Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark - Perpendicular Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I dont know if there is a guide out there but I have never got perpendicular park to work.. I've seen the P ready for perpendicular park but its not actually a space. Its a narrow driveway or alley road. I've tried between two cars but I can't get the P to show up.

That said, I've used auto parallel park many times and love it.

Yes perpendicular park technically does work... but frequently it takes our Model S a long time to actually park in a perpendicular space since it takes a couple of back and forth / in & out turns to actually park inside a perpendicular space. Reminds me of a new teenager trying to park for the first time.

Also backing into a space confuses drivers behind you... Which irritates them even more when our Tesla takes a couple of tries to back into a space.

Great gimmick but definitely needs work... And absolutely needs to be able to park into a perpendicular space like our garage at home. Summon only works pulling straight in & out. Tesla should be able to LEARN how to park in our perpendicular garage. Heck I can do it and I'm 61. LOL

Our Model S parks itself perfectly every time. You just need to give it a reasonable 'run up' - looking at the video above, I'd say from personal experience that he hadn't gone far enough past the spot
Agreed. It would be nice to improve this feature, but until then, the driver has to be the one who "learns." Once you learn to pull up to the ideal location, it pulls in well without multiple ins and outs.

I don't know if it is the car learning or me learning, but my early attempts were "clumsy" (slow)
but recently it has been doing a beautiful job. So it is possible -- and not just under some
freakishly rare circumstances.

When it is searching for a perpendicular spot (or parallel, for that matter), keep in mind that it isn't
going to suggest a more difficult parking place if it senses an easier alternative. So if you drive past
a space between two cars, but there's a big open space ahead, it isn't going to say "hey, let's futz around
cramming ourselves into that little space back there!". I discovered this when trying to "show off" the parking
feature and it wouldn't try -- it didn't need to.

I have made it work reliably on most all occasions, but as another person said it is not very practical unless you are in a place with very little traffic because of 1) having to pull so far past the spot someone else my presume you do not want that spot and 2) the speed (or not) with which it parks!

Works for me very well. Parks perfectly between two cars. I feel a little bit of relief whenever the P shows up for perpendicular or parallel parking. You don't have to go much beyond the parking space. It rarely has to repark itself. I click to the exit profile and unbuckle. I always prefer having it self park. I would assume in time speed will be increased.

No issues with parking in public regardless of traffic level. Never had had anyone try to take the spot. That's what the turn signal is for whether you are parking or the car is. I have my Tesla self park significantly more often than do it myself. I can vouch I have no issue with speed.

That being said, it's odd that parallel parking is quick. Significantly quicker than my partner or I parallel parking, and much more effective than us at it. Also pulls into spots I would not dare try on my own. It doesn't trigger as reliably as perpendicular. Perpendicular triggers very reliably.

Works for me very well. Parks perfectly between two cars. I feel a little bit of relief whenever the P shows up for perpendicular or parallel parking. You don't have to go much beyond the parking space. It rarely has to repark itself. I click to the exit profile and unbuckle. I always prefer having it self park. I would assume in time speed will be increased.

No issues with parking in public regardless of traffic level. Never had had anyone try to take the spot. That's what the turn signal is for whether you are parking or the car is. I have my Tesla self park significantly more often than do it myself. I can vouch I have no issue with speed.

That being said, it's odd that parallel parking is quick. Significantly quicker than my partner or I parallel parking, and much more effective than us at it. Also pulls into spots I would not dare try on my own. It doesn't trigger as reliably as perpendicular. Perpendicular triggers very reliably.
You must live in a polite city Magus :)

Every time I have tried auto park for perpendicular spaces between 2 cars I can't get the "P" to show on the touchscreen I noticed the video above shows a Model X, perhaps perpendicular parking works better than on my Model S? It works great for parallel parking, however.

With most of SC back-in type, I wish Tesla would program perpendicular parking to park regardless of whether or not there are cars on either side of the space. Afterall, it's recommended not to use a paired SC pedestal that is in use if another pair are unused.

With most of SC back-in type, I wish Tesla would program perpendicular parking to park regardless of whether or not there are cars on either side of the space. Afterall, it's recommended not to use a paired SC pedestal that is in use if another pair are unused.
The problem is that Tesla uses the ultrasonic distance sensors to know where to park. These can see cars, but not lines. There are not adequate sensors to allow auto parking without cars on both sides.

1. After reading the posts in this thread, I realized the reason I was not getting the "P" to show up for perpendicular parking was that one has to go significantly past the space before the "P" appears. I was able to use it this morning and it worked flawlessly! Thanks for the help

Reactions: Galve2000
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I almost never see it.

I've only successfully done it twice.

I drive way past, but still nothing
I get close to the side that I want it to park at and still nothing
I get further away to the other side and still nothing

It could be that the only chance I have to test it is at work, and people here seem obsessed with parking their big car next to a small car. Or a small car next to a big car. So there is quite a bit of difference between how far the cars stick out.

The problem is that Tesla uses the ultrasonic distance sensors to know where to park. These can see cars, but not lines. There are not adequate sensors to allow auto parking without cars on both sides.
I went to the Sunday Social and Summons demo today at the Tesla store in San Diego UTC. It was eluded to that summons and I would assume parking, uses the parking space lines. If not, it shouldn't be a problem since the front camera uses the painted lines to self steer