Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autoparking - never saw that "P"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have MY for about a month and I never saw that "P" on the screen to even test the autoparking. Is that something I need to enable? I have the FSD, so I am assuming it is included.

Had the same questions earlier this year. Simple answer is you need to have cars on both sides of the open parking space for it to detect the open space and show the "P" icon if you want to perpendicular park.

From the manual..

Autopark detects potential perpendicular parking spaces that are at least 9.5 feet (2.9 meters) wide with a vehicle parked on each side. Autopark detects parallel parking spaces that are at least 20 feet (6 meters), but less than 30 feet (9 meters) long. Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces.

I don't use it much as I tend to park out where there are no other cars and people have actually honked at me while the car was auto parking as they thought I was going to hit their car. Plus it's slow to park.

I didn't look for parallel parking spot but I did drive across Walmart lot and it never showed up.

Re: garage - MY is long and I have shelving units. So, I have very limited space in front and in the back. You have to have balls to park your MY, not auto park ;-) Find the exact spot and hang one tennis ball in front and, if you like, one at the back so it touches your windshield when it is time to stop. ;-)

But others here have reported that they use it to park in their garage because spacing is tight. I guess I should go to some parking lot and try it to at least see where/when this mystical 'P' shows up.
This actually works quite well. Pull up to your garage and double press the Park button. Get out and close the door. Mirrors fold in and car pulls into garage on it's own. I do it all the time.

I didn't look for parallel parking spot but I did drive across Walmart lot and it never showed up.

Re: garage - MY is long and I have shelving units. So, I have very limited space in front and in the back. You have to have balls to park your MY, not auto park ;-) Find the exact spot and hang one tennis ball in front and, if you like, one at the back so it touches your windshield when it is time to stop. ;-)
I'm good with the front/back. It's the side to side I worry about. Probably due to the MY yelling STOP as it starts inside and is close to the edge of garage wall.

This actually works quite well. Pull up to your garage and double press the Park button. Get out and close the door. Mirrors fold in and car pulls into garage on it's own. I do it all the time.
Does it give you any indication? I've tried a double press and get nothing.

I'd actually prefer to stay in the car at first to jam the brake if/when I see it about to crash. Wherever else I saw a park discussion there was the claim that you could.

Does it give you any indication? I've tried a double press and get nothing.

I'd actually prefer to stay in the car at first to jam the brake if/when I see it about to crash. Wherever else I saw a park discussion there was the claim that you could.
Here are the instructions from the manual:

1. On the touchscreen, ensure that Requires Continuous Press is disabled (touch Controls> Autopilot> Summon> Require Continuous Press> No).

2, Close all doors and trunks

3. With Model Y powered on and the Park gear engaged, double press the Park button on the gear stalk. The touchscreen displays a popup window.

4. On the touchscreen, choose the direction of travel.

5, Exit Model Y and close the drivers door.

The car will now fold its mirrors and pull into the garage. Ie would guess that you could stay in the car if you wanted, but you can also stop it by lifting a door handle from the outside. I've used it quite a few times, and it has not come close to hitting anything.

Same here. I don't use Autopark at all.

You need to drive pretty close to the parked cars and creep-up slowly to get the "P".

Had the same questions earlier this year. Simple answer is you need to have cars on both sides of the open parking space for it to detect the open space and show the "P" icon if you want to perpendicular park.

From the manual..

Autopark detects potential perpendicular parking spaces that are at least 9.5 feet (2.9 meters) wide with a vehicle parked on each side. Autopark detects parallel parking spaces that are at least 20 feet (6 meters), but less than 30 feet (9 meters) long. Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces.

I don't use it much as I tend to park out where there are no other cars and people have actually honked at me while the car was auto parking as they thought I was going to hit their car. Plus it's slow to park.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I got it in and out of the garage with the summon but it wasn't very satisfying. On the way out, it stopped a couple times and I had to restart the process.

On the way in on the first shot I was somewhat purposely misaligned. Not much. The car might have made it in straight but would have been very close to the right side. If I were doing it manually I would have slightly turned left and then straightened. Summon really swung the wheel way out of proportion to what was needed. Thought I might hit when it turned sharply the other way. Went a little further and then just quit. I backed up and aligned it as I would have done manually. As centered as I could do. Then it managed to negotiate its way in with stopping and requiring a restart only once. It also stopped way before I do and I stop when I get the STOP at 12 inches.

I’m personally not going to use summon except under very limited circumstances.

1. It’s ultrasonic based. Subject to strange reflections and has limited “sight” (it can basically tell the distance from the center of the sensor to the closest object)

2. It’s totally blind in the center of the car. Sensors are around front and rear bumpers. Fine pulling into a parking spot between similar cars. Not a garage where things are sticking out.

I just feel like there is a small % chance of problems. And I don’t want to be the unlucky one.

I’m hoping a vision based summon solution is coming soon.