Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark questions from a Model S newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scary. Have others had issues with autopark leading to damaged wheels or body parts?
no problems here. In fact the main reason I use auto parallel park is that it does a good job at consistently parking a safe distance from the curb, and perfectly parallel - safe from curb rash. I use it all the time - unlike some others I didn't have any long period "configuring" when the car was new. When using auto-park, I am watching very carefully, ready to stop if things don't look safe, but so far I've never had to interrupt the auto sequence and take over.

It did take a while at first to realize I needed to pull far enough forward for the car to recognize the space and display the "P" in the dash ie. if manually parallel parking, I would normally pull about even with the car in front of the open space, before reversing. But for the Tesla's auto park to recognize the space and display the P, you need to pull a few feet further ahead than that. If I do that, then there's no problem consistently recognizing a valid parking space, assuming it's long enough.

@Bruin1996 have you tried pulling your car slightly further ahead before stopping?

• Informative
Reactions: gavine