Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It works on both sides of the vehicle, however it has some very specific things it looks for. It needs a space the right size with a car both in front and behind, and it needs a relatively defined curb. If there's only a vehicle on one side of the stall it won't work, and if the curb is too gradual, or not tall enough it also won't work. You also need to be traveling at slow speed for it to detect them.
On a new car, or after some software updates it also needs to spend time calibrating the sensors before it will see any stalls, and even after it claims calibration is complete, it seems to continue to improve that calibration for the next little while, so it may not see as many stalls at first.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I've also had some tense moments using auto park where there is a lot of traffic around. The process is super slow plus you typically have to pass the spot by a good amount before the car will give you the "P" on the 17". Other drivers tend to not have the requisite patience to make it a good experience.

Reactions: Sugacookie
Word to the wise: just give up on the idea of ever demoing autopark to other people. It has an uncanny knack for choosing
those occasions to refuse to recognize a spot and embarrass you. And certainly never attempt a spontaneous, unrehearsed demo.

That's exactly want happened to me today. I refused to accept it and kept driving around the lot for a bit. But ended up giving up after five minutes. I was definitely a bit frustrated.

Word to the wise: just give up on the idea of ever demoing autopark to other people. It has an uncanny knack for choosing
those occasions to refuse to recognize a spot and embarrass you. And certainly never attempt a spontaneous, unrehearsed demo.
This has been my experience too! So annoying! There have also been times where I would prefer to let it park itself (such as when there is no traffic behind me) and it never is willing to autopark then! But when there's a lot of traffic around it is willing to autopark. In those situations I often prefer to park myself since other drivers like to get so close behind... The couple of times that it has wanted to autopark but I have chosen to park manually the center screen has frozen when I hit the "not this time" button. This has resulted in me having to parallel park with no backup camera since the camera froze on the frame shown when I pressed the button. Fortunately the proximity sensors still worked. Tesla says it can't find anything wrong with my car. My center screen freezes at least a couple times per week.

Sorry to revive an old thread - I'm hopefully getting a 2016 Model S soon (AP1) and was wondering if autopark will mean avoiding the wheel rims scraping the kerb? Has anyone used auto park and still contacted the kerb? Also, if parking manually, does autopilot warn you if you are about to get too close to the kerb? Thanks!

Autopark is annoying many times. It has "allowed" me to become comfortable with the rear camera graphic & the tilted rear view mirrors, for accurate parking. I'm getting pretty good at it ;0) Another interesting upgrade is that I get the "P" symbol many times when I am waiting at a light with cars all around. I've never dared it to park in that situation tho ;0o

It doesn't try to park particularly close the the curb, so I don't think curb rash is much of an issue. As for how well it works in general, I've had many occasions when it didn't identify a spot I thought it should, but only one that I can recall where once it tried to park in a spot it was unable to do so. However, the problem of needing there to be essentially no traffic on the street you're parking on remains.

• Informative
Reactions: vitesse