Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 1.01 coming soon...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with this in the last few days puts me squarely in the "upset" camp. It slows down much too much for my taste. I had to turn off the TACC several times for this reason. It was much easier to just drive manually than to try to override TACC when it decided to slow inappropriately. Especially since I couldn't figure out how to predict when it was going to slow and when it was going to keep up to speed.

OTOH, my wife liked it :)

The obvious solution is a parameter on the setting screen somewhere that controls how much it slows. Or at least a way to disable it completely.

But a more serious issue is that it seems to slow down AFTER entering the corner. That is clearly insufficient for preventing a serious accident if the entrance speed is too fast to negotiate the corner. All the current implementation seems to do is make it more comfortable for those who usually drive slowly in the first place.

Don't forget your right foot, just because it tries to slow down doesn't mean you can't speed it back up.

I agree. I love AP. I use it almost every time I drive the car. It's changed the way I drive and enjoy my Tesla. I've noticed that my consumption has dropped a ton since getting AP because I let the car handle a lot of driving and I'm not utilizing the P-ness of my car as much any more. To do it again, I doubt I'd by a P.

Like you, I own a P85D, but I'm still utilizing the "P-ness" of my car during city and suburban driving, and I'm utilizing it every chance I get.

I probably would buy a P again, as a first car, but my next Tesla, to go along with this one, will probably not be a performance model.

But I agree with you, I love AP too, and it has definitely changed my highway driving habits. I use it on the highway now without hesitation.

As long as they don't slow it down too much, I'm good with the effort to slow the car in the curves, because weather conditions and road conditions might dictate that.

However, no one wants to slow to a relative crawl to go through a curve.

Last edited:
naurunappula.jpg

For those of you talking about the car slowing, and overriding that by using the Go pedal:

Is the car only slowing when both TACC and Auto Steer Beta are enabled, or is the car now slowing in curves when just TACC is enabled?

If it is slowing only when both TACC and Auto Steer Beta are enabled, I would think that using the Go pedal to provide more speed would result in the car wanting steering input as well (which is fine.) Does it, or does it manage to steer on its own, even as you increase the speed beyond what it was comfortable with?

If the car is now slowing for curves with only TACC enabled, that would be a completely new development.

Amazing news ! I for one look forward to the car slowing before a turn ;) Or they should put the camera and radar on a swivel like the Tucker headlight :tongue:

These sounds like great improvements but like most of you folks I already love AP and use it very regularly, and it saves energy, and most of all it saves nerves and years :cool:

I notice the car decides to stay center, or a bit to the left or right of the lane to keep thing a bit safe from nearby car or curb. I've notice that when there is a large semi with trailer and a curb, the car moves within inches of the trailer to get away from the curb. I don't think its seeing the trailer unless I'm near the wheel. Anyone else seeing same?
Ya I'm usually keeping to the curb-lane to allow passing and while it's impressively keeping me out of sewers and curb-based potholes by keeping distance using ultrasonics, it doesn't seem to care as much about huge steel cars and trucks much closer on the other side, sometimes. And it seems ultrasonics > lanekeeping, but if it's lanekeeping, it usually picks the left line, and keeps tight to it, pitting me side-to-side with gas belching monstrosities. I prefer to keep well away from other cars so it's kinda new to me but not too unnerving, and not at all alarming to other drivers so far.

Yes, but doesn't that pretty much defeat the whole purpose of having cruise control in the first place? I tried do that for a while and quickly decided that it was easier just to drive manually.
TACC isn't always ideal, and it takes its time starting the car up again which can tweak drivers behind but one thing that I've found very entertaining is manually accelerating while the full AP is going. The first time I tried it I kinda expected the AP to drop out. Though it's probably just about the same amount of data to the computers, I imagine them surging to action to deal with new parameters because of my silly human decision.

Who's your daddy, Skynet ? #famouslastwords

and this (edit: again, nice one BerTX !)

For those of you talking about the car slowing, and overriding that by using the Go pedal:

Is the car only slowing when both TACC and Auto Steer Beta are enabled, or is the car now slowing in curves when just TACC is enabled?

If it is slowing only when both TACC and Auto Steer Beta are enabled, I would think that using the Go pedal to provide more speed would result in the car wanting steering input as well (which is fine.) Does it, or does it manage to steer on its own, even as you increase the speed beyond what it was comfortable with?

If the car is now slowing for curves with only TACC enabled, that would be a completely new development.

