Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot (1) Misreads KPH Signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took a road trip through eastern Canada and to make speed limit compliance easier I switched the touchscreen from miles to kilometers. Everything worked fine except that Autopilot continuously misread the speed limit signs.

The speed limit that appeared on the instrument panel was always much higher than what the signs said (e.g. 160kph). I didn't do the calculation, but I suspect Autopilot was reading the signs as mph and then converting to kph. Did I neglect to change a setting somewhere or is this a bug?

AP 1 driven 2000 km in the last 5 days from Alberta to British Columbia, no such issue noted at all
Lucky you! Have you been in the USA lately? I think another Canadian owner reported only experiencing the problem after a trip South of the 49th parallel, but I'm not positive. Maybe you just have better luck!

Speed Bug

The Junior Programmers are at it again

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave
Neither AP1 nor AP2 read the speed limit signs (they can, but that feature set is not enabled). Speed limits are picked up from the navigation database (not always accurate).
Sorry, but that's incorrect. In my area there's a 25 mph speed limit sign on an angled side road that AP1 reads every time a pass it on a posted 45 mph road. AP slows down until it sees another 45 mph sign 30 yards later. Also, AP1 can't interpret "END 45 mph" correctly and remains restricted to that speed on a 55 mph highway...

Neither AP1 nor AP2 read the speed limit signs (they can, but that feature set is not enabled). Speed limits are picked up from the navigation database (not always accurate).
AP1 definitely reads signs. I was traveling through Seattle last Monday and there is a stretch of I-5 with variable speed limits, so the pre-programmed maps can't know what the current speed limit is. As I passed each digital sign, AP1 correctly read the sign and displayed the current speed limit. I was especially impressed that in one area the carpool lane had a different speed limit from the rest of the lanes and the car was able to display the speed for the lane I was in. In that one instance, the speed limit changed to the limit that was displayed on 5 out of the 6 signs as I approached the sign array, but corrected itself and changed to the speed for my lane as I passed directly underneath the sign.

And just to be clear, each array of speed limit signs was different than the previous stretch of freeway, so the car was making adjustments as I progressed towards downtown.