Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark Vision experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used Autopark quite successfully in the past with my July 2021 MYLR Vision. Since the 10.3.x update, the system has updated to Vision, as I understand it. Pulled off a nice perpendicular parking spot with no cars surrounding last night. Today, tried in a parallel spot twice with utter failure! First one seemed to be about to hit the curb, so I aborted. Second attempt aborted on its own. Thing is, the spot was huge and easy! So I parked the old-fashioned way, but I'm puzzled.

What has your experience been so far with the new Vision Autopark system?

I tested autopark in perpendicular spots in empty grocery store lots and it worked well! I just wish it would pick up my parking spot in my apartment parking garage, there's pillars and cars parked in random positions in their tandem parking spots so it obviously gets very confused.

My MYP Vision has rarely ever been able to pick up parallel parking spots on stable firmware, so I'll need to check it out on 10.3.1

Here is a little funny experience with the new Parking.

In parking deck I tried AutoPark and the spot had a LARGE round pillar in the passengers corner. As it was backing up (covering brake) it started getting close to the pillar and it would cut the wheel to move the rear away from it. It would then dislike the angle and pull forward and back again. Did this about 5 or 6 times before it gave up and just parked with the front out a little. It was kinda caught in loop and I wondered how long it would go on.

Has anyone noticed how much better autopark has got over the last year? I’ve had it since 2018 but it has not been practical until this year. I’ve actually been able to get it to pull straight in without doing a 3 point turn most attempts. It’s not a parlor trick anymore.

Question: Does one need EAP or FSD to have access to Autopark?

Correct, but there are differences in what autopark you get.

EAP with HW2/HW2.5 = Autopark that uses Ultrasonic sensors, and has limitations in when it can be used. Like perpendicular parking you have to have a vehicle on either side.
FSD/HW3 = Vision Autopark without the limitations EAP has.

EAP or FSD = too slow to actually use in the real world

• Informative
Reactions: okcazure
My 2020 M3LR just got updated to 2021.44.6, which has vision based autopark rolled into it for me, and it's just terrible.

I tried it in an empty parking lot with bright yellow lines on black asphalt, in a clean car and although it managed to get into the three wide-open, completely flat, spots I tried, it was jerky, with abrupt braking for no apparent reason, and in both cases had to go back and forth two to four times.

For some reason it gets stuck for 5-15 seconds trying to make tiny when adjustments before deciding to go forward again.

Most of the auto-drive type features in the car just feel like being driven around by a new student driver, but this is even worse so far...

Still, at least GPS waypoints work at last 😞

My 2020 M3LR just got updated to 2021.44.6, which has vision based autopark rolled into it for me, and it's just terrible.

I tried it in an empty parking lot with bright yellow lines on black asphalt, in a clean car and although it managed to get into the three wide-open, completely flat, spots I tried, it was jerky, with abrupt braking for no apparent reason, and in both cases had to go back and forth two to four times.

For some reason it gets stuck for 5-15 seconds trying to make tiny when adjustments before deciding to go forward again.

Most of the auto-drive type features in the car just feel like being driven around by a new student driver, but this is even worse so far...

I've had exactly the same experience. I went to test it in a car park and, given it was completely empty, it took many maneouvres and was braking very abruptly. The worst thing is that parallel parking has now become extremely bad for me too. I often park in a spot which is reasonably large and it used to park in one smooth move (and sometimes an adjustment at the end to center the car) but this time it took 5-6 maneouvres with very abrupt braking. It was turning the car in too late and swinging it really far out wide on the approach - i had to abort at some point because it felt dangerous with the abrupt braking. Very frustrating given how well it worked before...

• Informative
Reactions: Scelto
I'm guessing they are getting closer to their goal of single stack for these things.
Rather than having an autopark suite and a smart summon suite and a FSD suite, they were supposed to be bringing them under one umbrella
I say that because the stuttering steering jerkiness I see in autopark now looks just like FSD when its trying to figure out how to make a turn.

A bit like the previously smooth AP is now an uncomfortable brake-fest on a clear sunny day.

I'm guessing they are getting closer to their goal of single stack for these things.
Rather than having an autopark suite and a smart summon suite and a FSD suite, they were supposed to be bringing them under one umbrella
I say that because the stuttering steering jerkiness I see in autopark now looks just like FSD when its trying to figure out how to make a turn.

A bit like the previously smooth AP is now an uncomfortable brake-fest on a clear sunny day.
I'm concerned about (basic) AP now. It's been fine for me since I got the car 6 months ago but I wonder whether this updated has messed it up given what it has done to Autopark. Wish there was a way to go back...

[...]
You're onto something here. I took my car out for a nice early morning drive today, beautiful sunshine and nearly empty roads.

I always use autosteer and TACC until I get to the interesting roads but that part of the well-trodden journey was full of random, though thankfully gentle, slowdowns for no apparent reason.

Bizarrely the car could no longer even seem to judge the appropriate level of braking from 40mph to zero at well marked traffic signals, braking then realizing about 30ft before the line that it had to speed up a bit to get to the line!

I guess that's already off-topic enough for a parking thread so I'll find somewhere else to "encourage Tesla to do better' with the utterly hateful new UI... 🙄

Today I recalibrate the cameras and all the jerkiness and sudden braking I got when autoparking has gone. The parallel parking is still much worse than before though - it is taking a much worse path and taking much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: Scelto
Anyone with these issues, please raise them with your service centre. There don't seem to be that many people who use parallel park so it's not something that gets reported a lot. I spoke to my service today and they said that this is the first they had heard of it and asked me to send video footage etc. They suggested that the more people that report it, the more likely it is to actually get looked at. So if we keep pestering them we might get somewhere. We may not get anywhere but worth a try because this is something that has gotten worse...

Anyone with these issues, please raise them with your service centre. There don't seem to be that many people who use parallel park so it's not something that gets reported a lot. I spoke to my service today and they said that this is the first they had heard of it and asked me to send video footage etc. They suggested that the more people that report it, the more likely it is to actually get looked at. So if we keep pestering them we might get somewhere. We may not get anywhere but worth a try because this is something that has gotten worse...
Parallel Parking is NOT Vision (it is legacy ultrasonic) so not really applicable to this thread. Vision is only Perpendicular Parking at this time.

Parallel Parking is NOT Vision (it is legacy ultrasonic) so not really applicable to this thread. Vision is only Perpendicular Parking at this time.
Is there concrete evidence for this? I'm not saying otherwise but I'm just going by the fact that parallel parking was made significantly worse with the vision update. Maybe it's unrelated but it doesn't seem to be the case.

All I've seen so far is that perpendicular parking can use lines. That doesn't necessarily mean parallel parking isn't vision. But maybe they have stated so and I've not seen it. The release notes I've seen don't suggest to me that parallel parking hasn't changed. They likely won't talk about the technical details in release notes because ultimately the user doesn't need to know this. All the user needs to know are the features - the new feature is that it can detect lines in parking bays. If parallel parking has no new features, they need not tell us but may still have changed how it works.