TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPark

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Excite, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Excite

Excite Member

Hello All,

I got my Model 3 AWD Performance yesterday. Beautiful car and I love it!

I can't get AutoPark to work. What I mean is, it doesn't show me the "Parking Spot" for me to move into. Is there a trick to enable the feature?

Other Autopilot features seem to work. Cruise Control, AutoSteer, Lane Changes seem to work. But, Auto Park doesn't seem available.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Mohan
    PS: Did I just miss the free super-charging for the Model 3 Performance? I am also Signature S (P85) owner since 2012. Is there a way I can get the free super-charging for Model 3?

2. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

If it is anything like the X and S, slooowly drive past the spot you want to part in and it will show a P on the dash once it sees it. I am sure your latest generation AP (We have AP1 on our X) has better sensors and might "see" the spot sooner.

As to supercharging on your performance model 3: I think you are grandfathered in but ask Tesla (or go charge and see if you have it)

3. Excite

Excite Member

The problem is "P" is not showing up. My Sig S never had autopilot capability, so never was able to test. But, a loaner S once let me do it, so I had a brief experience with it. Same Parking Spot is not being recognized by the brand new Model 3. Not sure what to do!

Mohan

4. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Did you try it backwards and forewards? Sorry, will have to wait until our Model 3 arrives!

5. Excite

Excite Member

Not yet. I will try it and report.

6. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

This is the one feature I have a hard time getting to work. I pass the spots slow, I pass them close to the right. is close to impossible to get it to work.
    and from 3 times I got it to work, twice stopped in the middle of execution. just didn't want to move more so I had to finish parking,

7. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

AFAIK, it doesn't sense the parking space with the cameras. It uses sonar/radar to detect adjacent cars. So it won't work unless you're parking in between two other cars/objects. It did work between a car and a curb once but it usually won't detect a curb. It's definitely not something that you can rely on but it's a cool trick when it works.

8. ronm2948

ronm2948 Member

As the previous poster said, auto-park will only work when there are cars on both ends of the parking space you want to use. And I think you need to be going 5mph or less as you drive past the spot.

And for the free supercharging, I believe you should get it. I think that all P’s ordered before Aug 1st qualify.

• Informative x 1
  9. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

The most important requirement for getting AutoPark to work is to read the instructions closely.

If I remember correctly, only between two cars, less than 27 mph, watch for P to appear (and disappear because you were going too fast)
    It is slower than molasses, if there are other cars on the road, they will probably be blowing horns at you.

10. Excite

Excite Member

Weird that it doesn't detect parking when there are no other cars. It should be jumping up and down to park when there are no other cars! :) The one time, my loaner S, detected the spot automatically, I don't actually remember whether there are cars in the adjacent spots or not. I am trying the same spot, with cars on both sides, and Model 3 is not recognizing. It is perpendicular parking (not parallel).

11. LadyMacbrat

LadyMacbrat Member

I’m having the same issue

12. rodrego66

rodrego66 Member

Does auto park only work with auto pilot or do all of the Model 3s have it?

13. mekberg

mekberg Member

Auto park and auto lane change will not work if any of the ultrasonic parking sensors are inoperable. Unfortunately there isn't a user-facing error in this case.

I had the #10 sensor inop since delivery. Took 2 months for parts and mobile service to come fix. Just now able to use these features.

Other symptoms:
    1. No parking sensor warning chimes
    2. No warning "lines" when approaching obstacles from the front while in Drive
    3. No warning "lines" along the side of the vehicle when obstacles go past (like other cars)

14. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

The ‘P’ pops ups TOO much for me. Especially when I pull up to a busy intersection. It’s like my car is telling me to get off the road like a warning (Final Destination movie) :eek:

• Funny x 2
  15. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

In my personal experience there are two secrets to get autopark to work consistently:

1. Drive much further past the spot you want to park in than comes naturally to you, by maybe 5-7 feet; and

2. You need the spot (and cars next to the spot) much closer to your car than comes naturally to you. If the spot you want is the driver side, pull up as close as you'd get to an ATM to get cash or a drive through window.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Again... it's a cool trick when it works but, often, it's not very practical.

17. se210

se210 Member

Road tested the 3 yesterday waiting for ours on the 22nd, we came back and did the perpendicular parking, had to go very slowly driving by the parked car till the P showed then pressed on P and it parked by itself in three steps (1 back, 1 forward and 1 back)

18. Excite

Excite Member

May be I should have someone walk around my car while I sit inside to see which proximity sensors are not working?

19. atlas310

atlas310 Member

I wish there was a setting to adjust the autopark speed. When I do manage to get it to work, it tries to autopark really fast. Makes me nervous every time and I end up overriding it because I'm afraid it's going to ram the car behind.

20. mekberg

mekberg Member

This is exactly what I did. Had a friend stand in front of each proximity sensor, one at a time. By the time the tech came out to diagnose we had already pinpointed the sensor. Tech swapped sensor with an adjacent one to rule out wiring.

• Informative x 1