Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently updated to 2021.44.6 which, in the UK, introduced Vision Autopark - it now detects lines for perpendicular parking with cameras etc. However I've noticed that the parallel parking is SIGNIFICANTLY worse for me. It turns in too late now and turns in at a Sharp angle needing 5-6 manoeuvres to park. Previously, it would get into the space mostly in one smooth manoeuvre and do an adjustment to centre. If it was a tight space there would be a couple of further adjustments. But since the update it is terrible and often brakes suddenly during the process.

Anyone else had similar issues? And if so, have you been able to resolve it in any way? E.g. Do cameras need recalibration or something?

I recently updated to 2021.44.6 which, in the UK, introduced Vision Autopark - it now detects lines for perpendicular parking with cameras etc. However I've noticed that the parallel parking is SIGNIFICANTLY worse for me. It turns in too late now and turns in at a Sharp angle needing 5-6 manoeuvres to park. Previously, it would get into the space mostly in one smooth manoeuvre and do an adjustment to centre. If it was a tight space there would be a couple of further adjustments. But since the update it is terrible and often brakes suddenly during the process.

Anyone else had similar issues? And if so, have you been able to resolve it in any way? E.g. Do cameras need recalibration or something?
Vision perpendicular park has worked good for me but admittedly I never tried before vision parking (after I installed FSD)...

How about parallel parking? The perpendicular was okish for me but parallel parking was so bad yesterday it's almost dangerous
To be honest I've never tried. Just like with my previous car (Ford Escape) that had this feature, I never had an opportunity that I was willing to try it. With that said, I suspect the change to vision will be a step backwards for a few updates, and then be an improvement. That's the typical progression of the updates IMO.

To be honest I've never tried. Just like with my previous car (Ford Escape) that had this feature, I never had an opportunity that I was willing to try it. With that said, I suspect the change to vision will be a step backwards for a few updates, and then be an improvement. That's the typical progression of the updates IMO.
I see. I guess it's more common to have to parallel park in the UK.

I hope it improves. My concern is that it's been out in the US for a while now (I think) so has had time to be improved. But maybe I'm wrong on that.

For sure I think vision based parking has potential to be better than radar. Its just a question of how long we take to get there. Right now I'm a bit irritated that a feature I use a lot is now virtually unusable.

Reactions: okcazure
Parallel parking is common in city centers and older cities here. But most people (with a Tesla) live in suburbs.

In the last 2 decades, I've probably parallel parked a dozen times ;)
Fair enough. I have to do it 2-3 times a week now and I'm useless at it so was great to have Autopark working really well. I guess I'll have to learn the old fashioned way until they improve it again. It's a bit frustrating given I paid for the upgrade and now they've (hopefully only temporarily) ruinedi t

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and okcazure
Fair enough. I have to do it 2-3 times a week now and I'm useless at it so was great to have Autopark working really well. I guess I'll have to learn the old fashioned way until they improve it again. It's a bit frustrating given I paid for the upgrade and now they've (hopefully only temporarily) ruinedi t

I still have a hard time getting the car to recognize that it can park. (Parallel or otherwise). Do you have any advice on how to make it see the spot?

I still have a hard time getting the car to recognize that it can park. (Parallel or otherwise). Do you have any advice on how to make it see the spot?
Perpendicular is fairly simple.

Drive sloooowly (< 5mph) next to parking spots (may be 5 or 6 ft out). It will show "P" when it recognizes a spot. Click on P and follow directions.

There are some reports that you can now park without the "P" showing up - I've to check that.

As mentioned above, you have to drive quite slowly past it. Most of the time it picks up the space for me but it can be a bit later than you expect it to show up. Funnily enough it seems to have got a fair bit better at detecting spots with the new vision system.

Just for reference Parallel Parking is legacy/ultrasonic (doesn't see lines). Perpendicular Parking is Vision/FSD Beta Stack subset (sees lines). Parallel Parking will at some point be updated to the Vision/FSD Beta Stack, since it will be "one Stack to rule them all".
Is this confirmed somewhere? I thought this was the case as well but since the update wrecked Parallel Parking feature for me i assumed they had transitioned it to Vision. So I'm trying to get feedback from other people that have used it since the update to see if it's just something that's happened to me and a few others or if it is a widespread problem

Is this confirmed somewhere? I thought this was the case as well but since the update wrecked Parallel Parking feature for me i assumed they had transitioned it to Vision. So I'm trying to get feedback from other people that have used it since the update to see if it's just something that's happened to me and a few others or if it is a widespread problem
Elon Tweeted about Perpendicular Parking and it was prominent in the Release Notes and there is nothing about Parallel Parking in the Release Notes.

IMG_9476.jpeg
IMG_0081D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
Elon Tweeted about Perpendicular Parking and it was prominent in the Release Notes and there is nothing about Parallel Parking in the Release Notes.

View attachment 748931View attachment 748930
Thanks. Wasn't totally clear to me from the release notes. All I interpreted from the release notes is that autopark is now able to detect lines for perpendicular parking. That could mean everything is transitioned to vision and this is new functionality for perpendicular parking.

But I could be wrong. I'm just inferring it has changed given how this updated made it worse. I guess the way to know is whether the new models which don't have radar feature parallel parking. If they do then I guess they have transitioned all autopark to vision

But I could be wrong. I'm just inferring it has changed given how this updated made it worse. I guess the way to know is whether the new models which don't have radar feature parallel parking. If they do then I guess they have transitioned all autopark to vision
I thought old auto park just used sonar, not radar. After all radar is bad at detecting stationary objects.

I thought old auto park just used sonar, not radar. After all radar is bad at detecting stationary objects.
Parallel Park uses the ultrasonic sensors. Sonar is using infrasonic (lower frequency) sound in water. Also there is only one forward facing radar unit that would be useless for any parking except straight head in or angled head in parking.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 6.12.17 AM.png

Glad someone else has the same problem as me.

Can we get a fix for this, I prefer the old way.