Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark Questions - After 2021.32 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manual for the 2021.32.x software for 2012-2020 Model S states the Autopark needs a 9.5 ft width minimum. A standard large parking space in the US is 9 ft. Anyone had success with the new Autopark recognizing a space and parking based on stripes only (no cars on either side)?

My goal is to paint stripes on my garage floor so my Model S recognizes it as a parking spot and I can just press the P to have it guide in exactly where I want it. Has anyone else done this and how did it go?

While I can't comment specifically on what you're asking, I can recommend an easier test of this theory. Simply get yourself a roll of athletic tape and mark off the space that you intend to paint. The car will still recognize the lines as parking space lines since it's looking for white stripes. Give it a good long trial run before you commit to painting on your floor. If the test phase is a failure, all your out is a few bucks worth of athletic tape and a few minutes to pull it back up off the floor.

I've got several rolls of hockey tape ready to go. I don't expect them to stick well, but it will get the job done. I've got a friend getting me a roll of that thick reflective tape they use for temporary road lines if the hockey tape works. My garage floor is painted a solid beige color so I am not sure how well yellow or white will show up for the camera. I am going to try black tape first and see if it will recognize it.

I tested mine and it successfully parked perfectly between the lines without any other cars nearby. It was a normal to smaller sized space.
Thanks for the feedback Bull. I have a 2016 Model S that was HW 2.0 and MCU1. I just upgraded to FSD hardware and MCU2. I hope Autopark will work better now than it did in the past. I rarely saw it recognize a space previously.

Reactions: Bull
The autopark refresh is certainly better than the old version (it hasn't hit anything yet...) but still practically unuseable in real life traffic. It detects spaces better but you have to drive so slowly then jam on the brakes before you go too far and it picks up the next space and the following car by then is right behind you. If you DO get a space and can reverse it does it accurately - but takes so long during the exercise with long thinks and so much winding of the wheel that I can imagine a large gentleman with a baseball bat knocking on the window....