Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark questions from a Model S newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I just got my Model S about one week ago and I have been trying to get my Tesla to Autopark to no avail. I've driven
by open spots between 2 cars perpendicularly parked slowly at 3-5 mph several times but I never see the P light up. Any advice on what I may be missing? Thanks in advance.

• Love
Reactions: siraj
OP, I've had my MS for just over 6 months, so well beyond any learning period, and have never successfully used Autopark. I've also tried multiple times to go slow, be 1-2 feet from the cars parked on my right, and proceed well past halfway of the car in front of where I want to parallel park. I have given up each time trying to get the "P" to appear on the IC, and just do it myself. OTOH, I've had the "P" appear when I'm stopped at a light with traffic on my right hand side also waiting to go. IMHO Autopark is something I'd like to occasionally use, but it's another (Beta) feature that remains too inconsistent for me to count on. Perhaps we'll both be surprised one day when all the conditions are there to give it a try.

Are there pics of the calibrating message?
No pictures, but p80 of the current owner's manual under Calibration has the explaination. It notes this can take
...anywhere from 30 minutes to several days, depending on driving behavior. When Autopark is calibrating, a note displays on the Driver Assistance settings screen indicating calibration is in progress. When calibration is complete, this note no longer displays and Autopark is available for use. Note: Autopark repeats the calibration process whenever tires are changed.

Old thread, new owner of 2015 with AP and Tech Package. CPO was factory reset and V8 loaded as part of pre-delivery process. So I assume it is calibrating - however I see nothing in the Settings for Autopark to suggest/support this assumption. Has anyone seen this message and can tell me where to look for it - before I bother the SC with yet another dumb question ;)

Secondary question if/when it is calibrated are there any settings associated with it - like the distance settings in Summon?

And finally - is there anyway to get the MS to 'Summon' from inside the car (to allow a nervous driver to park in a tight garage situation from inside the vehicle? I know you are supposed to watch it, but seems to me the sensors on teh dash will tell you as much or more than being on one blind-side or another outside of the vehicle.

Old thread, new owner of 2015 with AP and Tech Package. CPO was factory reset and V8 loaded as part of pre-delivery process. So I assume it is calibrating - however I see nothing in the Settings for Autopark to suggest/support this assumption. Has anyone seen this message and can tell me where to look for it - before I bother the SC with yet another dumb question ;)

Secondary question if/when it is calibrated are there any settings associated with it - like the distance settings in Summon?

And finally - is there anyway to get the MS to 'Summon' from inside the car (to allow a nervous driver to park in a tight garage situation from inside the vehicle? I know you are supposed to watch it, but seems to me the sensors on teh dash will tell you as much or more than being on one blind-side or another outside of the vehicle.
Calibration happens pretty quickly. From what I recall there is a message that appears somewhere, but I had it for such a short time with 7.0 I forget where it is displayed.

If you follow the autopark instructions and drive slowly (<18 mph) past a potential parallel- or back-in space, you should see a small "P" icon on the ICD (instrument cluster). If you see that, autopark is ready to go. Stop, put the car in reverse, accept the "autopark" on the main display and watch the car do its thing. I always monitor everything carefully but have never had a problem. Parallel parks works almost as fast as I do and always nails the position. I'm always watch my side-view mirrors like a hawk with back-in (a.k.a perpendicular) parking because it does come uncomfortably close to the cars in the adjacent space before it goes forward and straightens out, but I have never had a problem.

Summon options are on the driver assistance configuration screen. There aren't too many options -- just stopping distance, tight/wide, total distance, and use of auto-homelink.

You can summon from in the car. Put the car in park, double-press the "P" button at the end of the stalk, select forward or reverse on the screen, then open and close your door (you might have to take off your seat belt). The door trick fools summon into thinking you got out.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: ev-now
Hi everyone,

I just got my Model S about one week ago and I have been trying to get my Tesla to Autopark to no avail. I've driven
by open spots between 2 cars perpendicularly parked slowly at 3-5 mph several times but I never see the P light up. Any advice on what I may be missing? Thanks in advance.

Congrats on taking delivery of your Tesla! I've had min for about 5 mos. and it did take awhile for mine to "learn" autopark. I did find reading the Auto park section in the owners manual was quite helpful(I know I'm pointing out the obvious but not everybody thinks to check out the owner's manual:eek:).

My daily autopark is backing into a narrow garage with carriage doors. It was a struggle in the beginning but after changing settings it works great...and I notice subtle tweeks as time goes on. For instance, I thought when simply pulling forward or reversing into a parking space the Tesla would follow a straight line but recently I've noticed the wheels turning/adjusting to get a better angle backing into my garage...pretty cool!

Calibration happens pretty quickly. From what I recall there is a message that appears somewhere, but I had it for such a short time with 7.0 I forget where it is displayed.

If you follow the autopark instructions and drive slowly (<18 mph) past a potential parallel- or back-in space, you should see a small "P" icon on the ICD (instrument cluster). If you see that, autopark is ready to go. Stop, put the car in reverse, accept the "autopark" on the main display and watch the car do its thing. I always monitor everything carefully but have never had a problem. Parallel parks works almost as fast as I do and always nails the position. I'm always watch my side-view mirrors like a hawk with back-in (a.k.a perpendicular) parking because it does come uncomfortably close to the cars in the adjacent space before it goes forward and straightens out, but I have never had a problem.

Summon options are on the driver assistance configuration screen. There aren't too many options -- just stopping distance, tight/wide, total distance, and use of auto-homelink.

You can summon from in the car. Put the car in park, double-press the "P" button at the end of the stalk, select forward or reverse on the screen, then open and close your door (you might have to take off your seat belt). The door trick fools summon into thinking you got out.

Hope this helps.

I believe the threshold is below 15 mph.

I have used mine only a hand full of times. I say hand full as I have forced it by pressing the park button 2x so it presents me auto-park forward or reverse, similar to summon and the app calls it that when you get a notification. I have only used the actual turning into a spot twice and one time i stopped it because it made about 7 movements.

I very rarely get the elusive P, they actually couldn't even demo the feature on one of our test drives. I have also experienced where the car has wanted to park when I am just stopped at a light.

Reactions: SG57
Once in a while I use the self-park feature, but I also watch the mirrors carefully because on one occasion, the car scraped the curb with my right rear wheel -- I was not happy about that. It looked like a normal height granite curb, in good condition, so I was unsure why the sensors missed it. Nothing is perfect so be vigilant.