It slows with only TACC, no Auto Steer.

After a few scary fails, I decided that Auto Steer isn't quite ready for normal (for me) cornering speeds (we're not talking racing speeds here; just a bit more than average).

I may be crazy. But my car has always slowed when turning on a curve with TACC. Even before AP. I posted about it in a thread months ago. I like it. Yes,it is a bit too slow for me. But I prefer the caution of it.

Did anyone say their cars did as well? Because mine definitely does not, and I think that's the behavior I prefer. I guess I'll have to see what I think of it once it starts slowing for curves on its own, assuming its about to start doing that.

I notice the car decides to stay center, or a bit to the left or right of the lane to keep thing a bit safe from nearby car or curb. I've notice that when there is a large semi with trailer and a curb, the car moves within inches of the trailer to get away from the curb. I don't think its seeing the trailer unless I'm near the wheel. Anyone else seeing same?
I've experienced something similar. I've wished I could nudge the steering wheel a bit to send feedback to Tesla that I'd prefer the car to be a little more to the left or right.

Seems to be just when there is a curb without a lane marking. I have no doubt it will improve with future releases. (Maybe in 1.0.1!)

"Slowing before turns" would take more intelligence than AP has been currently endowed. Remember, it's designed as a somewhat static speed, long straight highway mechanism (Although it very effectively drives me all over town as well). Anticipation of a curve, and then accelleration out of it would take larger knowledge of your intentions and therefore, probably a connection to GPS. That'll come, but remember this is just AP, not autonomous driving.

I really enjoy AP driving both highway and city as I monitor my car (Nick), ready to take over at any time. One push-back on the TACC stem and I'm there. It's taken a bit to learn to use it most effectively, but now I feel like there is even more of a partnership between me and Nick. I let him drive as often as he wants, he lets me know when he needs help. I find AP an extraordinary first effort, the UI is commensurate to the task at hand and it's vastly increased my love of the car.

I've experienced something similar. I've wished I could nudge the steering wheel a bit to send feedback to Tesla that I'd prefer the car to be a little more to the left or right.

Seems to be just when there is a curb without a lane marking. I have no doubt it will improve with future releases. (Maybe in 1.0.1!)

For now I'd do a voice bug report with the steering wheel button and say something like "Bug Report, autopilot riding too far left to avoid concrete but puts me too close to truck". Or maybe "Bug Report, autopilot proximity sensors push car too far away from center of lane, oversensitive".

Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model S takes a snapshot of its systems, including screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model S.

I'd say the snapshot will include enough autopilot data to make it clear what you mean.

Last edited:
"Slowing before turns" would take more intelligence than AP has been currently endowed. Remember, it's designed as a somewhat static speed, long straight highway mechanism (Although it very effectively drives me all over town as well). Anticipation of a curve, and then accelleration out of it would take larger knowledge of your intentions and therefore, probably a connection to GPS. That'll come, but remember this is just AP, not autonomous driving.

I really enjoy AP driving both highway and city as I monitor my car (Nick), ready to take over at any time. One push-back on the TACC stem and I'm there. It's taken a bit to learn to use it most effectively, but now I feel like there is even more of a partnership between me and Nick. I let him drive as often as he wants, he lets me know when he needs help. I find AP an extraordinary first effort, the UI is commensurate to the task at hand and it's vastly increased my love of the car.

Tell that to my car which is definitely slowing for curves.

"Slowing before turns" would take more intelligence than AP has been currently endowed. Remember, it's designed as a somewhat static speed, long straight highway mechanism

I really enjoy AP driving both highway and city as I monitor my car (Nick), ready to take over at any time. One push-back on the TACC stem and I'm there. It's taken a bit to learn to use it most effectively, but now I feel like there is even more of a partnership between me and Nick. I let him drive as often as he wants, he lets me know when he needs help.

Tell that to my car which is definitely slowing for curves.

Don't be ridiculous, Stoney--perkiset can't talk to your car.

He'll have to ask Nick to do it for him!

Just finished a 550 mile day long trip with mostly TACC and Autopilot engaged and with it set at 70 mph, TACC definitely slowed to around 64-65ish on sharper turns (when I had already disengaged lane keeping because of the twisty back-lane highways). Then after straightening out, pushed back up to 70. I'm 99% certain I was the first Tesla on these rural Missouri roads, so it's probably GPS and/or lane keeping at play even though it wasn't active at the time.