TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopark / Summon - How it works?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Cr8it, May 5, 2016.

1. Cr8it

Cr8it Member

I am awaiting delivery of my vehicle and in the process of working with an electrician to get power to the right location. As I was thinking about how to do this, I wondered about the Autopark feature. I have an extremely long driveway, which I would not want to navigate backing up. However, at my garage, there is sufficient areas to turn the car around. In one location I am looking to install power, I would be better if I back into the garage. If I pull into the driveway. Will auto park maneuver to turn the car around and back in, or will it only either pull in or back in when pointed the right way?

Thanks

2. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

Summon will only move the car forward or backwards, no steering, and only for a set amount of feet. Autopark would technically do it, but the current software only seems to do auto park if it senses other cars when you have your car in the right spot. Currently, you would likely need to line it up, then use summon to back the car in the final 10 feet or so into your garage.

3. knygard

knygard New Member

4. knygard

knygard New Member

I've noticed that when Summon is backing into my carport the steering wheel turns from side to side and the car tries to maneuver. Unfortunately, it usually goes toward the side of the house rather than straightening out and parking evenly between the house and the plastic garbage cans lining the other side of the stall. I don't understand why it turns the wheel since I thought it could only go straight. I also don't understand why it turns the wheel in a direction that makes it crooked in the stall rather than lined up.

5. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

Yeah, it will correct the steering as needed to avoid things that the sensors might pickup, but it's not really meant for self parking. Guess that's why it's still considered BETA software!

6. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

7. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Are you holding the button down in the app the whole time and then releasing once in there or does it know to stop?

I havent tried summon yet as i am really nervous about it

8. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

No, I did not hold the summon button down although that would be an alternate, though more clumsy way to get the job done. And, yes, it will stop by itself and not careen into the wall. I told my wife to pull up to the garage, push park twice (which brings up auto park), push the appropriate button on the touch screen, and get out. I did, however, have MY finger on the key fob to make an emergency stop if necessary.

• Like x 1
  9. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

My car steers in summon.

Put the car at an angle to my garage and it straightened out.

10. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

I'm not sure I understand the 'not meant for self parking' comment. I thought that was the whole point of Summon. I use it regularly to self park without a problem, although I find results are best when I back the car up in the driveway pretty straight in, and not expect it to do much correction.

To the OP, with the backup camera, and the guidance lines it draws for you, you literally could navigate the length of your driveway without any issues, but if you have room at the garage to turn it around there I would suggest getting it backed up more or less straight and keep your thumb on the remote to immediately stop it if needed.

• Like x 1
  11. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

Oh yes, it will do that. I meant WE cannot steer it manually with the summon app. It's like Muggado said, It will steer itself to avoid obstacles.