowly pass it. On the camera screen, top-left will have an icon. Click on it :)
Good luck with that! - it can't see the spot in the first place- it doesn't see when you push the icon, either. It does, however, see perpendicular spots, cross traffic behind me when I'm at a red light. Nice feature, Elon. Thanks.

I use parallel auto-park quite often on my X and find it very quick and accurate - a thousand times better than Nissan's useless auto-park on my wife's car! Way more impressive than I expected. I've only used perpendicular park once and that was good too. Unfortunately it's not suitable for use in our garage due to the tight angle of approach.

Good luck with that! - it can't see the spot in the first place- it doesn't see when you push the icon, either. It does, however, see perpendicular spots, cross traffic behind me when I'm at a red light. Nice feature, Elon. Thanks.
At least It always works for me. I use it every day to deal with a narrow parallel parking spot in Downtown LA.

Mine will auto park but it's scary and useless. It puts the car like two feet from the car next to it and always wants to back into the charger hanging at work. So I try it every software update but always found that doing it myself is better as I have to move it over manually regardless. Maybe in a wide open spot it would work better.

I've used Autopark a few times as a novelty for visitors to the X. So far, perpendicular only. I've yet to try parallel - I've heard it's quicker than perp?

I'm much faster than the Autopark, so it's just not a draw for me.

I also like to 'baby' my Baby. When turning the wheels, I like to roll ever-so-slightly, because it feels like it lessens the stress on the steering arm/tie rod as opposed to just 'cranking' the wheels left/right when stopped. Maybe, or maybe not... but it just feels better to me.

To have the car just 'sit and spin' the steering wheel just feels wrong. (it's not, I know... just how I feel)

This said, I still love that I can use it if ever I want to.

One thing I love about autopark - My 2+ yr old MS has some 'curb rash' on the passenger side rims - from me! Autopark has NEVER scraped the rims against the curb. As Aljohn says, though, not to be used when there are cars behind you.

Reactions: GoCanes
I still prefer using autopark for parallel parking, but rarely use it for perpendicular as I usually park front first that way. Parallel parking has always been totally reliable for me once activated, except the odd time it fails to recognise a clearly suitable spot in the first place. That can be a little annoying.

I still prefer using autopark for parallel parking, but rarely use it for perpendicular as I usually park front first that way. Parallel parking has always been totally reliable for me once activated, except the odd time it fails to recognise a clearly suitable spot in the first place. That can be a little annoying.
My experience exactly. I use parralel parking whenever it gives the option (mine doesn't very often and thats super annoying) but never use perpendicular. It takes SOOOO long, I feel like a total A hole for anyone that has to wait so I just do it myself.

My experience exactly. I use parralel parking whenever it gives the option (mine doesn't very often and thats super annoying) but never use perpendicular. It takes SOOOO long, I feel like a total A hole for anyone that has to wait so I just do it myself.

Funnily enough I actually used perpendicular auto park yesterday for the first time in months (must have been subliminal after reading this thread) and it was pretty slow, but it got there in the end and there was nobody waiting. Parallel auto park is pretty snappy though, not sure why there is such a difference in response between the two? If manually parking I find parallel more tricky for sure!

Has anyone successfully gotten theirs to work?
After driving the car between 100 and 200 miles (sorry haven't kept a strict count) over the past week, I finally started seeing some "P"'s appear corresponding to potential parking spots. Much as they stated at delivery, "about a week later the car will start sensing open spots when you drive under 15mph " (don't quote me on the 15) it just sort of magically happened tonight after dinner.
I didn't get a chance to try it out, and quite honestly forgot the procedure to initiate. (I'm also hesitant because my sensors are clearly not behaving as well as others)
Have people had good luck with it? I would be curious how it is supposed to behave in the best case. Potentially, then sensors in the FWD's would enhance the abilities vs the S but I have no knowledge as to whether thats the case.
Wasn't quite clear if this was "driving dynamics" or "user interface" so please feel free to move or delete if redundant but I didn't see anything about it on the X.

Works well on my X, but never seems to get me close enough on parallel park.........sometimes up to 30cm from curb. Maybe our curbs are lower than US. The "reversing lines" actually need to overlap the curb when I park manually to get me close and parallel. So maybe its just ultra conservative. Does anyone know a way to calibrate this autopark so you can park as close as you do manually?

Yes, AP1 cars can auto park. Whether parallel or perpendicular, you need to pass the space framed on both side by two vehicles SLOWLY. A "P" will appear with a Start Icon on the center screen. Press Start and release brake. If the brake or steering is manually operated, the auto park will abort. Trust it and your X will park and set the brake.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, AP1 cars can auto park. Whether parallel or perpendicular, you need to pass the space framed on both side by two vehicles SLOWLY. A "P" will appear with a Start Icon on the center screen. Press Start and release brake. If the brake or steering is manually operated, the auto park will abort. Trust it and your X will park and set the brake.

sweet, thanks. I need to try this out sometime. I guess the key is to go slow