Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark on Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully gotten theirs to work?
After driving the car between 100 and 200 miles (sorry haven't kept a strict count) over the past week, I finally started seeing some "P"'s appear corresponding to potential parking spots. Much as they stated at delivery, "about a week later the car will start sensing open spots when you drive under 15mph " (don't quote me on the 15) it just sort of magically happened tonight after dinner.
I didn't get a chance to try it out, and quite honestly forgot the procedure to initiate. (I'm also hesitant because my sensors are clearly not behaving as well as others)
Have people had good luck with it? I would be curious how it is supposed to behave in the best case. Potentially, then sensors in the FWD's would enhance the abilities vs the S but I have no knowledge as to whether thats the case.
Wasn't quite clear if this was "driving dynamics" or "user interface" so please feel free to move or delete if redundant but I didn't see anything about it on the X.

So I got up the courage to try this, and it was indeed impressive. Yes it had about 9 feet to work with, but the speed and precision was impressive.
It was slightly harder to get engaged then described in the manual, but that might have just been user ignorance.

It seems as though you need to be aware of the car swinging the front end of into traffic and "let it work" at moments where things are clear while pressing the brake at moments when traffic is oncoming but that felt fairly intuitive to me at least.

Same here in regards to the S, had it park in a spot today that I didn't think the car would fit in and wouldn't have been able to do myself...

Jeff

Someone on the FB Model X page said he got his X to autopark in reverse and perpendicular. I know this is not yet part of summon (or antisummon as I call the go park yourself feature, maybe we should call it "go to your kennel" mode) yet. I would love it if someone could shoot a video of perpendicular reverse autopark into a single car garage spot, either for an S, or preferably an X) shot from outside showing how the car handles a relatively tight turn into a garage on the side of a house with fixed obstacles on the far side of the driveway. for auto-park, I know someone has to be in drivers seat, but not doing the maneuvering. Pretty please?

The FWD sensors are not part of AP system or parking. I don't know this for certain, but was told by tech at SC. You can see they don't feed real time info to dash.

Awesome video. Does calibration require you to parallel park or perpendicular park by yourself a couple of times? Anyone know?

The FWD sensors are not part of AP system or parking. I don't know this for certain, but was told by tech at SC. You can see they don't feed real time info to dash.

Awesome video. Does calibration require you to parallel park or perpendicular park by yourself a couple of times? Anyone know?

I didn't perform any special calibration procedures, but I do perpendicularly park almost exclusively and auto park showed up for me about four days after I started driving. I don't have any parallel parking spaces near me to test to see if parallel auto parking is available.

Has anyone successfully gotten theirs to work?
After driving the car between 100 and 200 miles (sorry haven't kept a strict count) over the past week, I finally started seeing some "P"'s appear corresponding to potential parking spots. Much as they stated at delivery, "about a week later the car will start sensing open spots when you drive under 15mph " (don't quote me on the 15) it just sort of magically happened tonight after dinner.
I didn't get a chance to try it out, and quite honestly forgot the procedure to initiate. (I'm also hesitant because my sensors are clearly not behaving as well as others)
Have people had good luck with it? I would be curious how it is supposed to behave in the best case. Potentially, then sensors in the FWD's would enhance the abilities vs the S but I have no knowledge as to whether thats the case.
Wasn't quite clear if this was "driving dynamics" or "user interface" so please feel free to move or delete if redundant but I didn't see anything about it on the X.
I see the replies about Model S when you are asking about Model X. I have a Model X. The Autopark works ONLY when the stupid thing detects a spot. That's the problem! It doesn't see parallel spots hardly ever. Perpendicular? Same deal. Typical overpromise and underperformance by Tesla.

I now have 900+ miles on my X, and I have never been offered autopark. :( I am hoping the software update being pushed right now will take care of that. It's on my punch list of things to bring up to the SC.
Having the camera screen might give you a better chance.

If you see a spot, stop then slowly pass it. On the camera screen, top-left will have an icon. Click on it :)

The X requires a learning period, so may not detect parking spots day one. Afterwards to parallel park, the driver needs to slowly pull forward of the parking space (similar to regular parking) the X will detect the parking space indicated by a "parking area bracketed P". The space must be large enough for the X to fit for the Parking Bracket Area to display. Pressing the P area will initiate the parking sequence. The X only recognizes parking spots between two other vehicles -- whether parallel on perpendicular parking so if there is an open space UN-bracketed by other vehicles park manually. After pressing the P to initiate the parking sequence the driver must not steer, brake or press the accelerator. Any of these will cancel auto park. Trust is a MUST!

Quite honestly, I can park quicker myself, but a nice feature for those who are "parking challenged". I would not use on busy city streets, since impatient drivers may come in the proximity of the X which will also will cancel the parking maneuver. Again a nice convenience, but slower than the capability of an experienced driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: JQS3