Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 1 (AP1) steering column stalk question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm planning to call Tesla technical support tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone has come across this situation... I couldn't find anything using search.

My new to me P85D with Autopilot 1 has a cruise control / autopilot stalk without the rotating end cap to set follow distance. It has a non-rotating cap, and displays " - - " on the instrument panel where you'd normally see the follow distance and car icon. Did some AP1 cars have this stalk design or is this a part mixup?

I also have a Model S 75D with AP1 so I'm familiar with the functionality. Plus all versions of the owners manual I can find reference the rotating end cap to set follow distance. I'm at a loss for this P85D, unless it somehow received the wrong part during it's previous ownership.

Anyway, so far, loving it, but curious if anyone can shine some light.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure no production AP1 car ever came with that stalk by design - and I would have expected that a parts mix-up like that would be immediately obvious to the initial buyer and they've get it fixed under warranty when the car was first delivered (unless they didn't have AP enabled, maybe?)

The first P85Ds were delivered in December of 2014 I think - 3 months after they started installing AP hardware in all cars.

How much do you know about the car's history? Is it possible that someone has been mixing and matching pieces from salvage cars?

Thanks for all the replies! I think it's clear now that it has the wrong part. How that came to be, I have no idea...

I have the car's history and I know it was refurbished by Tesla between the previous owner and my ownership, so it's possible that a technician accidentally installed the wrong stalk, or possible that the stalk has been wrong all along and the previous owner didn't notice. Autopilot works, but with a super long follow distance.

I have a service appointment for next week to remedy it, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying driving it myself. :)